Brian Brohm Wll Never Have a Better Chance To Start

NFL history is littered with former 1st 2nd and 3rd round QB's backing up starters, still trying to hang on as 3rd stringers, or out of the NFL completely after only a few years. I have no idea what the heck happened to Brian Brohm from the moment he was selected by the Pack in the second round of the draft a few years ago, till today as one of 3 mediocre struggling young QB's vying for the Bills' starting job a few weeks before training camp.

But this kid will never have a better situation to take over a starting job in the NFL then this summer:

1) Everyone on this board seems to think his new head coach is a modern day offensive genius who specializes in helping average QB's play above average football. I am a little more skeptical on that front, but for Brohm, Gaily has to be at least one of the best head coach choices to come into his picture, that's for sure. My choice was John Gruden, who went to the playoffs with inconsistent but talented Rich Gannon, and then won a SB with less consistent and less mobile Brad Johnson. But Chan it is, and the guy has had success with average QB's.

2) Trent Edwards was a 3rd round pick, and Fitzpatrick was a 7th round pick.

3) Neither Edwards nor Fitzy did anything last season to deserve to keep Brohm out of the picture this preseason.

4) Brohm has a lot to prove, coming off his record setting junior season in Louisville, and then falling off enough his senior year to cause him to drop into the second round of the draft before Green Bay selected him, a team that already had Aaron Rogers as their established Favre replacement anyway.

5) Any head coach coming into this bleak of a QB situation, would lean towards a new starter, in my humble opinion. Gaily's ego might like the idea of Brohm being "his guy" in this new era of the Buffalo Bills, as opposed to the two guys that played 15 of the 16 games last year.

In any event, Brohm is who I hope wins out. Sure Edwards and Fitzy are both still only in their mid 20's, and maybe both could be viable starters in the NFL. But I would like to spend this non-playoff season, the 11th consecutive one, watching the Bills play as differently as possible from the past three non-playoff seasons. A new quarterback would certainly be different even if he struggles at times. Obviously he'll be on a short choking leash, with Edwards and Fitz having as much to prove and as much motivation as Brohm has heading into September 12th and beyond.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL history is littered with former 1st 2nd and 3rd round QB's backing up starters, still trying to hang on as 3rd stringers, or out of the NFL completely after only a few years. I have no idea what the heck happened to Brian Brohm from the moment he was selected by the Pack in the second round of the draft a few years ago, till today as one of 3 mediocre struggling young QB's vying for the Bills' starting job a few weeks before training camp.

But this kid will never have a better situation to take over a starting job in the NFL then this summer:

1) Everyone on this board seems to think his new head coach is a modern day offensive genius who specializes in helping average QB's play above average football. I am a little more skeptical on that front, but for Brohm, Gaily has to be at least one of the best head coach choices to come into his picture, that's for sure. My choice was John Gruden, who went to the playoffs with inconsistent but talented Rich Gannon, and then won a SB with less consistent and less mobile Brad Johnson. But Chan it is, and the guy has had success with average QB's.

3) Neither Edwards nor Fitzy did anything last season to deserve to keep Brohm out of the picture this preseason.

4) Brohm has a lot to prove, coming off his record setting junior season in Louisville, and then falling off enough his senior year to cause him to drop into the second round of the draft before Green Bay selected him, a team that already had Aaron Rogers as their established Favre replacement anyway.

5) Any head coach coming into this bleak of a QB situation, would lean towards a new starter, in my humble opinion. Gaily's ego might like the idea of Brohm being "his guy" in this new era of the Buffalo Bills, as opposed to the two guys that played 15 of the 16 games last year.

In any event, Brohm is who I hope wins out. Sure Edwards and Fitzy are both still only in their mid 20's, and maybe both could be viable starters in the NFL. But I would like to spend this non-playoff season, the 11th consecutive one, watching the Bills play as differently as possible from the past three non-playoff seasons. A new quarterback would certainly be different even if he struggles at times. Obviously he'll be on a short choking leash, with Edwards and Fitz having as much to prove and as much motivation as Brohm has heading into September 12th and beyond.

I really enjoyed your post. I too am hoping that Brohm becomes the starter because we don't have anything to lose. Personally, I think Fitz gives us the best chance of winning, but that's only 4-6 wins anyway. So why not see if the kid can have a comeback. IMO, TE is not a leader, has no command presence, injury ridden, and plays scared. Not the qualities of a NFL QB.

1) Everyone on this board seems to think his new head coach is a modern day offensive genius who specializes in helping average QB's play above average football.

Chan Gailey is a decent HC and decent OC. Nothing more. Let's not get carried away anointing him as a genius who can salvage any reclamation project qb he is given. If the OL plays well Gailey will be successful as an offensive coach. If the OL is a disaster, like last year, Chan Gailey will be a pedestrian offensive coach.

