SN: Bills Camp Countdown

I'm not saying that Cowher or even a Shany would have brought a Super Bowl to Buffalo any sooner or even at all. However, if you're a struggling franchise looking to change the losing atmosphere that permeates every aspect of your organization; the quickest way to turn things around and bring in a winning attitude is to hire highly respected, proven, leaders that have a consistent and proven track record of winninng. Cowher certainly fits that description. Gailey does not.

We can talk all about how great a coach he was in Dallas 10 years ago. We can talk all about how great he was with Thigpen 2 years ago. But the fact remains; Gailey was fired as a head coach and it took 10 years of moving around the league before he got another shot at being HC. For all of his greatness and genious that we like to pretend he has; where's his proven track record of winning? Then, to top it off he hires a completely underwhelming set of assistant coaches. And you think we're suddenly going to become a winning franchise?

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Gailey may be great. He may be the best person for this team. But, what Gailey certainly is.. is a question mark. Until he proves it on the field by winning games he's a big "if". Just like our QBs, our Offensive Line, our new defense, etc. We have alot of ifs on this team. And it all starts at the top. If Nix picked a good HC, and if that head coach can produce a winner' then we'll all be happy. Some of us, however, aren't sold on Gailey and his talk. It's not to say we don't hope for him to be great. But, its hard to have confidence in your new HC when he was unemployed last year and brought in the likes of Modkins to be his OC, not to mention a completey unproven DC to install a new defense for us.

I've been rather quiet on this team all off season out of respect for the team that I love and the fans that want to be optimistic. But, let's face it... back to the original point I was making.... a Cowher/Gailey lead team would hold a ton more promise and optimism than a Gailey/Modkins lead team. Would that promise and optimism have been justified? We'll never know, but it would have at least been there for many more fans.

FANTASTIC well thought out post. I couldn't have said it any better. I have a tendency to have a negative tone when I write my post. Often I "rub" people on the board the wrong way. IMO, you stated your viewpoint without ever getting overly negative. Wish, I could possess such a skill. By the way, I agree with "every" word on your post. It was a pleasure to read such a well written opinion.

Just win Chan just win. I don't like Chan as a hire I thought it was a good ole boys hire (As in he got the job because a lot of guys Nix knows put in a really good word for him) and we should have went with Ron Rivera and Chan as the OC. BUT if Chan can win with what we have (8-8 this year with a 3-3 record in the division and develop young guys on both sides of the ball) I will support the guy.

Simply put popular opinion is Chan is a loser BUT he has an opportunity and if he wins here (Gets us back to the playoffs and builds a team that can consistently get to the playoffs thus giving us a shot at the SB for a window of time) he will be proven to be a good coach.

Bottom line we can argue how mediocre he has been since leaving the Cowboys (Fins and KC OC and GT head coach) BUT the dude is our coach and all he has to do is win to turn this ship around.

FANTASTIC well thought out post. I couldn't have said it any better. I have a tendency to have a negative tone when I write my post. Often I "rub" people on the board the wrong way. IMO, you stated your viewpoint without ever getting overly negative. Wish, I could possess such a skill. By the way, I agree with "every" word on your post. It was a pleasure to read such a well written opinion.

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

Sometimes its hard for us all to express our opinions with civilitly. Sometimes I do better than others... sometimes not.

Just win Chan just win. I don't like Chan as a hire I thought it was a good ole boys hire (As in he got the job because a lot of guys Nix knows put in a really good word for him) and we should have went with Ron Rivera and Chan as the OC. BUT if Chan can win with what we have (8-8 this year with a 3-3 record in the division and develop young guys on both sides of the ball) I will support the guy.

Simply put popular opinion is Chan is a loser BUT he has an opportunity and if he wins here (Gets us back to the playoffs and builds a team that can consistently get to the playoffs thus giving us a shot at the SB for a window of time) he will be proven to be a good coach.

Bottom line we can argue how mediocre he has been since leaving the Cowboys (Fins and KC OC and GT head coach) BUT the dude is our coach and all he has to do is win to turn this ship around.

