NFL Free Agent scouting reports

Grading Scale

* 90-100: Elite Player

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.

* 80-89: Outstanding Player

Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.

* 70-79: Good Starter

Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

* 60-69: Average Starter

A valuable roster player but not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives great effort and teams are glad to have him, but he may or may not go to the next level.

* 50-59: Good Backup

This is a player who is really on the bubble and only starts because of a deficiency at the position. ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle, he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if he is forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season. Teams don't mind having him on the roster but are always looking to upgrade.

* 40-49: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers

Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting. If forced to, he is only a short-term fix. ... He might make the roster because of special-teams contributions or experience. ... He is the type of player teams consistently look to replace with an upgrade. ... He always will be a borderline roster player.

* 30: Developmental Player

Players with this grade have very little film to evaluate. Such players might flash potential in the preseason but don't have any regular-season performances to judge. they usually have very little experience but have to be tracked due to developmental potential.

* 20: Rookie (Post Draft)

No professional tape to evaluate. These players will have an evaluation based on their college tape, but we will not put a new grade on them until after their rookie seasons. They will carry the 20 grade throughout their first NFL season.

* 10: Evaluation in Process

Need more information

Dwan Edwards

Grade 75

Expert's Take Edwards had his most productive season of his six-year career for the Ravens' defense. He is a high-effort player who can contribute to the Ravens' multiple fronts as an interior lineman as well as defensive end. While he isn't powerful enough at the point to handle the nose, he is very resilient and battles to the whistle. He is a good athlete who fits best as an end in Baltimore's 3-4 defensive schemes. Edwards has improved his hand usage at the point of attack shedding blockers better than in previous seasons. Edwards continues to struggle as a pass-rusher and needs to continue to develop more creative moves and counters to contribute in this area. Edwards has made marked improvements over the past two seasons and has been a consistent performer for the Ravens.

Cornell Green

Grade 61

Expert's Take Green is a good sized tackle with above average initial quickness and agility. He has been pretty much a full time starter over the past three years with Oakland but has struggled to stay healthy for a full 16 game schedule. He lacks top lateral range in pass pro and will struggle when facing explosive edge rushers on the speed rush and needs to stay on the right side. He has long arms and heavy hands and can shock and stymie rushers when he manages to get a good fit. He has a lot of natural strength but needs to work on keeping his pad level down as he tends to play tall and loose leverage on blocks.

Other FAs:

George Wilson

Grade 55

Expert's Take Wilson has provided valuable depth to the Bills' safety position. He has good size, strength and power, but is only an above-average athlete. He is a better run-defender than coverage player because he doesn't have great burst or lateral agility to play man coverage. However, he does have decent range out of centerfield in run support. Wilson leverages the ball well and is a solid wrap tackler with pop and power on contact. He is decent when blitzing, but may be best filling the alley or playing zone coverage in the deep half. Wilson is also a solid special teams contributor and doesn't appear to have enough tools to develop into a starter.

Youboty

Grade 63

Expert's Take Youbouty has been a career backup for Buffalo. He's valuable in sub packages. He has good size and athleticism but lacks enough pure speed to be effective out on an island. He has great short-area quickness, lateral agility and balance to be effective in short and intermediate zone and combination man schemes. He maintains leverage well with proper angles and cushion in both man and zone schemes. Youbouty can flip his hips to turn and stay in his opponent's hip pocket. He's a solid reactor as plays unfold and appears to have a natural feel for the game.

How is George Wilson only a 55 yet Youbouty is a 63??????

:rolleyes: I like the information but either I am tired or there is no source for where these ratings or rating system comes from.

Now, if it was the authoritative bible of all ratings' systems, THE MADDEN GAME, then I would know it was totally credible.

I would have thought Wilson should rate higher too ...

Good info ... just need to know where it came from.

I thought that Wilson would be rated higher from what my eyes told me I think that Wilson would have been rated higher. Wilson doesn't make spectacular plays but he covers solid as a safety and he makes all the plays that a safety needs to. What also improves Wilson's value is his ability to both safety positions.

Also can someone pull up Andra Davis's scouting report he was a big signing. The guy was a big time player in Denver's success with the 3-4 at the beginning of last season. He is getting a bit up there in age (31 and towards the end of the season he will be 32) and he did trail off towards the end of last season (But so did the rest of the D) and he got hurt for 3 games.

But all in all I feel like Davis gives our MLB situation a proven 3-4 player and depth because Mitchel now slides in as a OLB/MLB flex backup. Last season we were far too thin on both the D-line and the LB situation. Not only did we enter last season with Keith Ellison as a starter but we didn't have a viable backup at either MLB or OLB.

So yeah what was Andra Davis's scouting report?

You are just finding this information and coming to this conclusion...almost 3 months after the fact?

They were just posted on ESPNs NFL front page. ESPN did scouting reports on every FA this year, but we will have to wait for them to release reports on every other player.

