California may ban plastic bags

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arnold approves

What a messed up state. 19 Billion deficit but they have time to worry about grocery bags.

California definitely has it's political problems,but we're hardly a "messed up state". I wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else. An hour away from the Pacific ocean,an hour away from the Sierra Nevada and a beautiful Mediterranean climate. Yeah,that really sucks. I could care less what my grocery bags are made of. It's a hell of a lot better than living in the Arctic.

California definitely has it's political problems,but we're hardly a "messed up state". I wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else. An hour away from the Pacific ocean,an hour away from the Sierra Nevada and a beautiful Mediterranean climate. Yeah,that really sucks. I could care less what my grocery bags are made of. It's a hell of a lot better than living in the Arctic.

True. Also true that he is ripping on Cali... But think of the ramifications. If they do it elsewhere (no bags)... Where the hell am I gonna put the spent kitty litter! :ph34r:

True. Also true that he is ripping on Cali... But think of the ramifications. If they do it elsewhere (no bags)... Where the hell am I gonna put the spent kitty litter! :ph34r:

Get rid of the cat. Problem solved! :wallbash: The plastic bags are handy as garbage bags,but it won't make a big difference in my life whether we have them or not.

Were are reusable bags made in? China? Same thing with all the other crazy enviro stuff like CFL's. I would get on board with all this if that stuff was made here in the state where we can semi-regulate the damage done to the enviro at the manufacturing stage of the game!

The point of the legislation isn't American jobs, but to stop throwing billions of plastic bags into landfills every year. Everyones like to talk about taking care of the environment, but no one wants to actually change any behavior. I honestly don't think it's a bad idea -- I'd rather ban them than 'tax' them and create more gubmint bureaucracy. It never ceases to amaze me that I can purchase one small item at a drugstore or grocer and the cashier will invariably try to put it in a bag.

The point of the legislation isn't American jobs, but to stop throwing billions of plastic bags into landfills every year. Everyones like to talk about taking care of the environment, but no one wants to actually change any behavior. I honestly don't think it's a bad idea -- I'd rather ban them than 'tax' them and create more gubmint bureaucracy. It never ceases to amaze me that I can purchase one small item at a drugstore or grocer and the cashier will invariably try to put it in a bag.

Who the !@#$ cares?... I work near (within feet) of one of the country's largest and finest landfills ;) ... AND THEY (BAGS) ARE NOT A PROBLEM. Where the hell does does this whole: "We gotta stop them from ending up in landfills BS come from." They are !@#$ing buried... And even if they get away, we need a few more dead seagulls around... ;)

What amazes me... For all the !@#$ing bags generated in our consumer culture... What little we actually see floating around. We must be doing something right getting rid of them or burying them...

And I am not talking about American jobs... I am talking about the overall cost to the enviro. I wonder what they (countries making them) do to the enviro making the reusable bags, even if they are from recycled material... They are still made overseas where they throw the enviro under the bus 100 times worse than if we just used the damn plastic bags here!

What are plastic bags blowing all around the rich, affluent, and elitist sections of America? :worthy: NO. They are dumped into the poor part of town.

People need to get real and stop acting so damned elitist and arrogant. "Oh, look what I am doing... Look what I am doing... Hey, you can't do that!" :wallbash:

I love when my sister-in-laws come to visit IL from the the People's Republic of MA... We don't reccyle in our town (and the town is better off in the long run NOT beholden to any federal (or whoeever's) BS... And trust me I know fed BS (among other BS ;) ), I work for them), so I make a point to make myself noticed throwing everything (except AL, I get money for that) in the garbage... They freak out to high heaven! :lol: In the long run my carbon footprint is probably way smaller than the other slobs in this country. I have regular lightbulbs that have lasted 15 years! I am not a hoarder either... ;) I just don't consume mindlessly... It is amazing what slobs people are and the garbage they make even when the "recycle!"

