What's the coolest "Bills thing" you ever did?

After the win in the AFC Championship game b4 the last Super Bowl, me and my friends thought it would be a good Idea to have a parade, so we loaded up a couple pick-ups and drove around the city in our Bills gear....very cold!!...We thought we were going to get pulled over, but to our surprise the cop was a fan and he gave us an escourt for a few blocks and blew te siren every time we came upon a bar to "warm up." :unsure:

Such a Buffalo story. Like I was there.

It was a playoff game in, I belive the late 80's, Buffalo v. Houston. My brother and I flew up from Pittsburgh,

and were on the same flight with Jack Ham...We sat in one of the end zones, and Warren Moon was driving the Oilers for what would have been the winning score...Fans started throwing snowballs, that were more ice than snow...before one of the snaps, I saw an iceball hit Moon right in the top of his helmet, he had to feel it. The PA come over the loudspeaker and tells the fans that the Bills will be penalized if they do not stop throwing stuff. My brother jumps up and yells at several rather large and quite inebriated fans, that if he see them throw another snowball, he is coming down to kick there asses, not sure that it really had that much effect, but they stopped. Buffalo somehow hung on, I think the final was like 10-9 or something. Stopped at I belive the Holiday Inn by the airport, and had one of the best meals that I have ever had, and the beer was just so tasty. Flew back to Pittsburgh very content. Was only topped by the following:

My Father had a Construction Company, and had a couple of aircraft at the time, and had been flying back and forth to Buffalo every weekend. The Bills were playing Miami in a first or second round playoff game.

I asked my Dad, if my wife and brother could catch a ride this weekend, he told me the no planes were going that weekend. We planned on driving, and the Friday before that weekend, my Dad called and said that he would send the plane just for us, I almost **** my pants, cause that ain't like him.

We flew up, had a couple of extra tickets for the Pilots (all die hard Steeler fans), and watch the Bills squish the fish in a snow storm, in what I believe was Kelly's greatest play-off game.

I think the final was something like 44-30, but was very much in doubt, late in to the game. The Pilots were rooting their asses off for the Bills, they got caught up in the moment. Flew back, and the pilot dropped the plane out of a ceiling so low, that as soon as we broke the clouds, we hit the runway, damn that was scary, but well worth it.

OK, one more, used to go to Fredonia, went one training camp when Kelly was like a first or second year Bill. When we went out to watch the second of the two-a-days, just before they started, Marv was on the sidelines loosining up, I guess he was probably in his 60's at the time, any way, he gets down and starts doing push-ups, and I can remember the kid next to me, when Marv got to about 20, state, "oh, look at this old man, he thinks that he is in shape or something" followed shortly by "holy ****", when Marv reached 80 or so, I belive he did something like 100 straight.When Marv finished, all of those in attendance started clapping, and Marv turned around, tipped his cap, and took a bow.I have this on film, it blew my mind.

Nice trifecta.

Got my young son one of those Buffalo Bill football outfits with the plastic helmet (not so easy in California 15 years ago). It was a Jim Kelly one. He wore it alot, including for Halloween, his birthday. Some how though, he migrated to become a 49er fan. We kept the helmet on display in our living room. Years later, my brothers young son came over and saw the helmet. He said his dad has Bills helmets but he can't play with them (autographed ones). So immediately I handed it over to him to have and play with. He wore it out the door, all the way on the car ride home, and in to their house to proudly show his mom and dad.

Family tradition. Good stuff. Still unsure if we should encourage the younger ones to cheer for our Bills.

When going to the Buffalo/Houston playoff game in 1993, the Oil/Choke light came on in my car. Didn't think much of it, cause it always came on after about 30 minutes of driving. It came on after the game and I had to pull over to the side of the road, because neither me nor my friends could stop laughing

LMAO!!! Serendipity.

I paid 20.00 dollars for 2 tickets to the Bills-Houston playoff game the night before the game. I took the city Bus to the game so I could not leave and just had a blast. My coolest bills moment.

Sometimes the cheapest dates are the best. Nice.

This one is more of my parents rather than me, but still amusing because well...

The day of superbowl XXV, my mom and grandparents were forced to drive through the massive snowstorm in buffalo that day, and my dad got called away from the superbowl party he was at when they got there. The reason? My mom went into labor. With me. They watched the entire game and wide right in the hospital, and I was born early the next morning.

Needless to say, my name isn't Scott.

Great story. Great punchline.

Just amazing great stuff. I can't wait till we win the Super Bowl. It's gonna be a pleasure celebrating with all you guys. Like ERBF intended from the start, this is one of those threads where you get to know each other a bit and where people can show their true colors.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it had to be attending the 1990 AFC Championship game against the Raiders. The atmosphere was incredible and watching the Bills dominate Oakland 51-3 was absolutely the best. I remember coming to the realization at some point "Holy ****, my team is going to the Super Bowl!" One of the greatest feelings a football fan can have. The memory still lingers 20 years later. After waiting so long, it was an incredible feeling. Hopefully next time the end result will be better.

