Trent Dilfer on Trent Edwards:

He had the most simplified Offense in the NFL and STILL couldn't perform. The guy can't handle pressure, can't read defenses, Won't throw with anticipation. He shouldn't have a shot at starting period.

we are going to waste several games I fear 'just to make sure' with this clown just like we did with Collins, RJ, JP etal.

I'm with ya. Barring some kind of immediate 180 degree turnaround and some magic ball growing cream we shouldn't waste our time with Trent.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Chan Gailey was with the Chiefs for only the 08 season, he was at Georgia Tech from 02-07, and then wasn't he fired just before the 09 season started and just before jauron fired schonert?

The Chiefs went 2-14 with Chan Gailey as OC and Herman Edwards as HC

The QB's in 08

Tyler Thigpin had 11 GS 230 comp 420 attempts 54.8 comp % 18 TD and 12 INTs

Damon Huard had 3 GS 50 comp 81 attempts 61.7 comp % 2 TD's 4 INTs

Brodie Croyle had 2 GS 20 comp 29 attempts 69.0 comp % 0 TDs 0 INTs

The RB's in 08

Larry Johnson rushed for 193 Attempts 874 yds in 5TDs -12 GS

Jamaal Charles 57 attempts 357 0 TDs-2 GS

Kolby Smith 35 attepts 100 yds 1 TD-3 GS

Not a real glowing endorsement for a hire as a HC IMO. The Bills beat the Chiefs that year 54-31. In fact I think he got Herm Edwards fired,rofl

Just to add, I didn't dig into the Chiefs 08 season very deeply but my take is that they were always playing from behind and threw the ball more often to play catch up, kinda like they did against the Bills. Defenses tend to play prevent and lay back allowing more passes underneath when they get a lead. If that is truly the case then that might be the exact reason as to why Thigpin is now a 3rd stringer in Miami.

One poster here stated: Case in point: Thigpen looked like a Pro Bowler in KC when Gailey was there. ..really? :devil:

You think we have been bad the last few year? To be honest we were just under being a .500 team by one game a year. The Chiefs were HORRIBLE. I mean HORRIBLE. I don't hold their crappy performance against Chan. Nobody could polish that turd into a diamond.

I don't need to read it again. Make no mistake, I'll be like a pit bull when it comes to fans here making excuses for a guy who was more interested in improving his golf game than improving his skills at his chosen profession. Frankly, it was the "for Christ sake" after the excuse that sent me over the edge. Why feel the need to be so sympathetic to Trent? He doesn't give a crap about Buffalo, the Bills OR even his job for Christ sake!

By leaving Buffalo for the links, this loser acted like he had it all figured out. As if he were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and not the first year starter who went down in flames in his last three games to end the 2008 season.

You may not be a Trent supporter or pom pom waver, but you did give the guy a "there, there...I feel your pain" pat on the back. Fans here on this board need to be giving him the major kick in the ass that he deserves.

You are right. He is the only guy in the NFL (and probably the NHL) to play golf. We should cut him immediately.

I don't need to read it again. Make no mistake, I'll be like a pit bull when it comes to fans here making excuses for a guy who was more interested in improving his golf game than improving his skills at his chosen profession. Frankly, it was the "for Christ sake" after the excuse that sent me over the edge. Why feel the need to be so sympathetic to Trent? He doesn't give a crap about Buffalo, the Bills OR even his job for Christ sake!

By leaving Buffalo for the links, this loser acted like he had it all figured out. As if he were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and not the first year starter who went down in flames in his last three games to end the 2008 season.

You may not be a Trent supporter or pom pom waver, but you did give the guy a "there, there...I feel your pain" pat on the back. Fans here on this board need to be giving him the major kick in the ass that he deserves.

Yeah, you do. Because I clearly said that CRITICIZING THE COACHING IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO SUPPORTING THE QB. The coaching sucked. The QB coach was non-existent - literally. Edwards was hung out to dry by bad coaching. That does not mean Edwards is any good, it means he was hung out to dry by bad coaching.

You...you think criticizing one is defending the other. You can't even admit the coaching sucks without jumping all over my **** with "but Edwards sucks too, so stop defending him!", which isn't even a point I made (or is a point I made by alluding to the fact that if anyone knows mediocre QB play, it's Trent !@#$ing Dilfer).

So yes, you should go re-read my post, and try to understand it just a little bit. But apparently you can't. Thus...you're pretty much an idiot then, aren't you?