They were just posted on ESPNs NFL front page. ESPN did scouting reports on every FA this year, but we will have to wait for them to release reports on every other player.

Thanks for the source ... and thanks for the post!

It was a good one and it is good to see some positive thoughts about the Bills and our players! I still think Wilson should be ranked higher ...

How is George Wilson only a 55 yet Youbouty is a 63??????

Probably because the ONLY place that Wilson is regarded as a solid starter and a better safety than Donte Whitner is right here on these boards.

Wilson is an excellent backup who is capable of making plays as a starter as well, I am surprised he didn't score in the low 60's.

Also can someone pull up Andra Davis's scouting report he was a big signing. The guy was a big time player in Denver's success with the 3-4 at the beginning of last season. He is getting a bit up there in age (31 and towards the end of the season he will be 32) and he did trail off towards the end of last season (But so did the rest of the D) and he got hurt for 3 games.

But all in all I feel like Davis gives our MLB situation a proven 3-4 player and depth because Mitchel now slides in as a OLB/MLB flex backup. Last season we were far too thin on both the D-line and the LB situation. Not only did we enter last season with Keith Ellison as a starter but we didn't have a viable backup at either MLB or OLB.

So yeah what was Andra Davis's scouting report?

Andra Davis 6'1" 250 lbs.

Grade: 62 | Key

Comment: Davis is a high-character, competitive player who brings excellent leadership. He is smart player who gets his teammates aligned and is quick to read the play, but his body often doesn't react and respond as quickly as his mind. He is a fearless player and never hesitates to insert versus the run or lay into a receiver coming across the middle. However, Davis isn't agile, quick or fast enough to make enough impact plays and upper-tier, pass-catching running backs and tight ends are more than he can handle. He also has marginal size when taking on centers or guards in the run game and can be engulfed. He is too slow to shed and has average overall take-on power, especially as the game goes on because he is an older player with stamina concerns.

Andra Davis 6'1" 250 lbs.

Grade: 62 | Key

Comment: Davis is a high-character, competitive player who brings excellent leadership. He is smart player who gets his teammates aligned and is quick to read the play, but his body often doesn't react and respond as quickly as his mind. He is a fearless player and never hesitates to insert versus the run or lay into a receiver coming across the middle. However, Davis isn't agile, quick or fast enough to make enough impact plays and upper-tier, pass-catching running backs and tight ends are more than he can handle. He also has marginal size when taking on centers or guards in the run game and can be engulfed. He is too slow to shed and has average overall take-on power, especially as the game goes on because he is an older player with stamina concerns.

Sounds about right on from what I have heard about Davis, he is a leader on D and a solid guy on the run But he comes with limitations on coverage and concerns about wither he can last a whole season.

6'1 250 is marginal size for a linebacker? What the hell does that say about the lilliput backers on the Bills roster last year?

Its not small the Jets Bart Scott and David Harris are taller and 240/245 pounds and no one ever points to them being too small for a 3-4. Ray Lewis 6 foot 1 250 pounds, DeMeco Ryans 6 foot 1 250, Karlos Dansby 6 foot 4 250 pounds, and Jerod Mayo 6 foot 1 242 pounds.

So to compare Davis and Poz's size to most 3-4 and 4-3 MLB's they have pretty good size Davis seems to be on the heavier side for a MLB (Especially considering his height) and Poz seems to have OK weight for a MLB.

Sounds about right on from what I have heard about Davis, he is a leader on D and a solid guy on the run But he comes with limitations on coverage and concerns about wither he can last a whole season.

This Is why we drafted Moats. Davis is here to teach us the 3-4 and to school Moats in particular.

This Is why we drafted Moats. Davis is here to teach us the 3-4 and to school Moats in particular.

i thought george edwards is here to teach the 3-4...

jk i agree with you and i'm glad it appears nix and co. know what they're doing

Its not small the Jets Bart Scott and David Harris are taller and 240/245 pounds and no one ever points to them being too small for a 3-4. Ray Lewis 6 foot 1 250 pounds, DeMeco Ryans 6 foot 1 250, Karlos Dansby 6 foot 4 250 pounds, and Jerod Mayo 6 foot 1 242 pounds.

So to compare Davis and Poz's size to most 3-4 and 4-3 MLB's they have pretty good size Davis seems to be on the heavier side for a MLB (Especially considering his height) and Poz seems to have OK weight for a MLB.

Look at the weight programs, the skill level and the teams that these guys play for. If height and weight were the only measurables, then we may have pro bowl linebackers.

Look at the weight programs, the skill level and the teams that these guys play for. If height and weight were the only measurables, then we may have pro bowl linebackers.

The scouting report on Davis said he had marginal size at 6 foot 1 250 pounds my point was that he had good size and I backed that up by comparing him to other really good MLB's in the NFL. My point was that our LB's have the size if they can't preform in a 3-4 it won't be due to size.