What young guys have to develop for the year to be a success

OK next season we are going to be giving a lot of young guys on offense a chance and some on defense a chance too. OK I think that on defense I think that Troup and Carrington need to prove capable of being fixtures on the D-line. McKelvin also needs to be a number one corner.

As far as offense goes I would like to see Meridith, Nelson, and Johnson (As at least a number 3 WR) to step up. We need an answer at tight end and Nelson needs to be a threat at tightend. Our O-line has a lot of young tackles and as a RT I think Meridith needs to step up and be a capable RT going forward. And at WR we need to find a capable slot guy in Johnson.

Now we have a lot of hole on the offensive side of the ball. And in keeping with my realistic expectations for the season I know that our QB situation might not get solved nor will our LT or #2 WR get solved. However if we can get a serious passing weapon at TE and a capable slot guy out of Johnson it would go a long way to shaping our passing attack. All in all our O-line is a mess but if Meridith can be a solid RT it would go a long way to shaping our O-line.

All in all what young players would have to step up in order for you to call the season a success in terms of player development.

These players need to step up for the team do make the playoffs next year:

Hardy/Johnson as #2 WR - only in the sense that one of them needs to take the job in training camp and hold on to it (not get hurt or benched) for the season.

Spiller as our Harvin - just needs to do what we expect him to do

Bell/Meredith as LT - same as Hardy/Johnson and will need to be above average as a player

Edwards/Fitz, Brohm, Brown as QB - one of them to emerge as a starter and stay that way all year while putting up 3500 yards

Troup/Carrington (along with Stroud/Edwards) as DL - they need to stop the run consistantly

Poz as WILB - needs to continue development and make plays (INTs, TFLs, PBUs)

Maybin as OLB - needs to rush the passer and get at least 8 sacks

That's the thing. This team has soooo many question marks. That's why this team is ranked 31st going into the season. They have a lot of talent. But none of these guys have proven anything yet. We have no QB, luckily Chan has had success with nobodys. RB we have too much talent. WR you got Evans. Everyone is gonna triple cover him. No other WR has proven a thing yet. TE is another position no one has proven they can be a go to guy yet. The line is a Big ? All the injuries and No legit LT or RT for that matter. I don't care what you say, NO LINE, NO OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION!!!

So I hope all the RB talent will make something happen, but, come on. I think we're joking ourselves if no one steps up. I hope this Coaching staff can make it happen. I want the offense to be successful, but so much work that needs to be done and alot of personal that have to step up.

Defense is another thing. We're switching from 4-3 to 3-4. How much success have other DE had playing OLB??? I'd love to see that list. I honestly can't think of any. But I hope ours can make that transition. Everyone except the secondary is basically playing a new position. This makes the Front seven suspect until they prove otherwise on the field.

We got lots of potential. But this team hasn't proven its going anywhere yet. They got mucho to prove. Hope the players step up and make things happen. Sick of seeing us lose year in and year out. I want the team to win and hopefully 2010 will be the year to make the change to the right direction.

Wasn't Elvis Drummerviel the leading sacker in the league last year? That was his first year of the switch and I think he's only 6 feet tall!

I didn't say they wouldn't do it, I said I don't think they'll do it before training camp starts so they can look at the young guys during OTAs and evaluate them. If you're bringing in a stop-gap veteran, he's played in the league a bit and the value of OTAs is less to him than rookies.

If it looks like going with young guys has disaster written all over it, then I think they bring someone in. The fact that it hasn't been done yet is of little or no bearing IMO.

Nicely expressed. Like yourself and some others here, I've felt this way since the draft.

The Bills are taking a wait and see attitude towards the tackle situation.

If it doesn't look good at OT (specifically LOT) during the course of June and July, the Bills will make a move before training camp.

Nicely expressed. Like yourself and some others here, I've felt this way since the draft.

The Bills are taking a wait and see attitude towards the tackle situation.

If it doesn't look good at OT (specifically LOT) during the course of June and July, the Bills will make a move before training camp.

If Jamal Brown is healthy I see the Bills making a deal with New Orleans. They have some depth at OT and they drafted LT Charles Brown from USC in the second round. I don't believe the Bills will make a deal with Baltimore for Gaither because of his contract situation and his reputation for lassitude. Jamal Brown also has some upcoming contract issues but because of his recent inability to play because of injuries his cost should be more reasonable.

If the Bills don't bring in some OT help from the outside then the cycle of wait for next year starts very early for the offense. In my view upgrading a weakness (OT) even if it is not a long term solution is better than relying on wishful thinking. The Jauron regime miscalculated on this critical position last year and it turned into a fiasco.