I was 4 years old at the time and my dad gave me a tshirt that said "BO DON'T KNOW SNOW" on it. He loved it when I wore it! :unsure:

When going to the Buffalo/Houston playoff game in 1993, the Oil/Choke light came on in my car. Didn't think much of it, cause it always came on after about 30 minutes of driving. It came on after the game and I had to pull over to the side of the road, because neither me nor my friends could stop laughing

Haha perfect! :flirt:

No really crazy stories here. I was a freshman in college in 2004, just moved to Pittsburgh from Rochester, when we lost to the second stringers to miss the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year. My dorm-mates sure got a kick out of that.

However, I also got to experience the riots twice in Pittsburgh for their Superbowl victories while I was there.... definitely awesome. I remember the second one, I was pretty drunk, and I run into my buddy from Buffalo and we got all emotional thinking about how SWEET it will be someday when Buffalo wins the big one!

Go Bills!

Another great story! Partying with the brothers. Where'd you guys go?

We ended up going to 'Opium' first and then sorta meandered around the Chippewa district. None of them really drank and they just seemed more interested in taking in the sights.

Maybe one of the funnier things was, only one of them had a fully charged cell phone battery, and they kept swapping so they could make calls. It was just funny to see future millionaires having to scrounge for cell phone juice like that.

All very nice guys, kinda shy though, which seemed odd.

The other funny thing is how they were all universally in awe of Sam Gash!

My sister knew the Bills' trainer and arranged for us to hang out a Fredonia training camp. This was Moulds rookie year. We got to hang out on the sidelines, with the players. I spoke with Eric, rode in a golf cart with Marvcus...had unreal access to the team. Just watched practice and had an amazing day. Then, after the morning session, I walked out of the secure area, wearing a bills pullover and was approached by about thirty people who wanted my autograph. They thought I was a player trying out for the team. Instead of correcting them, I went with it, and said I was trying out for special teams. Everyone bought it and I signed shirts, footballs, everything. I know I shouldn't have ruined those items for those kids, but I was caught up in the moment. It was surreal. Definitely the coolest Bills thing I have done. Sorry if I signed your shirt or ball.

Going to a Bills game during our honeymoon, saw the Bills beat the Panthers for their first home win in almost a year(2001)

I was there on that one too. Skipped work to go too. I think they won 3 games that season. Went to the ticket booth before the game and just asked for their best available tickets. Got tickets about 20 or so rows up right on the 50. Couldn't believe how empty that place was. 25-24 win

There may be others on the board that were at this one...

Back in the Flutie years, was working in DC area and at PricewaterhouseCoopers. A fellow Bills fan who was also there, got us seats in the PwC box. Only time I've ever been in a box at a game.

Bills/Flutie kicked the Redskins tails from pillar to post all game long.

As the butt kicking is unfolding we notice that there seemed to be a massive, raucus party going on 2 boxes down, which seemed strange given that the 'Skins were getting killed. We walked down there at halftime and went into the box. It turned out to be the Maryland Governor's box and was filled with Bills Fans. We were told that somebody who was originally from Buffalo had a big role in the development/construction of Fedex Stadium and when they asked him what he wanted at the end, he just wanted the Governor's box when the Bills came to town to host all his friends!!!

The box was full and I even ran into a couple longtime childhood friends there. Tim Russert (RIP) even came into the box to watch the 2nd half with the group. Scott Berchold (PR/Comm guy) came in and asked the party if they needed anything.

Oh yeah, did I say the Bills destroyed the Redskins that day... its definitely the way to see an away game!!

Good thread....

In a thread with tons of cool stories, you've got maybe the two best. Kudos, ERBF.

Not bad. Were your buddies hiding in the closet? :o

Talk about a voyage of the damned! What an epic…surreal…and yes, you were asking for it. But as Nietzsche said (or was it Ray Nitschke?), that which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Nice story. Thought it'd have a different ending though.

Very Cool!

Another great story! Partying with the brothers. Where'd you guys go?

Metzelaars, your thread about moving back to Buffalo is one of the best ever. Glad you weighed in here. Also glad you didn't move back to Buffalo either you crazy son of a gun! They'd have to hide the women and children.

Awesome thread, fellas. Puts it all in perspective. And a welcome break from our endless circular debates and our troll vigilanteism.

Just Great stuff.

Thanks San Jose! It has been fun reading everyones stories, except for maybe the Chihuahua with the bad hair piece that banged my sister! :w00t: Hope more people come out of the woodwork.

Does "banging a Jill" count?

It sure an hell does, Dean!......and bonus points for details!

My sister knew the Bills' trainer and arranged for us to hang out a Fredonia training camp. This was Moulds rookie year. We got to hang out on the sidelines, with the players. I spoke with Eric, rode in a golf cart with Marvcus...had unreal access to the team. Just watched practice and had an amazing day. Then, after the morning session, I walked out of the secure area, wearing a bills pullover and was approached by about thirty people who wanted my autograph. They thought I was a player trying out for the team. Instead of correcting them, I went with it, and said I was trying out for special teams. Everyone bought it and I signed shirts, footballs, everything. I know I shouldn't have ruined those items for those kids, but I was caught up in the moment. It was surreal. Definitely the coolest Bills thing I have done. Sorry if I signed your shirt or ball.

