Re: Jim Kelly's California QB theory debunked

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...theory-debunked

Boy did they totally misunderstand what Jim Kelly is talking about. Jim Kelly played for Miami Hurricanes so was he really talking about warm weather QB's when he mentioned California QB's. Obviously that was not the point Jim Kelly was making. He simply stated that the Bills failed with the last 3 QB's out of California and they should stay away from selecting another one. What he is infering is strickly attitude, the surfer mentality. Laidback dude, whats up!!!, hang five type dude. I think he was totally right, none of those 3 QB's are great leaders. You can quietly lead but you had better be a great statisical QB. Otherwise we need a vocal leader who is tough, can play in cold weather and makes safe decsions with the ball. I will take what Kelly says over any bozo writing an article, the man was a great leader, Hall of fame QB. :wacko:

Boy did they totally misunderstand what Jim Kelly is talking about. Jim Kelly played for Miami Hurricanes so was he really talking about warm weather QB's when he mentioned California QB's. Obviously that was not the point Jim Kelly was making. He simply stated that the Bills failed with the last 3 QB's out of California and they should stay away from selecting another one. What he is infering is strickly attitude, the surfer mentality. Laidback dude, whats up!!!, hang five type dude. I think he was totally right, none of those 3 QB's are great leaders. You can quietly lead but you had better be a great statisical QB. Otherwise we need a vocal leader who is tough, can play in cold weather and makes safe decsions with the ball. I will take what Kelly says over any bozo writing an article, the man was a great leader, Hall of fame QB. :wacko:

Not this topic again? I thought it finally died.

I think Kelly opened himself up to this with his comment. Yes, we all know he was basically saying that we haven't had good luck with QBs from California. But that's what he should've said, and if he had, there wouldn't have been any drama. While I like and respect Tim Graham, he is still a member of the media. It's his duty to report that someone else researched warm weather QBs in cold weather. It's not like he went and launched the investigation himself, and I hold nothing against him for reporting the results of the research. I'd take statistics and facts over what an old has-been who's trying to remain relevant has to offer, any day of the week. Go Bills!

Is it fair to assume all QBs/people from California have this attitude/mentality? In that context that statement is more naive.

Is it fair to assume all QBs/people from California have this attitude/mentality? In that context that statement is more naive.

And needless to say, there are plenty of people in every state who have the laidback, surfer-dude mentality. The whole question is pointless: we need to evaluate individual quarterbacks, and stop imagining this group of "California QBs" has any real relevance.

Is it fair that Buffalo gets stigimatized for snow. Like it doesn't snow anywhere else in the country. Last I checked 49 states last year got snow. People around the country laugh at us for being from Buffalo, what are we a bunch of uneducated rednecks. Some of us like snow. Movies like Point Break definetly made their point what California coastal men are like. Not everyone is like that but there are enough people that are that a joke can be made about it.

Everyone is missing the point anyway. People are trying to say Kelly is talking about warm weather when he is talking about attitude, that's it. fault him for that if you wish, I sort of believe what he is saying. These 3 QB's fit that profile.

And needless to say, there are plenty of people in every state who have the laidback, surfer-dude mentality. The whole question is pointless: we need to evaluate individual quarterbacks, and stop imagining this group of "California QBs" has any real relevance.

:wallbash: Charlie don't surf.

I have 3 comments

1.) This was not a theory by Jim Kelly. It was an opinion.

2.) Tim Graham is a whiny, arrogant doucebag. I've had this opinion of him ever since I read his first comment on this board but I generally kept it to myself because everone was kissing his butt for gracing us with his prescence eventhough he never brought any real insight or anything of substance other than his arrogance.

3.) I am glad Tim is no longer posting here and I am happy we still have John Wawrow. John is intelligent, insightful and is not afraid to get into a debate with someone who disagrees with him instead of crying about it and leaving.

I have 3 comments

2.) Tim Graham is a whiny, arrogant doucebag. I've had this opinion of him ever since I read his first comment on this board but I generally kept it to myself because everone was kissing his butt for gracing us with his prescence eventhough he never brought any real insight or anything of substance other than his arrogance.

