Truck question, if you own a real truck and not a toy truck, I'd l

boyst

We are looking to buy a new truck to replace our 1ton 83 Custom Deluxe. With interest rates what they are and us having enough money to purchase it out right regardless I am curious what people think of some of the newer model trucks in the last year or so. There are not many people around here who own some of the Ford F250's/350, Dodge 2500's/3500 or 2500HD's/3500HD.

What I have found is that if I go with 2009 or 2010 a gas or diesel motor that Ford would be the best but Dodge's will last longer. Chevrolet has poo for engines right now...but...

2011 will reveal a leading diesel engine for Chevrolet, Source. Unless I can find a diesel model that is under 100k miles, less than $20,000 with long bed and no dooly I plan on buying new.

That being said does anyone have a 2006-2010 Chevy 2500/3500, Dodge 2500/3500, or Ford F250/350 that they use for towing and terrain traveling (not off-roading baja style, but moving across the land)? If you do and you can throw in some of your $.02 it would be appreciated. I want a diesel but gas motors are pretty good now-a-days and last a long time when treated well.

Thanks ya'll.

(I know there are numerous truck forums on the internets, but I do not like reading so many of those forums because they are bias and usually reference specs that, frankly, I just do not care about. I want to hear what people think of their truck not what they read in a book.)

We have a few Ford and Chevys at work used for towing trailors, carrying equipment, getting around, etc. The Chevy is by far the better drive. Ford's I find to be very much uncomfortable to sit in for any sort of drive. Plus the cab space seems really tight. More like a car than a truck, imo.

Now, as far as actual performance... I'd say they're about equal. We've had both Fords and Chevys on the road for 5-10 years, a couple with over 200,000 miles, with various transmission, axel, brake, whatever problems. So, good and bad for both. But, I think the Chevys, overall, give us fewer problems.

That's only about a penny's worth, but it's all I got.

We have a few Ford and Chevys at work used for towing trailors, carrying equipment, getting around, etc. The Chevy is by far the better drive. Ford's I find to be very much uncomfortable to sit in for any sort of drive. Plus the cab space seems really tight. More like a car than a truck, imo.

Now, as far as actual performance... I'd say they're about equal. We've had both Fords and Chevys on the road for 5-10 years, a couple with over 200,000 miles, with various transmission, axel, brake, whatever problems. So, good and bad for both. But, I think the Chevys, overall, give us fewer problems.

That's only about a penny's worth, but it's all I got.

What he said. The Fords may look sleeker, but the Chevys def do a better job if you are looking for towing. . . I have always found that ford with there smaller trucks (Ranger/F150) they out perform there larger trucks 250's-350's. . .

We are looking to buy a new truck to replace our 1ton 83 Custom Deluxe. With interest rates what they are and us having enough money to purchase it out right regardless I am curious what people think of some of the newer model trucks in the last year or so. There are not many people around here who own some of the Ford F250's/350, Dodge 2500's/3500 or 2500HD's/3500HD.

What I have found is that if I go with 2009 or 2010 a gas or diesel motor that Ford would be the best but Dodge's will last longer. Chevrolet has poo for engines right now...but...

2011 will reveal a leading diesel engine for Chevrolet, Source. Unless I can find a diesel model that is under 100k miles, less than $20,000 with long bed and no dooly I plan on buying new.

That being said does anyone have a 2006-2010 Chevy 2500/3500, Dodge 2500/3500, or Ford F250/350 that they use for towing and terrain traveling (not off-roading baja style, but moving across the land)? If you do and you can throw in some of your $.02 it would be appreciated. I want a diesel but gas motors are pretty good now-a-days and last a long time when treated well.

Thanks ya'll.

(I know there are numerous truck forums on the internets, but I do not like reading so many of those forums because they are bias and usually reference specs that, frankly, I just do not care about. I want to hear what people think of their truck not what they read in a book.)

GM and Ford are offering big discounts these days. Dodge, not as much AFAIK.

Are you wanting 4wd? If 2wd, GM's latest limited slip axle is the best bet. I'm not sure why you would refer to GM's 6.0L ohv pushrod V-8 standard in the Silverado HD 3/4 ton as "poo"... 0:) Dodge switched to a coil rear last year, abandoning the time-tested Hotchkiss leaf springs. I guess time will tell.

The 1-ton jobs (or more) - F350's, GM 3500's, Ford's 450 line - I know little about. That's commercial business territory to me.

What are you hauling, that you need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and want to pay the fuel costs, upkeep, and unladen punishing ride? I see often, these bone-punishing jobs (including dooleys) with a bed not used, being driven by what I guess are ego-trip folks.

I don't think you can go wrong with either - it just depends on what your specific needs are.

Chevy's are definitely better on long hauls, far more creature comfort. I think Ford's suspensions are more durable on rough terrain. Chevy's decision to go with Allison transmissions was a good idea.

Everything made today is good.

We've got an old '79 Ford F-350 with a stake bed that has, as one mechanic who recently did the brakes on it said, "More balls than a herd of elephants."

No lie, we had three mafia blocks on it and it didn't crouch much. The creeper gear is great too --- many a yard saved when delivering firewood or moving family members (one trip usually did it), where the owners said previous trucks have spun out and destroyed the grass.

The body is rusting tho. They don't make 'em like they used to.

We've got an old '79 Ford F-350 with a stake bed that has, as one mechanic who recently did the brakes on it said, "More balls than a herd of elephants."

No lie, we had three mafia blocks on it and it didn't crouch much. The creeper gear is great too --- many a yard saved when delivering firewood or moving family members (one trip usually did it), where the owners said previous trucks have spun out and destroyed the grass.