Yeah, you do. Because I clearly said that CRITICIZING THE COACHING IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO SUPPORTING THE QB. The coaching sucked. The QB coach was non-existent - literally. Edwards was hung out to dry by bad coaching. That does not mean Edwards is any good, it means he was hung out to dry by bad coaching.

You...you think criticizing one is defending the other. You can't even admit the coaching sucks without jumping all over my **** with "but Edwards sucks too, so stop defending him!", which isn't even a point I made (or is a point I made by alluding to the fact that if anyone knows mediocre QB play, it's Trent !@#$ing Dilfer).

So yes, you should go re-read my post, and try to understand it just a little bit. But apparently you can't. Thus...you're pretty much an idiot then, aren't you?

Why we he do that? That would only interfere with his agenda.

Why we he do that? That would only interfere with his agenda.

Oh, he wouldn't do that.

But why the hell should I take **** for it from him? He wants to hate Edwards, I don't care...but don't jump down my throat because I say the coaching sucked.

You are right. He is the only guy in the NFL (and probably the NHL) to play golf. We should cut him immediately.

Guarantee, Manning and Brady were not taking whole offseasons off to play golf after their second season. Please name me one successful NFL QB who did that so early in their career over the last ten years.

Guarantee, Manning and Brady were not taking whole offseasons off to play golf after their second season. Please name me one successful NFL QB who did that so early in their career over the last ten years.

. . . and neither did he. This whole pissing match is ridiculous. We may as well wait until training camp before we start trashing our QBs. Right now, the whole thing is meaningless. You and I have a different opinion regarding Edwards. I am not going to change your mind. You are not going to change my mind. We may as well see what happens in training camp and preseason before we all start trashing the players and each other.

Life is too short.

Oh, he wouldn't do that.

But why the hell should I take **** for it from him? He wants to hate Edwards, I don't care...but don't jump down my throat because I say the coaching sucked.

Yes the coaching sucked, but can I get an opinion from you on weather or not you think, through his previous actions, Edwards is or isn't dedicated to the game of football?

. . . and neither did he. This whole pissing match is ridiculous. We may as well wait until training camp before we start trashing our QBs. Right now, the whole thing is meaningless. You and I have a different opinion regarding Edwards. I am not going to change your mind. You are not going to change my mind. We may as well see what happens in training camp and preseason before we all start trashing the players and each other.

Life is too short.

I think you're wrong, I heard an interview with Trent in the early summer of '09 where Edwards told the radio host that all he was doing was playing a ton of golf. Manning and Brady were legendary in their offseason dedications. They practically lived at their respective teams' training facilities. Watching film, lifting weights, showing leadership.

You're right, life is too short. That's why I have no time to be sympathetic to a guy that could care less about doing what it takes to better himself for my team.

You think we have been bad the last few year? To be honest we were just under being a .500 team by one game a year. The Chiefs were HORRIBLE. I mean HORRIBLE. I don't hold their crappy performance against Chan. Nobody could polish that turd into a diamond.
Maybe you don't hold their crappy performance against Chan, Herman Edwards just might. :devil:

So, when the Bills go 2-14 this year like the Chiefs did, you can say. The Bills were HORRIBLE. I mean HORRIBLE. Nobody could polish that turd into a diamond.

All this talk about the "pistol" offense has all the bills fans gushing about how good the team is going to be this year. This guy went to a team to coach up just the offense and they got worse, 2x as worse.

When Bill Parcels took over a 1-15 Miami Dolphins he knew exactly what coaches to hire, what players to acquire, he got it done and went to the playoffs the very next year with a washed up veteran noodle armed QB in Chad Pennington.

Gee, I wonder what position the Dolphins drafted with that #1 overall?

Maybe you don't hold their crappy performance against Chan, Herman Edwards just might. :devil:

So, when the Bills go 2-14 this year like the Chiefs did, you can say. The Bills were HORRIBLE. I mean HORRIBLE. Nobody could polish that turd into a diamond.