3.) I am glad Tim is no longer posting here and I am happy we still have John Wawrow. John is intelligent, insightful and is not afraid to get into a debate with someone who disagrees with him instead of crying about it and leaving.

Wow.

Of all writers... I wouldn't think Graham would write this stupid article

Why? I'm not impressed with his ESPN offerings. To be fair though, He may just be out of practice since so much of his column is reposting other articles.

I have 3 comments

TG is the only realistic and respectable ESPN blogger (IMO). Your comments toward him are so far fetched with pointless IGNORANCE it makes me giggle. Not only did he give props to this forum he actually took the time out of his busy schedule to interact with us hardcore bills fans. You should be ashamed of yourself young man!!

Not this topic again? I thought it finally died.

This topic will never die. It's a shame because anyone who has spent any amount of time on this board knows that Jim Kelly is talking about the weak, sufer mindset of a lot of the warm weather qb's, espically Rob (china-doll) Johnson, JP (loss,man) Lossman, and Trent (Capt. Checkdown) Edwards. Hopefully TE can break the curse of warm weather qb's with the Bills.

This topic will never die. It's a shame because anyone who has spent any amount of time on this board knows that Jim Kelly is talking about the weak, sufer mindset of a lot of the warm weather qb's, espically Rob (china-doll) Johnson, JP (loss,man) Lossman, and Trent (Capt. Checkdown) Edwards. Hopefully TE can break the curse of warm weather qb's with the Bills.

Perhaps Kelly should have said that, and not opened himself up to being made a fool of.

perhaps 'reporters' should stop taking quotes out of context on purpose so they have something to write about?

Does Tim Graham have credentials?

I assume he does.

If he's writing about old news like this, he must not be spending much time covering or caring about the Bills.

Can't blame him, he's also assigned to the Cheats and the Jests.

Is it fair that Buffalo gets stigimatized for snow. Like it doesn't snow anywhere else in the country. Last I checked 49 states last year got snow. People around the country laugh at us for being from Buffalo, what are we a bunch of uneducated rednecks. Some of us like snow. Movies like Point Break definetly made their point what California coastal men are like. Not everyone is like that but there are enough people that are that a joke can be made about it.

Everyone is missing the point anyway. People are trying to say Kelly is talking about warm weather when he is talking about attitude, that's it. fault him for that if you wish, I sort of believe what he is saying. These 3 QB's fit that profile.

Being labeled as a region is much different than being labeled as a person(s).

It's one thing to say, "it snows a lot in Buffalo", and another to say "everyone from Buffalo is _______."

BTW, I've never heard anyone outside of NYS call Buffalo residents rednecks. That's usually reserved for "southern" folk. Rude, obnoxious, whiny, maybe a little on the heavy side, ya sure. But never "rednecks".

1. Anyone who knows anything whatsoever about California knows there is an enormous difference between southern california and northern california. Probably as big a difference as Buffalo is to New York City. So stereotyping someone from "California" is just plain dumb. Not to mention central California, and the real northern California as SF is just a little more than half way up the state.

2. Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards all are completely different personalities. I'm not sure any of them fit a Southern California stereotype, and I live here. All of them tried pretty hard for the Bills. They may have sucked as QBs but it wasn't because they were laid back. Maybe RJ was, but not JP.

3. I never saw Losman have any trouble with the weather or the cold that he didn't have in bright sunshine. If anything his problem was he was too much like Kelly, too bossy, with not enough stature and success in the league to back it up.

No. It isn't fair. John Elway was from Northern California and did quite well playing in ''cold/snowy'' Denver.

Just think, if Kelly would have been smart enough to say what you are saying he meant, this might not have been an issue anyways. His statement didn't rule out QBs like Troy (HOFer-3 Superbowl Rings) Aikman, Carson (We won our division last year) Palmer or Jack (2 AFL Titles) Kemp.