The body is rusting tho. They don't make 'em like they used to.

GM offered a creeper gear tranny on their full-size half-ton p/u's in the mid-90's. Shift pattern was 4-3-2-1-L. IIRC, it was a $95 option. A fellow I worked with had a family farm and bought one. Very useful.

The late '80's VW Vanagon 4wd models had same.

I have a commercial beef farm that I took over operation of when my grandpa passed away 3 1/2 years ago. Things had been just on idle for the last 10 years or so as my grandpa got in to his 90's. Now we are getting things back to operational status to maintain a budget in the black. My mom totalled her call and she will be "buying" mine.

As far as the gas GM engine - it just seems that no matter the gas engine for a GM it give you 100,000 miles and it's done. Ford and Dodge gas engines seem to last longer. The difference may be torque but I can always change out the motor of a gas truck at 100,000 miles and still come out on top of buying a diesel, which would last 200,000.

It would be my primary vehicle but also used to haul 8 to 9 cows @ 1400 lbs. a piece to sales, butcher, etc. I live in the hilly area of NC where rural highways are ups and downs worse than a coaster. Having a 1500HD just would not function. I do not want a dooly, though I could probably use it. Dooly's just do not do well travling over land. As far as 4x4? A truck is just a toy unless it is a 4x4. I would probably average 30 to 40,000 miles a year, which is low, but it would not be used for every move. I have an S-10 I use to run around town for small loads, though the motor is running out. I also have a van which is going to be converted in to a refrigeration type some time in the future. I am not buying the truck just to fill my ego - if I wanted to do that I would spend $45,000 to make myself feel better I would buy 450 ugly hookers for $100 or 5 really hot hookers for $9k...oooh 9 Ashley Dupres for the night! Now, than, I would feel better :w00t:

Thanks for the input guys!

Sorry I don't know the model, but my buddy has a Chevy, probably 3/4 ton, with the diesel engine that he uses to tow his 5th wheel camper. He says compared to the Chevy he had previous with the gas engine, it's almost like the camper isn't even hooked up in terms of how easy it tows.

I DRIVE A SUZUKI X90 WITH A SNOWPLOW ON THE FRONT. TOTAL BABE MAGNET. I CHALLENGE ANYONE HERE TO A TRACTOR PULL CONTEST. 1.6 LITRES OF PAIN, BABY!

I'll take you on with my Jeep Patriot, you can't handle what my 2.0 liter/cvt transmission will dish out

I DRIVE A SUZUKI X90 WITH A SNOWPLOW ON THE FRONT. TOTAL BABE MAGNET. I CHALLENGE ANYONE HERE TO A TRACTOR PULL CONTEST. 1.6 LITRES OF PAIN, BABY!

I'll take you on with my Jeep Patriot, you can't handle what my 2.0 liter/cvt transmission will dish out

Resident Horrible Person Ed (name has since changed to... :beer: ) would smoke you all with his Honda Fit.

Can I get in on this? I got a 3.0 liter V6 Ford Ranger 2wd.

Worlds smallest car

WHO WANTS TO TAKE ON MY 49CC ENGINE?

Jboys, I just dont know what to tell you. I think the quality of the latest generation of fords is better as far, but I would slightly favor the powertrains of the GM models. The classic

I have a commercial beef farm that I took over operation of when my grandpa passed away 3 1/2 years ago. Things had been just on idle for the last 10 years or so as my grandpa got in to his 90's. Now we are getting things back to operational status to maintain a budget in the black. My mom totalled her call and she will be "buying" mine.

As far as the gas GM engine - it just seems that no matter the gas engine for a GM it give you 100,000 miles and it's done. Ford and Dodge gas engines seem to last longer. The difference may be torque but I can always change out the motor of a gas truck at 100,000 miles and still come out on top of buying a diesel, which would last 200,000.

It would be my primary vehicle but also used to haul 8 to 9 cows @ 1400 lbs. a piece to sales, butcher, etc. I live in the hilly area of NC where rural highways are ups and downs worse than a coaster. Having a 1500HD just would not function. I do not want a dooly, though I could probably use it. Dooly's just do not do well travling over land. As far as 4x4? A truck is just a toy unless it is a 4x4. I would probably average 30 to 40,000 miles a year, which is low, but it would not be used for every move. I have an S-10 I use to run around town for small loads, though the motor is running out. I also have a van which is going to be converted in to a refrigeration type some time in the future. I am not buying the truck just to fill my ego - if I wanted to do that I would spend $45,000 to make myself feel better I would buy 450 ugly hookers for $100 or 5 really hot hookers for $9k...oooh 9 Ashley Dupres for the night! Now, than, I would feel better :devil:

Thanks for the input guys!

Well...not so. And it's best to list specific needs in the original post - you gave no indication if the vehicle was for pleasure or business.

Good luck with the business. :thumbsup:

Not exactly the year you're looking at but I've got a '99 F250 V10 with 180K+ miles on it. Use it for towing our horses and it's easily handled a four horse steel livestock trailer in the North GA mountains. Of the 4 trucks used at the farm, the two Fords (250 & 350) seem to run like champs, and the Chevy (2500) seems to always have issues. I think it's one of the older Duramax diesels though. The Dodge looks good, but it's lifted so it looks like it's over it's head with anything over a two horse gooseneck.

Only issue I've had is that it threw a plug back around 120K (Known problem with shallow aluminum threads) Thankfully it didn't strip the threads and I didn't need to install a heli-coil. Besides that, it's still kicking great. I'll agree the Chevy is more cush than the Ford, but I'm still getting another 250/350 when this one calls it quits.