/end anti-green rant

When plastic bags are outlawed only outlaws will have plastic bags. :wallbash:

:lol:

The "kitty litter police" will come knocking on my door! I need to go to K-Mart and start stocking up (bag to ammo reference) on free bags... Tell them I need a bunch for the "Boy Scouts!" ;)

You know what is !@#$ed up about Cali? I installed a new replacement water softener a few years back... Reading through the instructions... It warned me (actually, not me... Because in some states like MA, I think it is illegal to do your own plumbing... :worthy: ) that if I install the softener in Cali, I have to use the "salt saver" feature on the damn thing... BY LAW. WTF? The "salt/water police" gonna come knock on my door at 0200 when the damn thing is regenerating? ;) Gee... I suppose it is like washing your car or watering your lawn in front of everybody on the wrong water saving day. !@#$ them!

arnold approves

What a messed up state. 19 Billion deficit but they have time to worry about grocery bags.

I'm surprised Oregon hasn't done this yet. Probably not far behind though. The reusable bags are MUCH better, IMO. For one, they don't fall over and spill as easily and they hold more, so less trips to and from the car. :wallbash:

I'm surprised Oregon hasn't done this yet. Probably not far behind though. The reusable bags are MUCH better, IMO. For one, they don't fall over and spill as easily and they hold more, so less trips to and from the car. :wallbash:

Damn hippy! :worthy:

Anyway... If people just throw them away properly AND use them for other things... There is very little chance they become annoying. People are damn slobs I tell you! That is the problem.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but i do reuse the bags for trash or carrying lunch to work. Guess I could use paper instead. But then, aren't more trees killed because of this?

That's the funny thing...an environmentally-motivated decision to ban plastic bags that themselves were introduced because they were more "environmentally friendly" than paper... :wallbash:

:worthy:

The "kitty litter police" will come knocking on my door! I need to go to K-Mart and start stocking up (bag to ammo reference) on free bags... Tell them I need a bunch for the "Boy Scouts!" :lol:

You know what is !@#$ed up about Cali? I installed a new replacement water softener a few years back... Reading through the instructions... It warned me (actually, not me... Because in some states like MA, I think it is illegal to do your own plumbing... :wallbash: ) that if I install the softener in Cali, I have to use the "salt saver" feature on the damn thing... BY LAW. WTF? The "salt/water police" gonna come knock on my door at 0200 when the damn thing is regenerating? ;) Gee... I suppose it is like washing your car or watering your lawn in front of everybody on the wrong water saving day. !@#$ them!

EVERY single item I buy for my workshop comes with a "California Proposition 65" warning that warns that the item may be known to cause cancer in California. Seriously. Anything with an electrical cord comes with the warning "WARNING: The wires of this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling." I've seen screwdrivers with Prop 65 warnings.

Of course, when I read them, I think "If this thing causes cancer in California, it's a damn good thing I'm in Maryland."

Damn hippy! :worthy:

Anyway... If people just throw them away properly AND use them for other things... There is very little chance they become annoying. People are damn slobs I tell you! That is the problem.

I'm the furthest away from being a hippie. I find them very annoying. :wallbash:

EVERY single item I buy for my workshop comes with a "California Proposition 65" warning that warns that the item may be known to cause cancer in California. Seriously. Anything with an electrical cord comes with the warning "WARNING: The wires of this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling." I've seen screwdrivers with Prop 65 warnings.

Of course, when I read them, I think "If this thing causes cancer in California, it's a damn good thing I'm in Maryland."

It has been around a long time too I guess...

I have an old can of Briwax (12 or so years) and everytime I open it I see that damn label... :wallbash::worthy: It isn't like I am gonna eat it, inhale it, smear it all over my body! Jesus Christ... My in-laws come into town and they bear these old 50 year or so "dry ice" packs (in rusted metal cans to boot!)... I am afraid to put my lunch in their cooler... WTF is in those things?... I guess I do not want to know! :lol:;)