Name me one starting NFL qb who Trent Edwards...

You did know that Jim Kelly is on record for wanting to run Trent Edwards out of Buffalo?...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4691552

"I like Trent personally," Kelly said, according to the report. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills. If I'm the owner, that's what I'm thinking. "

BTW, I'm not going to be pissed because it will never happen. It's like saying I'll be pissed when pigs fly. I've long ago moved beyond hoping Edwards was going to be a good qb and came to the same conclusion that Jim Kelly (and anyone with eyes) did...he's had three years, and if he were any good he would have showed flashes during the piss poor 5-12 record of his last 17 games.

Not once did I see any of you fanboys put your support behind Trent leading up to the 2010 draft. Now, two months later he's suddenly an answer to the Bills qb problems? That's flat out stupid. Please link us to this undying Trent Edwards support of yours leading up to the draft. You can't, because you never did.

Again Your post proves my point, as many others point out. I am not saying he IS the guy, I had hoped he COULD BE the guy when drafted and I thought he COULD BE the guy his rookie year and second year based on upside he SEEMED to have. That potential appeared to evaporate over the last season and a half and some fans want to speculate perhaps there were extrinsic factors and he simply didn’t go from looking like he might be a good NFL QB to rubbish overnight because of his arm strength. Right or Wrong a valid theory worth investigation.

What fascinates me is how some fans knows so much more about football than guys that have become millionaires as managers and coaches in the game that have not yet made up their mind on whether he can play or not. What further impresses me are the fans which are certain his arm is insufficient for the NFL. If it were that clear cut and that obvious of a shortcoming for such a critical and measureable attribute, I am shocked all of these professional talent scouts and coaches are oblivious to this.

Lastly, There were plenty of folks coming into the draft that felt drafting Bradford would be ideal, while drafting another “project QB” would do nothing to alleviate the current situation and therefore we must still find a way to get the best result with the QB’s we have now.

The majority of what I would call pro Trent arguments amount to this:

He showed potential and even won some games for the team early on. The situation last season was the worst situation imaginable for a young developing QB to endure. It could be that with the right environment, coaching and offense TE turns out to be an effective NFL QB.

Why that rational argument is so contemptible is beyond me… And its ludicrous to think, if it’s as obvious as some feel it is, that lifetime football professionals are unable to easily see it too.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again Your post proves my point, as many others point out. I am not saying he IS the guy, I had hoped he COULD BE the guy when drafted and I thought he COULD BE the guy his rookie year and second year based on upside he SEEMED to have. That potential appeared to evaporate over the last season and a half and some fans want to speculate perhaps there were extrinsic factors and he simply didn’t go from looking like he might be a good NFL QB to rubbish overnight because of his arm strength. Right or Wrong a valid theory worth investigation.

What fascinates me is how some fans knows so much more about football than guys that have become millionaires as managers and coaches in the game that have not yet made up their mind on whether he can play or not. What further impresses me are the fans which are certain his arm is insufficient for the NFL. If it were that clear cut and that obvious of a shortcoming for such a critical and measureable attribute, I am shocked all of these professional talent scouts and coaches are oblivious to this.

Lastly, There were plenty of folks coming into the draft that felt drafting Bradford would be ideal, while drafting another “project QB” would do nothing to alleviate the current situation and therefore we must still find a way to get the best result with the QB’s we have now.

He showed potential and even won some games for the team early on. The situation last season was the worst situation imaginable for a young developing QB to endure. It could be that with the right environment, coaching and offense TE turns out to be an effective NFL QB.

Why that rational argument is so contemptible is beyond me… And its ludicrous to think, if it’s as obvious as some feel it is, that lifetime football professionals are unable to easily see it too.

Do they really not see it (where it is that the QBs on roster may not be good enough to win a championship)?

Or is it a matter that they believe one of these guys, given their experience, was a better option than anybody they could land in the draft and that they just don't have a lot of other options at the moment? Remember, we are now a "build through the draft" team. So, it would be surprising to see the Bills be cavalier with future draft picks and seeing what's in the cupboards, what do they have to trade that anybody else would want?

As far as I know, neither Gailey nor Nix has suggested that they think there is a franchise QB on the roster. Somebody that might serve as a stop-gap and might surprise, maybe. But, I don't think they are self-deluded enough to think Trent Edwards is going to become Peyton Manning overnight.

I hate to come across as that condescending- I really try to avoid being a jerk. Its just offensive that people continually make it out as if winning takes just common sense. It is very difficult, which is why it is so hard and doesn't last very long. A lot of variables have to line up that don't usually tend to.

No franchise is going to succeed unless the organization is strong. Having a quirky owner who has never understood that success emanates from having a quality GM and competent front office staffing. When the football operation is staffed with mediocre talent it is very predictable that the product on the field is going to be below par and very unentertaining.

The most influential person in the history of the franchise is its owner, its only owner. He is the one constant in the franchise's half century of existence. The franchise has suffered because of the caliber of its ownership.

Do they really not see it (where it is that the QBs on roster may not be good enough to win a championship)?

Or is it a matter that they believe one of these guys, given their experience, was a better option than anybody they could land in the draft and that they just don't have a lot of other options at the moment? Remember, we are now a "build through the draft" team. So, it would be surprising to see the Bills be cavalier with future draft picks and seeing what's in the cupboards, what do they have to trade that anybody else would want?

As far as I know, neither Gailey nor Nix has suggested that they think there is a franchise QB on the roster. Somebody that might serve as a stop-gap and might surprise, maybe. But, I don't think they are self-deluded enough to think Trent Edwards is going to become Peyton Manning overnight.