Succeeding in this very competitive league is primarily due to talent on the roster. It has little to do with the fictitious genius coach of the day. The problem with the Bills is a lack of talent. No scheme made in heaven can compensate for that dearth of talent.

listen to the Thurman Thomas interview on Howard Simon Show WGR550. I can't access the link from work so I'll paraphrase, in addition to Thomas liking Brohm's questions re Kelly, Thomas said Brohm told him that he thought he was a first round pick and got disapointed when he fell to the second round. He got to GB and realized he had no chance at playing and got "lazy" Thomas observed Brohm's complete desire to lead this team now and seize this opportunity. Thomas commented that as long as he has known Trent Edwards, Thomas has never observed that desire from Trent

Would you want Brohm to start even if he's been outplayed in OTAs by TE and Fitz? And continues to be outplayed in preseason?

BillsPhan and others seem to think Brohm should start because we don't know what we (fans) have in him, when we know Fitz and TE are inadequate.

We might not know what Brohm can do, but I think Gailey and the coaching staff have a pretty good idea by now.

And some seem to think Brohm can't be worse than TE or Fitz. But... YES he can! Anyone remember Gary Marangi?

It's hard to know which QB will do best under Gailey's tutelage and in his scheme. But Brohm has certainly done nothing to convince me - an average fan - that he's that guy. And I'll be surprised if he convinces Gailey. I think you'll be disappointed when you learn the preseason 'pecking order' and opening day starter.

I really don't care who starts... I just want the Bills to win and at this point I'll trust the coaches to figure out who gives us the best chance.

Great post but I disagree with your 5th point. Any head coach is going to select the guy they believe gives them the best shot to win. Gailey has to show the team has changed and improved and he must have the 11 best guys on the field at any time to do that. My persoanl hunch is that Edwards will start but I hope there is real competition for the job.

If Brohm is the better guy then so be it.

listen to the Thurman Thomas interview on Howard Simon Show WGR550. I can't access the link from work so I'll paraphrase, in addition to Thomas liking Brohm's questions re Kelly, Thomas said Brohm told him that he thought he was a first round pick and got disapointed when he fell to the second round. He got to GB and realized he had no chance at playing and got "lazy" Thomas observed Brohm's complete desire to lead this team now and seize this opportunity. Thomas commented that as long as he has known Trent Edwards, Thomas has never observed that desire from Trent

Outstanding. All of that makes sense. Now should he have gotten lazy in GB? No, but it is good to recognize he did that and is now motivated to be the top guy. Maybe now we will see if this guy is good or not.

Well yeah, as in the what was it maybe 8 games last year he was with the Bill's he got to play in one. That's all he's ever started. Some coming in mid season with a conservative coach and a totally screwed up offense, he wasn't given much of a chance. I'm not saying BB is the guy, but he certainly is the least known of what you may or may not have.

But Brohm has certainly done nothing to convince me - an average fan - that he's that guy.

Yes he can be worse or he could be better. But you're assuming the glass is half empty based on nothing you or anyone has seen of him. So as a rookie he wasn't able to beat out Rogers whom in hindsight has turned out much better than ever thought. At the time I'm sure the reason GB picked Brohm was they weren't all that confident in Rogers yet otherwise why use another high draft pick on a QB. But Rogers proved him wrong, so BB got demoted. Well apparently he didn't handle his demotion very well and that caused him to fall all the way to #3 QB. OK you can fault him for that, but at the end of the day does it matter as unless you're number 1 you're not going to play anyway unless someone is hurt. So other than seeing him in a little bit of pre-season games, there isn't anyone who knows anything about what he can or can't do. And Gary Marangi certainly didn't have the "pedigree" coming into the NFL that BB has. Granted you have to live up to it but if he plays we'll all find out.

And some seem to think Brohm can't be worse than TE or Fitz. But... YES he can! Anyone remember Gary Marangi?

It's easy to say he won't work out as there are many more failures than sucesses for NFL QB's. But anyone who claims to know he doesn't have "IT" in truth knows nothing as if you really were as smart as you think, you wouldn't be posting on some message board.

I agree with the post. I just hope this part is in no way the deciding factor.

In the end, we're hoping that one of our 3 QBs rises above the others and leads our offense to success. None of these three would be a guaranteed starter in another team. If they want to prove themselves, there is no better scenario than this one to accomplish that.

Outstanding. All of that makes sense. Now should he have gotten lazy in GB? No, but it is good to recognize he did that and is now motivated to be the top guy. Maybe now we will see if this guy is good or not.

The notion that a qb is NOW motivated to be the top guy is absurd. When BB was a rookie with the Packers you don't think he was motivated to make the roster, even knowing that he wasn't going to get much playing time? What is the new news you are telling us about? Of course a qb competing to start is going to be motivated. What would be real news is a competing qb declaring that he is not ready to start. This commentary about Brohm being serious now compared to previously not being as serious is beyond being silly.

Brohm is going to compete with Edwards and Fitz. The HC will soon make a decision. That is how the starting qb should be selected. If you can't accept that Edwards might be the starting qb then that is your problem and self induced neurosis. Judging players on prior performances is nonsensical. All there qb candidates will be given a fair opportunity to become the starter. The decision will be made much sooner than most people think.