Well it doesn't help that he was fired at his last job... as an offensive coordinator. He would have probably jumped at the chance just to be OC again if Cowher had taken the Bills HC job.

You are 100% right tho, if he wins... then everything is golden.

THIS JUST IN:

GAILEY HASNT MADE IT AS A HC

--1998/1999 - Takes the Dallas Cowboys to a combined 18-14 despite having HOFers Aikman/Smith/Irvin on the roster. In both years the defense out performed the offence (Gaileys "specialty") in terms of NFL ranking.

-- 32002/2007 - Takes GT to a combined 37-27 record, yet never defeated GTech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

So Bills fans, let me know when a 57.3% winning percentage (just over 9 games a year), never beating the Fish/Pats, never winning the division, and never winning a playoff game is ok. So, after interviewing for the Steelers and Dolphins HC jobs - and not getting them - He is JUST RIGHT!!!! for the Bills. ;)

O, and this isnt the ACC anymore....

Yea about Dallas. Go ahead and look at the injuries the Cowboys had when he was there. And 2 of those guys were on the tale end of there careers as well.

THIS JUST IN:

--1998/1999 - Takes the Dallas Cowboys to a combined 18-14 despite having HOFers Aikman/Smith/Irvin on the roster. In both years the defense out performed the offence (Gaileys "specialty") in terms of NFL ranking.

This statement is just tiresome. You are assuming the Cowboys were a good team at the time because they often are, I guess? They were not.

Aikman/Smith/Irvin were very much past their prime at this point, but let me put it more simply:

Cowboys record 1997-2002:

1997: 6-10

- Gailey takes over as Head Coach

1998: 10-6 division win

1999: 8-8 division win

- Gailey fired as HC in what Jerry Jones has later called one of his worst mistakes

2000: 5-11

2001: 5-11

2002: 5-11

I can't imagine a more obvious evidence of success than to have this kind of difference between a team's performance with and without him as HC.

Well it doesn't help that he was fired at his last job... as an offensive coordinator. He would have probably jumped at the chance just to be OC again if Cowher had taken the Bills HC job.

And Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said - "I wanted to promote Gailey to HC, but I didn't think I could sell it to the fans."

So he hired a new young popular choice, who didn't get along with Gailey and Pioli had to let him go.

Great work by all the Bills fans out there trying to prove we're no smarter than Chiefs fans, and that Pioli's right to assume fans are too dumb to look past the national media coverage.

And Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said - "I wanted to promote Gailey to HC, but I didn't think I could sell it to the fans."

So he hired a new young popular choice, who didn't get along with Gailey and Pioli had to let him go.

Great work by all the Bills fans out there trying to prove we're no smarter than Chiefs fans, and that Pioli's right to assume fans are too dumb to look past the national media coverage.

Link? I could only find an unattributed comment by Mike Lombardi.

Cowher as HC. Gailey as OC.

vs

Gailey as HC. Modkins as OC.

hmmmmm... exactly what point were you trying to make? Are you suggesting that because a former SuperBowl winning coach would like Chan as an OC; that Chan is just as good as a HC? Well when we throw Modkins into the mix... I'm starting to see your point.. <_<

whatever.

The point is this. Whether Gailey or Cowher is the HC or whether Modkins or Gailey has the title of OC, Chan Gailey is in charge of turning the offense around. It will be his offense, his QB decision, his plays and gameplans, and his gameday playcalls. People can be upset that Cowher was not hired but either way it is likely that Chan was going to be the man in charge of the offense.

THIS JUST IN:

-- 32002/2007 - Takes GT to a combined 37-27 record, yet never defeated GTech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

So Bills fans, let me know when a 57.3% winning percentage (just over 9 games a year), never beating the Fish/Pats, never winning the division, and never winning a playoff game is ok. So, after interviewing for the Steelers and Dolphins HC jobs - and not getting them - He is JUST RIGHT!!!! for the Bills. <_<

O, and this isnt the ACC anymore....

That's a really popular bandwagon response except it ignores some very obvious realities.