Why is Gailey so High on Bell

1. Who said Clausen is going to be any good?

1A. Nonsense. If they didn't believe they had a QB on the roster who could do the job they would have went out and gotten another one. Same with LT. They feel they have players there who can play with the right coaching. I contend they are confident they have players who can play. What they probably don't have confidence in is the previous coaching staff's performance with these players.

2. Every O-line is a "unit" performance. EVERY O-Line. That's why it's hard when one or two get hurt or several are hurt at one time. One standout player still needs four other linemen to be on the same page or there will be breakdowns. And every coach will try to play to the strength of his personnel.

Lots of people say Clausen is going to be good. We'll see how right they are.

It's the opposite of nonsense. We had dire needs at probably six or seven positions. It shouldn't be a surprise that we weren't able to adequately address all of them, particularly the ones at which really talented guys are few and far between. Much more likely is that they realize that starting from that roster last year, getting good will be about a three-year job, and they're biting off a piece at a time ... which makes sense.

We were not good from the beginning. Did you not notice the signs of desperation ... getting rid of Walker at the last minute being the big one, and dumping our OC being another? Injuries weren't the problem. They exascerbated ithe problem, but being bad was the problem. Not having one single guy at a position he had played the last year was the problem. Bad lines can gel, but they're still bad. We have two, maybe three decent players, depending on how you view Hangartner. And a journeyman in Green. As we pick up new guys and slowly gel, we'll improve over the next few years.

That's the idea anyway.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is this brilliant coach who is going to properly develop the O line players, set up line protections and teach these young players everything they will need to learn to become top players...oh right, the assistant line coach from KC who is now the Bills line coach.

Yea well, I'm not convinced this years O line will be any better then last years, but that's me.

Ouch.

It could have been worse. The Bills could have spent $10M/year and given a huge signing bonus to Peters, only to see him get injured (as is his wont) and play poorly, and the Bills still not make the playoffs.

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

Only TIME will tell my friend. The offensive line again, is still in question going into this season. Will see if Gailey and company know what they are doing.

Was CJ Spiller the correct pick in round one? ;)

It could have been worse. The Bills could have spent $10M/year and given a huge signing bonus to Peters, only to see him get injured (as is his wont) and play poorly, and the Bills still not make the playoffs.

We should have kept peters at tight end.

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

You make a great point. He wasn't that great when he was healthy.

Last offseason was a huge cluster f@ck. Jason Peters got his wish and was traded, so Bills braintrust figured since Langston Walker played LT in the 2008 season opener vs the Seahawks that he was going to be the full-time LT. Walker was not comfortable with the switch. Turk Schonert installs the 'no huddle' offense to supposedly maximize Trent Edwards' strengths, but one huge problem, the offensive playbook was stripped down by order of Jauron. Jauron thought there was too many plays and formations and wanted a more dulled down offense. Walker couldn't keep up with the pace of the 'no huddle' offense and the NHO was failing in the preseason big time. So instead of switching back Walker from LT to RT, he's fired 10 days before the start of the season. Bell, is now thrown in as the starting LT 10 days before the start of the season. Turk Schonert is fired and Alex Van Pelt is also thrown in as Offensive Coordinator 10 days before season kickoff, who only 2 years ago was a Quality Control coordinator. That right there was a receipe for disaster, not only for the O-line, but for the entire offense.

All of these reasons are why Bell, the QB's and other players on the offense are getting another chance. Nix & Gailey even stated all these problems and said that these players are not getting a free pass due to the circumstances from last year, but they are going to get another chance this year to prove themselves.

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out. It must be that time of year when fans question the direction, only to be told they aren't in the NFL and know nothing.

Wonder if that sentiment will be echoed in November-December.

Well, you know most new coaches throw their young players directly under the bus at the start of training camp. It's a proven leadership technique for getting people to buy into your plan.

What optimism were you referring to and from whom?

So who is this brilliant coach who is going to properly develop the O line players, set up line protections and teach these young players everything they will need to learn to become top players...oh right, the assistant line coach from KC who is now the Bills line coach.

Yea well, I'm not convinced this years O line will be any better then last years, but that's me.

A huge difference between the Bills which ran a Nonfense rather than a offense under Jauron is that Gailey does seem to realize that the key to getting more Ws is not going to be the work of one line coach or player but instead having a working system which maximizes the strengths of solid individual players but does not allow the weaknesses to badly exploited.

In no particular order of import since all of these outcomes happened more than once and made a difference when linked to other problems:

1. The individual play calling of the Bills simply seemed to suck

2. The WRs ran primitive routes which did not try to take advantage of the natural speed of the WRs and did not generate a lot of separation against coverages (thus plays did not develop well giving rushers lots of time and also with more zone coverage there was better D than I was used to seeing

3, The strength and conditioning coach is quickly suceeding in improving condition

4. A bunch of other things

The key here is not to try to find a single coaching savior but integrate this and make it better.

When you have a team that was so predictable and lost all of confidence, then you have real issues on the field. All Chan is doing is making the team unpredictable, and bringing that little thing called confidence. It does make a difference and it does help. No we wont and shouldn't make the playoffs, but if we did, that would be huge. It's easy for one or two to believe, but to get 53+ players is another story.

When you have a team that was so predictable and lost all of confidence, then you have real issues on the field. All Chan is doing is making the team unpredictable, and bringing that little thing called confidence. It does make a difference and it does help. No we wont and shouldn't make the playoffs, but if we did, that would be huge. It's easy for one or two to believe, but to get 53+ players is another story.

"winning is believing"

There's also this outlandish possibility that the Bills staff took a look at the film and thought that there was room for improvement from our young tackles. We are after all, talking about 1st and 2nd year players.

If he watched the tape of Bell he saw a player who was overmatched and overwhelmed both physically and mentally. Repeatedly not getting the snap count right shows that he wasn't ready to play on a full time basis.

The best way to get Bell ready to play on a full time basis is to start him off part time and allow for more playing time as he gains experience and confidence. It was a shame that he hurt his knee last year and lost playing time because of it. The Bills are taking a very big gamble with their present staffing at LT. That vulnerability at LT last year gave our offense little chance to be successful. I see the same situation happening again this year.

i think fans are higher on bell than gailey is, Jamon Meredith is a stud, gailey knows it, Bell knows it. B-)

why are they sooooo bad, because they opened up holes for a thousand yard rusher?

i would like you to tell eric w

ood and andy levitre that the line is not good enough to open holes, that would be a funny exchange

That actually is where I am leaning here....I think that the bills have a plethera of RT candidates available....but they are really high on Jamon Meradith....so much that they think he is the answer at LT.

IMO the team would be better served having Meradith at RT and bringing in another quality guy at LT.......but

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

Bingo. It's all we have.

Wait till you see how many 7 step drops are NOT in the playbook.

DrDankenstein,

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

Can't we say this about out QB situation too?