DarthIce, what is odd about you is that you want to disqualify TE to be the starter because of his prior performances yet you won't consider disqualifying Brohm from being a starting qb because of his dismal prior performances. I guess logic and consistency certainly aren't traits you have in abundance.

The notion that a qb is NOW motivated to be the top guy is absurd. When BB was a rookie with the Packers you don't think he was motivated to make the roster, even knowing that he wasn't going to get much playing time? What is the new news you are telling us about? Of course a qb competing to start is going to be motivated. What would be real news is a competing qb declaring that he is not ready to start. This commentary about Brohm being serious now compared to previously not being as serious is beyond being silly.

Brohm is going to compete with Edwards and Fitz. The HC will soon make a decision. That is how the starting qb should be selected. If you can't accept that Edwards might be the starting qb then that is your problem and self induced neurosis. Judging players on prior performances is nonsensical. All there qb candidates will be given a fair opportunity to become the starter. The decision will be made much sooner than most people think.

DarthIce, what is odd about you is that you want to disqualify TE to be the starter because of his prior performances yet you won't consider disqualifying Brohm from being a starting qb because of his dismal prior performances. I guess logic and consistency certainly aren't traits you have in abundance.

"Judging players on prior performances is nonsensical"

really? this statement is too ludicriuos to even be labeled "nonsensical"

Good post, but actually, he did not drop off his Sr. year, it was by far his best year as a QB statistically. Louisville dropped off and finished 6-6 because they no longer had a defense that could stop a high school. Brohm had a couple of bad games trying to force things while playing catch up, but overall he had by far his best statistical season.

He threw for 1000 more yards, 13 more TD's, and raised his comp % from 63.6% to 65.1%. His QB rating did drop a few points because his ints went up from having to play catch up so much, but was still 151.73 and still had 29tds to only 12ints.

The reason his stock fell was because Louisville finished 6-6 and Ryan and Flacco were also shooting up the boards.

You mean brohm's 1 reg season game where he didnt even have a QB coach helping him with the gameplan? Compare that to trents 3 yrs of subpar play.

Good post, but actually, he did not drop off his Sr. year, it was by far his best year as a QB statistically. Louisville dropped off and finished 6-6 because they no longer had a defense that could stop a high school. Brohm had a couple of bad games trying to force things while playing catch up, but overall he had by far his best statistical season.

He threw for 1000 more yards, 13 more TD's, and raised his comp % from 63.6% to 65.1%. His QB rating did drop a few points because his ints went up from having to play catch up so much, but was still 151.73 and still had 29tds to only 12ints.

The reason his stock fell was because Louisville finished 6-6 and Ryan and Flacco were also shooting up the boards.

Accurate history - as I recollect he also had a thumb injury which I think was his senior year.

Accurate history - as I recollect he also had a thumb injury which I think was his senior year.

I agree with both you and alphadawg, I think the main thing to keep in mind is that we got a top end guy for nothing so far, so anything positive he does is strictly a bonus.

As I said in a previous post, IMO, Brohm going to GB was probably one of the worst things that couldve happened to him, and not surprisingly, he didnt handle it well.

However, I trust that Nix was right to bring him in last yr, and now BB will show his true potential.

Its Brohm or Bust in 2010 folks, Get used to it!!!!!

I agree with both you and alphadawg, I think the main thing to keep in mind is that we got a top end guy for nothing so far, so anything positive he does is strictly a bonus.

As I said in a previous post, IMO, Brohm going to GB was probably one of the worst things that couldve happened to him, and not surprisingly, he didnt handle it well.

However, I trust that Nix was right to bring him in last yr, and now BB will show his true potential.

Its Brohm or Bust in 2010 folks, Get used to it!!!!!

that was the gist of what Thurman Thomas told Howard Simon last week; that Brohm's head wasn't in the GB situation. He has stated that himself several times. By all reports, he appears primed to regain his form in this offensive system.

He has considerable up-side but needs to play and develop not stand on the side lines watching Trent check down

that was the gist of what Thurman Thomas told Howard Simon last week; that Brohm's head wasn't in the GB situation. He has stated that himself several times. By all reports, he appears primed to regain his form in this offensive system.

He has considerable up-side but needs to play and develop not stand on the side lines watching Trent check down

I just don't see what trent has to offer as a starter, I cant think of one redeemable quality he posses as a QB that makes me think "Yes, thats the guy, no doubt about it"

I just don't see what trent has to offer as a starter, I cant think of one redeemable quality he posses as a QB that makes me think "Yes, thats the guy, no doubt about it"

Yes exactly. He lost the job last year and has never thrown for 300 yards; he appears timid and brittle; is not a Bills fan.

He wasn't a big time qb coming out of college, so what are people waiting on here?

There's no future, what's the point in playing him?

Brohm needs pt to develop the potential there