The definition of insanity

The definition of insanity is doing the same wrong thing over and over and expecting different/better results.

How many times have you heard or read that? My guess is a lot.

When you look up insanity in a dictionary you find:

in·san·i·ty   /ɪnˈsænɪti/ Show Spelled[in-san-i-tee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -ties.

1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.

2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.

3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.

4. extreme folly; senselessness; foolhardiness

So the people who constantly say "The defintion of insanity is doing....." are not correct.

Oddly, this makes them insane by their own incorrect definition. So shouldn't they realize they are insane? Or are they just stupid? Even if they are stupid, they should still think they are insane once they are shown their error.

If they don't think they are insane even though they meet their own definition of insanity, doesn't this mean their mind is deranged or that they have engaged in extreme folly or are foolhardy, which of course makes them insane by the real definition?

The definition of insanity is doing the same wrong thing over and over and expecting different/better results.

So the people who constantly say "The defintion of insanity is doing....." are not correct.

Oddly, this makes them insane by their own incorrect definition. So shouldn't they realize they are insane? Or are they just stupid? Even if they are stupid, they should still think they are insane once they are shown their error.

If they don't think they are insane even though they meet their own definition of insanity, doesn't this mean their mind is deranged or that they have engaged in extreme folly or are foolhardy, which of course makes them insane by the real definition?

Wow, for an insane crazy guy you almost sound normal :angry: .....

NOT. :P

in·san·i·ty   /ɪnˈsænɪti/ Show Spelled[in-san-i-tee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -ties.

1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.

2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.

3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.

4. extreme folly; senselessness; foolhardiness

5. the act of eating crayons

What does this have to do with Trent?

What does this have to do with Trent?

Not much really. It has to do with people that use that phrase all the time. It appears that they are insane one way or the other. Trent doesn't say this phrase. His Stanford educated version would be more along the lines of:

The definition of insanity is definitely doing the obviously same wrong thing over and over and obviously expecting different/better results definitely.

I haven't heard this one from him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Not much really. It has to do with people that use that phrase all the time. It appears that they are insane one way or the other. Trent doesn't say this phrase. His Stanford educated version would be more along the lines of:

The definition of insanity is definitely doing the obviously same wrong thing over and over and obviously expecting different/better results definitely.

I haven't heard this one from him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for stating the obvious, definitely.

Actually, a psychologist friend told me that this was more a definition of neurotic.

Actually, a psychologist friend told me that this was more a definition of neurotic.

Does he seem real focused on this? As in, he keeps saying it over and over to himself? Does he let it consume his every thought?

Insanity is every year signing on for another year of the Bills. So yes it is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We are all !@#$ing insane. :thumbsup:

Well by the very act of saying that, you are definitely insane. It isn't clear by which defninition, but by one of them you are.