To be accurate, Thigpen's numbers were what they were, however he was a third string QB playing cuz of injury to the other two QBs on a team with no defense. Given the offense on this team the last few years, I think fans would take 18 passing TDs in 11 games. I don't think Thigpen is a starting QB in this league, however I think Gailey got all he could out of him. He hasn't turned pigs*&t into ProBowlers, as someone suggested, but he has designed offenses around his player's strengths. His offenses were successful behind such inauspicous QBs as Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and a host of other second string has beens. There are 4 young QBs on this team and IMO, with the exception of Fitz, all of them have the tools to potentially succeed. Give the man the chance to evaluate them and see what he can get out of them. There was no QB in this year's draft with the potential to come in this season and be more successful in this situation than what we already have. Nix has said all along that if you bring in someone else who doesn't make the situation better, you've only compounded the problem.

Regarding LT, I'd love to play poker with those that insist something has to be done now. There are two LTs potentially on the market, and now SD's LT doesn't want to sign his tender. The only team that comes up as a possible destination is Buffalo, because everyone knows we could use a tackle. That's three sellers potentially, and one buyer. We don't need to make a move before training camp, and realistically not even a week or so before preseason starts, as I'm sure a starting caliber tackle can probably pick up a blocking scheme and cadence on short notice. So, why not wait for the market to come to you while evaluating what you already have, which is a couple of young players with potential who ended up starting too early last year because of horrible decision making and a kharmically challenged slew of injuries. Why spend money or burn draft picks when you don't know what you have in place currently.

Losman's weaknesses were evident all along. It was because of those weaknesses that the front office brought in first Nall, and later Edwards, in an effort to replace him. It was because of those weaknesses that Losman lost his starting spot to a rookie, and was later relegated to third string status. It was because of those weaknesses that he was relegated to the UFL for a while, and can now barely hold onto an NFL roster spot.

Losman lost his job thanks to Vince Wilfork and a coaching staff that had not been a part of the regime that drafted him. Say what you will, but they didn't really look at Losman as part of the long-term plan and they weren't going to give him a fair shot.

I think both regimes were complete sh--shows, so don't mark me down as a Losman fan for it. I think he was, by virtue of his background, more likely to bust, but he could certainly have sat behind Favre with a stable coaching staff as Aaron Rodgers did and lucked into a different career. It's possible.

By your logic, by the way, Fitzpatrick took Edwards' job on performance alone, and not because of injuries.

Rationalizing anything the last coaching staff did here takes a leap of faith and about ten shots of whisky as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't read a whole lot into their conclusions.

Nice copy/pasting job also.

How in gods green earth do you figure this is a multi-year building project? How can you take it so casually that because this is a new head coach he automatically gets a multi year pass to rebuild. Every time the Bills hire a new head coach we fans have to endure the BS of constant rebuilding. Sorry but a decade of this rebuilding crap has worn me down.

It sounds like you're feeling extraordinarily frustrated with this Bills team and the direction it's taken over the last ten+ years. Quite frankly, I can't say I blame you. On the contrary.

The problem is that while other teams were moving forward and making progress over the last ten years--building themselves up--the Bills were achieving little. Peyton Manning was taken first overall in the 1998 draft. I mention him because I want to draw attention to the fact that other teams have spent the last ten+ years acquiring long-term building blocks, and keeping them. Obviously, the Bills have no players from the 1990s.

In fact, let's look at the first round picks from 2000 to the present to see how many are still helping the team.

2000: Erik Flowers. Result: bust.

2001: Nate Clements. Result: first contract and out.

2002: Mike Williams. Result: bust.

2002b: traded for Drew Bledsoe. Result: released after three years.

2003: Willis McGahee. Result: traded for two third round picks. (Those picks became Marcus Stroud and Trent Edwards.)

2004a: Lee Evans. Result: a solid starter.

2004b: J.P. Losman. Result: UFL Championship

2005: none

2006a: Donte Whitner. Result: a player roughly equal to George Wilson

2006b: John McCargo. Result: unsuccessfully attempted to trade him for a fifth round pick

2007: Marshawn Lynch. Result: discontented player worth no more than a third round pick in a trade

2008: Leodis McKelvin. Result: a reasonably good young player who looks to play nickel back this year

2009a: Aaron Maybin. Result: produced nothing his rookie year, but may be more successful as an OLB

2009b: Eric Wood. Result: a solid interior OL who's coming back from a gruesome injury

Other than Lee Evans and Eric Wood, there's no one on this list where you could say, "The Bills are counting on this guy to be a solid starter at his position." If you consistently fail to build your team through the draft, and specifically through the first round, then you're going to fall behind the teams that have succeeded in that task. Catching up to those teams is not the work of a single year.