THAT was YOU? never could figure out who that guy was that signed my ball!

Goog stuff all!

Went down to Houston for a game against the Texans. A poster here on the board told us where he'd be tailgating and to stop over. As we approach, we see a bunch of guys in Kelly jerseys. We get closer, and they look familiar. Yeah, 3 of Jim Kelly's brothers (Ed, Pat, & Dan) and familes were there. We drank ALOT that day :censored: - fun bunch of people.

I don't have any stories that are as epic as the best ones on this thread, but one of my "coolest" Bills experiences had to do with a field goal kicker, Todd Schlopy.

During the 1987 season, I was an intern at Channel 4. Van Miller was the lead sports anchor and also the Voice of the Buffalo Bills. One week Van gave me a media pass to cover the Bills-Giants game.

That game came during the 1987 players strike and the rosters of both teams were stocked mostly by replacement players. Fan and media interest alike was lukewarm at best. But it was still pretty cool being there. I got to sit in the press box (free vittles) and then the locker room afterwards to help out with player interviews.

While it was mostly replacement players, there were some regulars who had crossed the picket line to play. Among those were Keith McKellar, Rob Riddick, and Leon Seals for the Bills and Jeff Rutledge and Lawrence Taylor for the Giants. LT had two sacks in that game and also was sent out as a tight end on a few passing plays. The Bills field goal kicker was Todd Schlopy who I believe the team brought in originally as camp fodder. He was an Orchard Park kid and it probably seemed like it'd be a good human interest story to bring the local kid in to camp. When the players voted to strike, Schlopy became the Bills (replacement team) kicker.

Well the game was played in a light mist and was dreadful. Neither team could mount an attack and as the 4th quarter arrived, the game was scoreless. The offenses were totally inept. Then in a momentary blip of scoring, the Giants kicked a short ice-breaking field goal, and minutes later the Bills tied the score courtesy of a short field goal by Todd Schlopy. As the game clock wound to zero there was a collective groan from everyone in the press box. Overtime.

This is where the game became a bit surreal. Because of the weather, the time of year, and the fact that it was a 4 pm kickoff, it was very dark when overtime kicked off. I remember both teams missing short field goal attempts. Then as time was winding down in the overtime period, Schlopy was given yet another chance to be the hero and win the game for the Bills. He managed to get the ball through the uprights and the kid from Orchard Park had kicked the game-winning field goal in overtime of an NFL game.

In the locker room afterwards, I remember a group of us interviewing Schlopy. He was in a daze…just overwhelmed, exhausted, and happy…basking in a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It was such an improbable point in his football career. After the crews turned off their cameras and everyone was done asking him questions, I extended my hand to Schlopy to give him a handshake. He was so excited that he gave me a hug. Then all the other reporters lined up and shook hands with him, setting aside their professional distance to offer their congratulations. Everyone realized that this was the biggest moment of his life.

I remember thinking that it was so odd that in a big league game, played by minor leaguers, that the ending could be so poetic.

I'm not good at stories, so.....

Getting to be on the field in Stampede Row for every home game (pre and regular season) from 2001-2004

Getting on a Peerless Price trading card because of the above reason

Having the Bills send me on an away game trip to Miami in 2005, all expenses paid

Making a comment to Jim Kelly after a game and him remembering it and asking me about it three months later at the Hiunters Hope Candlelight Ball

Going to the Hunters Hope Candlelight Ball from 2000-2006

Getting to meet Jeff Burris one on one in Indy (thanks Cindy!) the night before the Bills played the Colts in 2001 (the first week games were resumed after you know what)

Getting Gabe Northerns autograph on my Gabe Northern jersey

Getting to talk with Russ Brandon from time to time when he was just head of marketing because we're both from Syracuse

Being in the Blue Coats and getting to attend/work at alot of community events

Having Lief Larson politely ask me for some pizza because he was starving before one of the above events (even called me sir)

Working with Bryce Fisher at another event

Two Bills Drive Annual Home Opener Tailgate I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X (first to arrive at Hammers 9 years and counting)

While visitng Buffalo I went to the Bills practice site and saw a pile of extra sod from the practice field. I took some back to Fla. and planted it in my yard.

Week 2 of the 2006 season, Buffalo @ Miami. A lot of people thought the Dolphins were due for a big year and no one thought we would be any good. This was before I found out about the Bills Backers so I was in a sports bar as basically the lone Buffalo fan with Dolphins fans around me (there was a woman there rooting for the Bills but she wasn't really paying attention). Hardly anyone gave us a chance to win but in the end we basically dominated the game (almost shut the fins out). The Dolphins fans didn't say anything to me but it was still pretty awesome.