This is what I think about the offense;

The Bills are changing from an offense that played not to lose to an offense that wants to win. The players have already said they are intrigued by Gailey's playbook.

The Bills are making a major change to a 3-4 and that is a huge question mark. However, I also think they are going from a read and react system to an attacking defense. Every player I can remember interviewed about the difference has said they prefer an attacking D. The new D coordinator has one of the best secondaries in the league to work with. If the Bills can force a lot of 4th and 6 type situations the D should come up big.

Out of the four headed QB monster the Bills have to have one guy step up and be in the top 15 of QB's. Edwards has a lot more to give and he's with an OC/HC who knows how to use QB's to the best of their ability. (IMO, Fair chance of happening)

At RB Lynch has to keep his mouth shut, behave well and work as hard as he said he will in a recent interview. Fred Jackson needs to maintain if not improve his level of play. CJ Spiller has to turn out as advertised. (Very good chance of happening)

The WR corps is either great or very week. There isn't a lot known about these guys right now. If Gailey can get Evans the ball look for a lot more success than last year. (the reason I say that is if the ball is getting to Evans consistently it probably means they are stretching the field and with the Bills RB's a D that's playing off the line can only help)

James Hardy, he could be a great player, good player, bust player. Which one he becomes will greatly influence the teams success. There is so little film on him to work with it's baffling.

Lee Evans, needs a QB and OC who can get him the ball consistently. There is no question about his ability. (I'd say a better than average chance of happening.)

Roscoe Parrish, needs to maintain a high level of PR. We'll also probably find out if he's any good out of the slot. I think Gailey will at least give him a chance. If he can do half of what Wes Welker does it would be a very good thing for the offense. I really don't think RP has ever been given a good chance to do that. (I'm of the mind that he probably won't do well as a slot player.)

Chris Johnson, has to push really hard to get the #2 spot and motivate Hardy to do better too. Everything about Johnson so far has been positive. The question is if he's an above average #2 receiver. Somebody has to come out as a legitimate #2 receiver. (I'd give that a better than average chance.)

Chad Jackson, has to find the ability to maximize the potential he had coming out of college, of course he may already have maxed out. (I'm giving slim odds to him being anymore than a fourth or 5th receiver. He could even be cut.)

Marcus Easley has to be a solid receiver this year. He has only scratched the surface of his talent. If he can adjust to the NFL and keep improving then he may eventually become a top 10 receiver. (His inexperience is the worst thing going for him. Hopefully he can become a solid #3 receiver this year. Too many questions for me to evaluate)

Out of Naaman Roosevelt, David Nelson and Donald Jones a solid player has to emerge. (Good chance of happening.)

The offensive line has so many questions it's difficult to evaluate. I think the reason Gailey wants to change to a zone blocking scheme is because he knows it's the best fit for his players. A LOT depends on how the guys take to the new system.

If Wood comes back just as strong and just as good as last year then that's one line position with a solid player. The same can be said of Levitre.

DB, (not Deerball) has been a victim of injuries and poor coaching. If the zone blocking scheme works for Bell and the new trainers can keep him healthy he should be solid. Not great but solid.

Hangartner has to be a much better C this year than he was last year. If Wood is completely healthy the team would probably be better off putting Wood at C and moving Hangartner to G. It wouldn't surprise me if Gailey keeps Hangartner at C. With a whole new blocking scheme going Gailey will probably want the most experienced player making the calls.

Cornell Green has to be a legitimate starter. Hopefully one of the young guys will beat him for the spot.

Jamon Meredith was pegged as a third rounder in the 2009 draft but he went in the fifth round to GB. The guy has talent there's no question about that. The question is, can he translate it to the NFL? If he was sitting on the PS because GB thought they could bring him along then he could surprise this year.

At least two solid players and backups need to be found among the rest of the guys.

Derek Schouman is a good blocking TE and fair receiver, Shawn Nelson is a better receiver but not as good blocking. I think Nelson will show improvement in his blocking this year. For once in a long time I think the Bills have a good TE corp.

I think the biggest factor for the year is how the O-Line takes to the zone blocking scheme. If they can run it at an average level look for big things from Buffalo's offense this year.

What I think on defense;

The new DC, George Edwards, has some good stuff to work with. If McKelvin returns completely healthy then this DB corp should end up in the top five of the league. If the Bills can consistently shut down the run look for a possible playoff berth.

The starters are all solid or great and the best part about the DB unit is the depth it has.

With two LB coaches (inside and outside) the teaching can be more focused for each player. If these guys are average to above average coaches then the LB corps should be very good.