Yea, dickhead jauron rebuilt for 4 years and look where it took the team, then he states that the team lacks talent...when he was the one responsable for obtaining the talent

Obviously the team was very poorly run under Jauron. Key positions such as quarterback and offensive line were neglected, resources were showered on positions like DB and RB, and there were some real reaches in the draft. Players in the latter category included Whitner (obviously), McCargo, and Lynch. With the exception of McCargo, none of those guys played a position the Bills should have been trying to address in the first round to begin with.

This team was 3-5 players away from becoming a very good team, aside from the obvious upgrades needed at coaching positions. Even if you can't find those 3-5 players in the draft there is always free agency.

That depends on whether you're just throwing something together for one year, or if you're trying to build a team that will last for a while. If you look at last year's team, only two players out of the front-7 represented good long-term answers at their respective positions: Poz and Kyle Williams. So that's five holes right there! Add to that the holes at QB, LT, RT, C, etc., and that's a lot of holes! Not only that, but there are very few difference-makers or game-changers on this team. You need a few of those if you want to be really good.

The Bills threw a 5th round pick at their most glaring need and drafted a "water-bug" RB instead. Last season dickhead jauron drafted a 3 year project DE and look where it got him.

I was not happy about the idea of addressing the RB position with our first round pick. But if Spiller was a significantly better football player than anyone else on the board when we picked, then I could see some sense in taking him. I just hope that next year, the best available player is at a position we really need.

Yes the coaching sucked, but can I get an opinion from you on weather or not you think, through his previous actions, Edwards is or isn't dedicated to the game of football?

No, because I have no opinion on that. I simply don't know if he is or not.

No doubt you'll somehow construe that as a "defense" of Edwards.

Wow, you're tough... :wacko:

Can I have your autograph, Fitz??

To be accurate, Thigpen's numbers were what they were, however he was a third string QB playing cuz of injury to the other two QBs on a team with no defense. Given the offense on this team the last few years, I think fans would take 18 passing TDs in 11 games. I don't think Thigpen is a starting QB in this league, however I think Gailey got all he could out of him. He hasn't turned pigs*&t into ProBowlers, as someone suggested, but he has designed offenses around his player's strengths. His offenses were successful behind such inauspicous QBs as Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and a host of other second string has beens. There are 4 young QBs on this team and IMO, with the exception of Fitz, all of them have the tools to potentially succeed. Give the man the chance to evaluate them and see what he can get out of them. There was no QB in this year's draft with the potential to come in this season and be more successful in this situation than what we already have. Nix has said all along that if you bring in someone else who doesn't make the situation better, you've only compounded the problem.

Regarding LT, I'd love to play poker with those that insist something has to be done now. There are two LTs potentially on the market, and now SD's LT doesn't want to sign his tender. The only team that comes up as a possible destination is Buffalo, because everyone knows we could use a tackle. That's three sellers potentially, and one buyer. We don't need to make a move before training camp, and realistically not even a week or so before preseason starts, as I'm sure a starting caliber tackle can probably pick up a blocking scheme and cadence on short notice. So, why not wait for the market to come to you while evaluating what you already have, which is a couple of young players with potential who ended up starting too early last year because of horrible decision making and a kharmically challenged slew of injuries. Why spend money or burn draft picks when you don't know what you have in place currently.

You make sense in what you say, I just don't get an offensive minded man basically ignoring the second most important position on the offense. I think the Bills could win with Trent Edwards / any QB, if they are given the proper protection and enough time to throw and complete 5-7 step dropback passes when needed.

What it looks like right now is that he is listening the wrong people telling him the line is fine or thinking the current players can get the job done. The Bills put a band-aid on the RT position and did nothing for the LT position except draft a player to develop in 2-3 years.

As for your last statement, I'm pretty sure he has the last two years of game tape to watch and has seen what we have seen. The fact that he didn't properly focus on upgrading the O line to the point most NFL analysts think he should have tells me he is no better then jauron, and NOT the offensive messiah and franchise savior most of the posters defending him here think he is.

The entire problem with Trent Edwards was Dick Jauron, huh? Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.

Let's be real here, Trent Dilfer is seriously one of the dumbest NFL analysts ever (and dumb NFL analysts are in abundance). So Trent Edwards is a freaking victim now? He's the biggest wuss to ever wear a Bills uniform and we fans supposed to look at him as a victim now? Give me a break.

Let's be real, AVP was as much of the problem as the O-line was....