Jets may not have a happy camper in their midst, Revis

With time waning before training camp and no progress apparent in negotiations, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis' camp is ratcheting up the rhetoric.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News writes that Revis is "fully prepared" to hold out of training camp and isn't worried about the 30-day rule that could put Revis at risk of losing an accrued season towards free agency. Translation: Revis says he's ready to hold out past August 10 if he doesn't get a deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...past-august-10/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I owned a team and some clown tried that **** with me, I just let him sit and fine his ass. Then I wait till he is a FA and tag his ass...hell maybe two years straight just because.

!@#$ these clowns. They are EMPLOYEES, Time for the owners to re establish that fact.

If I owned a team and some clown tried that **** with me, I just let him sit and fine his ass. Then I wait till he is a FA and tag his ass...hell maybe two years straight just because.

!@#$ these clowns. They are EMPLOYEES, Time for the owners to re establish that fact.

Worst post ever. If Revis blows his knee out, which can happen on any play in the most physical sport in the world, the Jets will cut him and pay him nothing. Players should try and get paid as much as they can when they can because the NFL is a cruel business with no guaranteed contracts.

Worst post ever. If Revis blows his knee out, which can happen on any play in the most physical sport in the world, the Jets will cut him and pay him nothing. Players should try and get paid as much as they can when they can because the NFL is a cruel business with no guaranteed contracts.

Not saying I agree with Darth but c'mon...how much money is enough? Should we feel bad for Revis cause they're offering 60 million instead of 100? WTF screw that chump.

Not saying I agree with Darth but c'mon...how much money is enough? Should we feel bad for Revis cause they're offering 60 million instead of 100? WTF screw that chump.

What about the billion owners who sit in a press box and gets paid off players who are risking permanent injury or shortly their lives. This same players also didn't get a cent while in college while they were making millions for their school.

Players deserve every cent they can get. Especially when a league is making as much money as the NFL is.

C. Biscuit-are you really an executive with the players union? Sure players deserved to get paid. But they should feel fortunate to be playing a game and getting paid for it. You don't think the Jets will survive without Daryl Revis? He is good, but did you see him get toasted over and over in the AFC Championship game by numerous Colt receivers? There are hundreds of guys that can line up and play DB. A lot of these players have such inflated worth it is ridiculous. There are thousands and thousands of guys who would love to play this great game for much less money than what any of these prima donas make.

Football is the utmost team game. And other than a very few special QB's (Brees, Manning, Brady) everyone is replacable. And that is what makes this game so beautiful. I would love to see the Jets just say to Revis. You will not be paid #1 DB money in the league. You don't like it, go sit at home.

This is completely wrong. The NFL may not have guaranteed contracts, but these deals contain money that is guaranteed. Even if he blew his knee out, he would still get money from the NFLPA, a payment from his insurance company, and the rest of the guaranteed money on his contract.

Let's not act like players will never see another dime if they have a career ending injury, because they will.

What about the billion owners who sit in a press box and gets paid off players who are risking permanent injury or shortly their lives. This same players also didn't get a cent while in college while they were making millions for their school.

Players deserve every cent they can get. Especially when a league is making as much money as the NFL is.

Guess what? If the players don't like it they can get a job with Joe the plumber.

The league belongs to the owners. They can run their business however they see fit. If they want the best product they need to negotiate. It's really up to them. Almost everyone is replaceable..

C. Biscuit-are you really an executive with the players union? Sure players deserved to get paid. But they should feel fortunate to be playing a game and getting paid for it. You don't think the Jets will survive without Daryl Revis? He is good, but did you see him get toasted over and over in the AFC Championship game by numerous Colt receivers? There are hundreds of guys that can line up and play DB. A lot of these players have such inflated worth it is ridiculous. There are thousands and thousands of guys who would love to play this great game for much less money than what any of these prima donas make.

Football is the utmost team game. And other than a very few special QB's (Brees, Manning, Brady) everyone is replacable. And that is what makes this game so beautiful. I would love to see the Jets just say to Revis. You will not be paid #1 DB money in the league. You don't like it, go sit at home.