I agree with you as i kind of eluded to in this part

...Lastly, There were plenty of folks coming into the draft that felt drafting Bradford would be ideal, while drafting another “project QB” would do nothing to alleviate the current situation and therefore we must still find a way to get the best result with the QB’s we have now....

My point was strictly on the arm strength mantra. Arm strength is easy to assess; You have it or you don't. You either hit a strike on a 20 yard out or float a beach ball up for grabs. Guys that have been around the game for 50 years just can’t be oblivious to a guy who is unable throw hard enough to play in the NFL. It just can’t be. For his in his head crowd, a coach might fix that, might not. But as you say, if nothing better seemed to be out there than they must have thought they can make a man out of one of these guys and no matter what any one feels about Fitzbrohmwards, I do believe the new coach and GM know football and will make good decisions creating the best possbile environment for success given the hand dealt.

No franchise is going to succeed unless the organization is strong. Having a quirky owner who has never understood that success emanates from having a quality GM and competent front office staffing. When the football operation is staffed with mediocre talent it is very predictable that the product on the field is going to be below par and very unentertaining.

The most influential person in the history of the franchise is its owner, its only owner. He is the one constant in the franchise's half century of existence. The franchise has suffered because of the caliber of its ownership.

Totally agree..RW is the biggest reason the Bills have had so much failure. Yes he kept the team here, and I know people really appreciate that, but that fact does not mean he was a good owner as far as the product he delivered.

Anyone who harps on arm strength knows nothing about football. Trent's arm strength is fine. On the few deep passes he attempted last year, he overthrew receivers. His problem is lack of willingness to take more shots down field. It's more mental than anything, which may be worse.

Your complete comments are exceptional. Your post is one of the best I have read. It was well reasoned and well written.

It has gotten to the point that many bashers are desperately hoping that TE fails because they are so wedded to the mob view of him. The venomous comments about Edwards are irrational and uncalled for. If TE competes for the starting job and wins out, then more power to him. If someone beats him out, then congratulations to that qb.

The constant ugly tirade against him is tiresome. It needs to stop.

To 1billsfan,

I totally feel your frustration. You get it and it's so clear to you that TE isn't very good to say the least. You have all the evidence to prove your case and future probability is on your side. Yet, the "light bulb" doesn't go on for anyone else. I have had similar experiences. The "blinders" are on and they won't see it. They won't even admit your most likely correct. What you will get in return is a lot of hateful responses.

Tomorrow I will be back to the manicorn that I know you have a crush on. It's sort of an inside joke. I'm the one with a Dakota Fanning avatar. You think I care what your opinion about it is, girlie boy?

Your complete comments are exceptional. Your post is one of the best I have read. It was well reasoned and well written.

It has gotten to the point that many bashers are desperately hoping that TE fails because they are so wedded to the mob view of him. The venomous comments about Edwards are irrational and uncalled for. If TE competes for the starting job and wins out, then more power to him. If someone beats him out, then congratulations to that qb.

The constant ugly tirade against him is tiresome. It needs to stop.

Yeah, brother, I dont think at one time anyone would deny that Trent has some talent. Fans are drawn to quarterback controversies.

Yeah, brother, I dont think at one time anyone would deny that Trent has some talent. Fans are drawn to quarterback controversies.

People can favor whichever qb they want. My issue is over the irrational and intense hostility toward one of the particular qb candidates. How are these haters going to react when he is selected as the starting qb?

Guest dog14787
People can favor whichever qb they want. My issue is over the irrational and intense hostility toward one of the particular qb candidates. How are these haters going to react when he is selected as the starting qb?

Chan Gailey in all likely hood will get more out of Fitz, Edwards or Brian Brohm then most folks would even think possible in my opinion.

So the critics should react well once all the hate filled Bills fans start seeing good results on the scoreboard and in the win/loss column. :P

Guest dog14787
I heard that he's a good golfer.

I heard our glove wearing Mary has the fastest read/react time on the planet.

I heard Captain Checkdown has been checking up to the likes of Marcus Easley and when he does checkdown, CJ Spiller is going to ram the ball down our opponents throat faster then I can say "I told you so"

I heard Trent Edwards is gunning for a Championship,

and yup, I heard TE also plays a pretty mean game of golf... :P

I heard our glove wearing Mary has the fastest read/react time on the planet.

I heard Captain Checkdown has been checking up to the likes of Marcus Easley and when he does checkdown, CJ Spiller is going to ram the ball down our opponents throat faster then I can say "I told you so"

I heard Trent Edwards is gunning for a Championship,

and yup, I heard TE also plays a pretty mean game of golf... :P

What good is the fastest read time when he refuses to REACT?

Guest dog14787
What good is the fastest read time when he refuses to REACT?

TE checks down faster then anyone :P

TE checks down faster then anyone :P

I won't argue that one with you, I'm just afraid he'll end up getting Fred or Spiller injured. Our RBs took some wicked shots last year because the defense was sitting in there lawn chairs waiting for the checkdown.

Guest dog14787
I won't argue that one with you, I'm just afraid he'll end up getting Fred or Spiller injured. Our RBs took some wicked shots last year because the defense was sitting in there lawn chairs waiting for the checkdown.

So instead of blaming our inexperienced O-line and sub par scheming/ play calling, blame it on good old Captain Checkdown/ Glove wearing Mary,

Yup, I know how it goes....