Bills Depth Chart ℅ Allen Wilson

Anyways, Fingon was good enough to post this article in another thread but unfortunately it spawned nothing but the usual bipolar arguments about the outlook for the season with the associated infighting and backbiting characteristic of our message board and its members.

What is most interesting about this article, is that Allen Wilson posts a Bills depth chart. The thing is, the Bills themselves don't have an official depth chart at the moment.

I surmise this to mean that the depth chart in the article is Allen Wilson's projections, and though not shocking, some of his projections are pretty interesting. I've bolded the more interesting ones.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...-camp-countdown

Depth chart

Offense

QB: Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick

FB: Corey McIntyre

RB: C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch

LT: Demetrius Bell, Ed Wang

LG: Andy Levitre, Kyle Calloway

C: Geoff Hangartner, Christian Gaddis

RG: Eric Wood, Kirk Chambers

RT: Cornell Green, Kirk Chambers

TE: Shawn Nelson, Derek Schouman

WR: James Hardy, Steve Johnson

WR: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish

Defense

LE: Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson

NT: Kyle Williams, Torell Troupe

RE: Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington

OLB: Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis

ILB: Andra Davis, Kawika Mitchell

ILB: Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison

OLB: Chris Kelsay, Danny Batten

CB: Terrence McGee, Drayton Florence

CB: Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner

SS: Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott

FS: Jairus Byrd, George Wilson

Anyways, Fingon was good enough to post this article in another thread but unfortunately it spawned nothing but the usual bipolar arguments about the outlook for the season with the associated infighting and backbiting characteristic of our message board and its members.

What is most interesting about this article, is that Allen Wilson posts a Bills depth chart. The thing is, the Bills themselves don't have an official depth chart at the moment.

I surmise this to mean that the depth chart in the article is Allen Wilson's projections, and though not shocking, some of his projections are pretty interesting. I've bolded the more interesting ones.

Depth chart

Offense

QB: Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Curious why you feel this choice is interesting. QB spot is wide open, and Edwards has just as good a chance as anybody else.

FB: Corey McIntyre

RB: C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch

Not overly concerned here. Spiller is listed as RB, but his role will expand beyond being a RB. There is no "hybrid" player position.

LT: Demetrius Bell, Ed Wang

I find D. Bell as the starting LT to be interesting. Actually, I grimace at the mere thought.

LG: Andy Levitre, Kyle Calloway

C: Geoff Hangartner, Christian Gaddis

RG: Eric Wood, Kirk Chambers

RT: Cornell Green, Kirk Chambers

TE: Shawn Nelson, Derek Schouman

WR: James Hardy, Steve Johnson

This would be shocking for those that believe Hardy is a bust, and that Johnson is somehow much better.

WR: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish

Defense

LE: Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson

NT: Kyle Williams, Torell Troupe

RE: Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington

OLB: Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis

Not overly shocking. Schobel retired, and Ellis had motivational problems coming out of college. Maybin by default.

ILB: Andra Davis, Kawika Mitchell

ILB: Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison

Ellison in the middle? Better pray Poz does not get hurt. Ellison will get eaten alive.

OLB: Chris Kelsay, Danny Batten

CB: Terrence McGee, Drayton Florence

CB: Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner

SS: Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott

FS: Jairus Byrd, George Wilson

not really tbh.

Maybe it's just the way he's got it listed. but I think it makes more sense to leave Kelsay on the left (strong) side and Maybin on the right (weak) side.... plays more to their supposed strengths.

What is up with Aaron Schobel? I think our D needs him to try and be an OLB in the new 3-4. Our D needs a pass rush badly and sorry but Kelsay, Batten, and Maybin don't inspire confidence at all in getting some sacks. Schobel is no sure thing at his age and in a new Scheme but I would like to see him come back for one more season just to be a stop gap guy and take pressure off of Maybin and Batten.

Also getting Schobel (If he can bring a pass rush) helps our secondary become better and helps out our run D by having to pass blitz less. I also would like to see Lonnie Hearvy make the team as a 3rd NT just to add depth but make is so that Williams can flex out to DE once in a while.

Not overly shocking. Schobel retired, and Ellis had motivational problems coming out of college. Maybin by default.

Ellison in the middle? Better pray Poz does not get hurt. Ellison will get eaten alive.

When did that happen? I don't think he will or they would have announced it by now.

I agree with the Ellison point and also think it is possible we see Trent start the season.

What is up with Aaron Schobel? I think our D needs him to try and be an OLB in the new 3-4. Our D needs a pass rush badly and sorry but Kelsay, Batten, and Maybin don't inspire confidence at all in getting some sacks. Schobel is no sure thing at his age and in a new Scheme but I would like to see him come back for one more season just to be a stop gap guy and take pressure off of Maybin and Batten.

Also getting Schobel (If he can bring a pass rush) helps our secondary become better and helps out our run D by having to pass blitz less. I also would like to see Lonnie Hearvy make the team as a 3rd NT just to add depth but make is so that Williams can flex out to DE once in a while.

ITs very difficult to become a standup LB from a DE and have to cover guys after not doing it for 10 years. Watch and see how kelsay who wasnt a good DE struggles with LB

McKelvin is not going to unseat Florence. Florence has too much experience, and with a veteran coaching staff that needs to get out of the gates fast, they are not going to feel obligated to play the young guy just because he was a high pick.

Kirk Chambers over Jamon Meredith?

That was a mistake on Allen's part. Meredith will probably end-up being the Bills' starting LT.

The rest is no big surprise. Edwards has more starts than the other 3 combined and at this stage should be pencilled-in as the starter, but that may change. Spiller and McKelvin "starting" is semantics since you need 3 good CB "starters" these days, and the RB's will share carries. Hardy was a 2nd rounder and Johnson hasn't exactly been a stud, so Hardy gets the early nod. And Kelsay starts unless Schobel comes back.

Relying on D. Bell as your starting LT is a recipe for disaster, again. Not every hole can be filled in one off-season, but if you don't at least patch a gaping hole on the left side you are damaging the prospects of your skill position players. Having D. Bell playing behind a veteran LT and giving him periodic playing time would be the best approach to develop him. That is what the SB Saints did with their young LT Bushrod.

Although there has been a lot of mean spirited lambasting of Edwards he is going to be designated relatively early in the qb competition as the starting qb. Those early enthusiasts of Brohm are going to be silenced and fade away rather quickly when they see the HC directing him to the back of the line. What the Brohm afficionados will soon learn is that being obnoxiously loud doesn't mean that you are right. Being quietly right is better than being boisterously wrong.

If Kirk Chambers earns a roster spot this organization should be ashamed. When a player hasn't even reached the level of being mediocre and continues to make the roster then it is an indictment of the franchise. Pitiful and pathetic.

When did that happen? I don't think he will or they would have announced it by now.

Ok, technically it has not happened.

Yet.

But nothing so far has been "required".

Even these practices are optional.

Back in March, AS was scheduled to receive a $2M roster bonus. All he had to do is come to Buffalo and pass a physical.

Schobel has yet to collect the bonus.

In fact, he stated he was in no hurry to take the physical, and he was not stressing over the money.

Eek. It seems money is no longer the big motivational factor it once was.

Just wait. Once a required activity takes place, I think you will see Schobel declare his retirement.