I played through college and know how brutal it is. I know guys who messed up their back and it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Players deserve every cent.

Guess what? If the players don't like it they can get a job with Joe the plumber.

The league belongs to the owners. They can run their business however they see fit. If they want the best product they need to negotiate. It's really up to them. Almost everyone is replaceable..

Don't most plummers have a union? Because if they do, they are fighting to get as much money as possible jsut like NFL players do.

And BS that every player is replacable. How many UFL, CFL, or AFL games do you watch? Because I don't watch any because it's minor league football. And if the Jets don't give Revis his money, another team would line up to do it.

I played through college and know how brutal it is. I know guys who messed up their back and it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Players deserve every cent.

OK. But, do they deserve to renegotiate their contract every year? Because Revis still has 3 years left (if memory serves corrrect) on his contract. He's had a great year; therefore, feels he deserves more money. Ok. But, can the owners, then, negotiate down each year when these great players (Haynesworth) have an average year?

They are the save as actors in a movie- if you want someone good, you have to pay for it.

OK. But, do they deserve to renegotiate their contract every year? Because Revis still has 3 years left (if memory serves corrrect) on his contract. He's had a great year; therefore, feels he deserves more money. Ok. But, can the owners, then, negotiate down each year when these great players (Haynesworth) have an average year?

When a guy has proven himself as Revis has and is considered the best at his position, he deserves to get paid more than his original rookie contract. If he decided to re-do his next contract, then I would have more of a problem with it. You have to strike when you have the most value and there is no guarantee Revis won't suffer any injury or have his play slip. This is his best time to get paid.

Players dedicated long ago to take those ricks. I have zero sympathy for the players. He can go work at Burger King and not have to worry about injury.

It's one of the reasons they are paid so well to begin with is because of that risk. They can't keep going around talking about they should be paid *even more* because of that same risk.

Players are disingenuous when they say stuff like that. He'd still want that money even if the contract was guaranteed.

You go into your next review and try to get your employer to pay because you "might" get hurt. Heck, just try to tell him that he should give you a raise for next year because you will continue to perform at your job.

I may be wrong, but doesn't this guy have 3 yrs left on his contract? Aren't they offering right now to sign him to a contract worth up to $100 million? Isn't his main sticking point that the picture of sanity Al frickin Davis gave that dude with the funny name $15 million a year, and he's only being offered $12 million/yr?

I'm all for players getting what they can get, but come on man. The world doesn't stop and start at your convenience. Plus I hope he does hold out and/or squeeze out a huge contract so they can't sign the rest of their guys. Their loss is our gain.

When a guy has proven himself as Revis has and is considered the best at his position, he deserves to get paid more than his original rookie contract. If he decided to re-do his next contract, then I would have more of a problem with it. You have to strike when you have the most value and there is no guarantee Revis won't suffer any injury or have his play slip. This is his best time to get paid.

strike when the iron is hot,heck ya. however every one of these guys already signed a "sweet deal" when they joined the league. work the contract u signed. be a men of your word playas.

Don't most plummers have a union? Because if they do, they are fighting to get as much money as possible jsut like NFL players do.

And BS that every player is replacable. How many UFL, CFL, or AFL games do you watch? Because I don't watch any because it's minor league football. And if the Jets don't give Revis his money, another team would line up to do it.

The union rep for the players was in the owner's pocket on the last go around, LOL.

So essentially, you're saying the fact that he has a signed contract should mean nothing?

OK, so let's say the Jets make him the highest paid CB today and sign him to a 5 year deal. Then in 2011, he's just average. Hardy beats him for 2 TDs, even. Do the Jets get a new deal and cut him down to the 5th or 7th or whatever best CB level, because that's how he played in 2011?

If it's fair for him to get a new, higher contract every time he plays good; shouldn't the owner get a new, lower contract every time he plays bad?

Why does it have to be a one way street? That's why you sign contracts. Maybe they should just get rid of contracts all together?