ESPN Ultimate NFL rankings

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is utter nonsense. This team won 6 games last year with a decimated squad and a lousy coach. We easily could've won 9.

To lump this squad with the Rams and the Lions and others of that ilk, is shortsighted and absolutely ridiculous.

We've got 20 guys coming back from IR, a strong draft, and a smart coach.

Look out. I will be astonished if we are in the bottom 10 in the league. I expect to win 10 games.

That is utter nonsense. This team won 6 games last year with a decimated squad and a lousy coach. We easily could've won 9.

To lump this squad with the Rams and the Lions and others of that ilk, is shortsighted and absolutely ridiculous.

We've got 20 guys coming back from IR, a strong draft, and a smart coach.

Look out. I will be astonished if we are in the bottom 10 in the league. I expect to win 10 games.

TC you can't be serious? Even the most optimistic people here wouldn't even venture to say that. I sure hope your right. What a great season that would be!

Here is my take on the rankings.

I try to take into the consideration all the experts predictions and rankings. The so called experts have us more or less in the bottm five. (even NFL Network fans ) This causes me concern. I am not so quick to say "F" the rankings or screw them. Wondering if you would be saying that if we were predicted to be in a top five team. I highly doubt it. It can't cut both ways...

IMO, the rankings mean something and they can't be totally dismissed.

To be 31st in the league, we'd have to be at least as bad, relative to the rest of the league, as the following teams of the last few years:

2009: Rams, Lions

2008: Lions, Rams

2007: Dolphins, Rams

2006: Raiders, Lions

Maybe there will be more parity this year than in the last four, but it will take an epically bad Bills team to finish among that list.

These experts really don't know the teams. They think of two things, Head Coach and QB when they sit around their proverbial round table. From a far I can completely understand their view. I don't agree, but I do. Heck my neighbor the other day is from Dallas and he said "hey didn't the Bills strike out on getting any of those good coaches".

The perception is that we failed to get a top coach and settled for Chan Gailey. The casual observer see's Gailey as someone they've heard of, but isn't very good. And everyone knows we didn't sign or draft a QB.

That's why our optimism (for those who are) is our little secret. They don't see the attitude of this team evolving into something that the fans are getting on board with. For the outsiders we just have to win. Show them the baby if you will.

Screw these rankings.

Why is Tampa, Cleveland and Detroit 'better' than the Bills? :censored:

Heck, may as well rank us at #32 so when DO we win ten games this year the 'experts' will REALLY look stupid.

Well we should be better than Tampa. But Cleveland did beat us, and Detroit has a really nice young core.

These experts really don't know the teams. They think of two things, Head Coach and QB when they sit around their proverbial round table. From a far I can completely understand their view. I don't agree, but I do. Heck my neighbor the other day is from Dallas and he said "hey didn't the Bills strike out on getting any of those good coaches".

The perception is that we failed to get a top coach and settled for Chan Gailey. The casual observer see's Gailey as someone they've heard of, but isn't very good. And everyone knows we didn't sign or draft a QB.

That's why our optimism (for those who are) is our little secret. They don't see the attitude of this team evolving into something that the fans are getting on board with. For the outsiders we just have to win. Show them the baby if you will.

You have to be kidding right? Most of the experts do know the teams. Thats what they get paid to do. They had 24 hours a day to study teams. Fans wouldn't tolerate totally incompetent analyst. Don't get me wrong the experts are often wrong but it's not becuase they didn't do there due diligence. It because of other reasons like injuries, surprise players or lack of, etc

With all due respect, I cannot agree with your post.

You have to be kidding right? Most of the experts do know the teams. Thats what they get paid to do. They had 24 hours a day to study teams. Fans wouldn't tolerate totally incompetent analyst. Don't get me wrong the experts are often wrong but it's not becuase they didn't do there due diligence. It because of other reasons like injuries, surprise players or lack of, etc

With all due respect, I cannot agree with your post.

The source I'm about to use is going to be flamed as an idiot, and I can't argue with that, but citing a bad source doesn't mean the point is wrong. It just means I didn't think of it myself.

I often eat lunch in my car, spending the hour flipping between Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd to fill the silence. Cowherd frequently rants about the idea that national sports analysts only have to follow the teams that are popularly covered on national broadcasts. In baseball they need to know the Yankees, Red Sox, and a few more teams. In basketball its the Lakers, Celtics, Cavaliers, etc. In the NFL, its the Cowboys, Giants, Patriots, Colts, etc. They prepare to talk about these teams for 75% of their total sports coverage. They don't equally prepare to talk about the rest of the teams that don't produce national headline stories.

I don't personally know every analyst that was polled for this ranking, but I'd be surprised if they all defied this theory.

There are regional sportswriters and analysts who cover the rest of the teams in more detail, but it is not the norm for an analyst to spends an equal amount of time looking at all 32 NFL teams. If they did, it would be very tough to have a better grasp of a low-media team than a well-studied fan of that team. There's only so much time in the day.

It's a lemming mentality at work. Even though they are ESPN they don't watch every team that closely. So when an opinion is formed about the Bills it snowballs. One guy parrotting the next. Being under the radar is just where the Bills work best anyway. We want other teams to look past us. We will be better than last year so screw em all.

PTR

I find it absolutely amazing that we're not ranked 32 on that list. In all fairness to the ranking gurus, how can you even begin to assess where this team will be ranked? New offense, new defense, and new head coach. If this team has as much talent as i feel they do, i don't see them ranking that low for very long. If Marshawn gets his head out of his ass, our running game alone, coupled with better conditioning, and a coaching staff that just might utilize the talent on this team that has laid dormant for close to 4 years, I honestly see 8 wins, regardless of opponent.

There's no reason this year to be concerned about the QB situation, any one of the QBs on this team can have a serviceable season if the line stays healthy, and plays better than last year, Trent already has shown that he can at least be that when he had protection in 2008. With an offense that features more plays in the playbook, opposing defenses won't be able to sit back and guess which of the 4 plays we might run. And lastly, i think the riddance of T.O. was addition by subtraction.

Defensively, this team is already bigger against the run, and I'm sure we'll see some breakdowns due to a new system, but overall, they look far more athletic up front, especially in the LB positions, which should result in the team getting beat by strong run blocking teams with a good ground attack, but that can only get better, and, in my opinion, already look better on paper than last year.

So I think it's only fair that the team initially is ranked this low, maybe a bit too low, but you can't fault them, they have no idea what this group will do. I only object to the Raiders ranking, as I strongly feel that Jason Campbell truly blows as a QB, and doesn't make that crappy team better than anyone. They should be ranked 33rd, yes, one lower then the future expansion team destined for LA.

I do welcome any genuine debate, or comments....

If I were to make my own rankings, the Bills would be in the same place pretty much. Let's all hope they surprise everyone this year and it is FINALLY a season that we can be happy and proud of when it ends, not another disappointment and disgrace.