Aaron Maybin, he's coming into his second year and was known to be a project when Buffalo took him last year. Is he a bust as a LB or a boon? If this outside LB coach can mold him and tap his talents he could be a force ala Cornelius Bennett. He has the tools Bennett had and in fact seems to be in better condition than I remember Bennett being. (That's not a knock on Bennett.) Does he have Biscuits talent? If Maybin can play like Cornelius Bennett the D will get a huge jolt.

Chris Ellis and John McCargo, I'm putting dollars to donuts that both of these guys are looking for work in August. It is possible, however improbable, that one of these guys may really take to the new system and find their talents.

Marcus Stroud and Dwan Edwards have to be effective DE's in a 3-4. The biggest question about the defense though is this. Can Kyle Williams and Torrell Troup handle the NT job at least at an average level? If they can't that's a huge problem for the D.

Special Teams should be solid. Dehaven was a great ST coach in his stint here last time. I do think there will be a noticeable dropoff from what April could do.

I'm thinking that new conditioning coaches are getting more out of the players than the former S&C coach. This (knock wood) should decrease the number of injuries each year.

It seems that Gailey and his staff expect a lot from the players and that is as it should be. It already seems like Chansaw has gotten the players to buy into his way of doing things and that's a big part of the battle.

If half of the offensive and defensive questions are answered positively I think the team could make the playoffs.

The must improve players are: Any one of the three QB's. Hardy, Maybin, Chad Jackson, Jamon Meredith and Cornell Green.

Young players to step up?

I think if Spiller can come in and instantly add the explosion the offense is looking for, we will be well off.

Shawn Nelson at TE should start to contribute more in the passing game.

#2 pick Hardy needs to prove himself worthy of his draft status this season.

I agree that Troupe has an excellent opportunity this season to win a major job- but I don't think that his rookie season is going to be his make-or-break year. He will have some time.

What I think on defense;

Aaron Maybin, he's coming into his second year and was known to be a project when Buffalo took him last year. Is he a bust as a LB or a boon? If this outside LB coach can mold him and tap his talents he could be a force ala Cornelius Bennett. He has the tools Bennett had and in fact seems to be in better condition than I remember Bennett being. (That's not a knock on Bennett.) Does he have Biscuits talent? If Maybin can play like Cornelius Bennett the D will get a huge jolt.

The majority of your two posts are reasonable. The comparison between Maybin and Bennett are off the mark. Cornelius Bennett not only possessed speed but he was also a thumper. Maybin will never have that ability because he is just too lean to be a knock back type of tackler. Another attribute that Bennett has that Maybin doesn't is that he is a more instinctive player. He is much better at diagnosing plays and reacting whereas Maybin has a tendency to be late to a play because of his inability to quickly diagnose the play.

The acquisition of Cornelious Bennett in a mega deal is a tribute to Bill Polian and his exceptional ability to build a championship caliber team. The franchise has never been the same since the goofy owner dispatched him.

If half of the offensive and defensive questions are answered positively I think the team could make the playoffs.

Even with substantial improvement the Bills are the worst team in a four team division because they are starting so far behind. Don't get ahead of yourself. It is going to take more time to be a contending team than you are indicating. At least moving forward is better than moving backward or being stuck in the mud.

OK next season we are going to be giving a lot of young guys on offense a chance and some on defense a chance too. OK I think that on defense I think that Troup and Carrington need to prove capable of being fixtures on the D-line. McKelvin also needs to be a number one corner.

As far as offense goes I would like to see Meridith, Nelson, and Johnson (As at least a number 3 WR) to step up. We need an answer at tight end and Nelson needs to be a threat at tightend. Our O-line has a lot of young tackles and as a RT I think Meridith needs to step up and be a capable RT going forward. And at WR we need to find a capable slot guy in Johnson.

Now we have a lot of hole on the offensive side of the ball. And in keeping with my realistic expectations for the season I know that our QB situation might not get solved nor will our LT or #2 WR get solved. However if we can get a serious passing weapon at TE and a capable slot guy out of Johnson it would go a long way to shaping our passing attack. All in all our O-line is a mess but if Meridith can be a solid RT it would go a long way to shaping our O-line.

All in all what young players would have to step up in order for you to call the season a success in terms of player development.

I think if all five of the players you mention develop the Bills will be in great shape.

I actually think the two most key young players are Bell at LT and Troupe at NT. If these two step and play solid football it will really help the rebuilding timetable.

I expect that Wood, Levitre, Bryd and Nelson from last years draft will get better. I hope to see Maybin come along and produce at LB but I listed Troupe first because NT is most important to the 3-4 defense.

I am skeptical on Hardy and Johnson at WR. We could use a surprise from one of them.

The majority of your two posts are reasonable. The comparison between Maybin and Bennett are off the mark. Cornelius Bennett not only possessed speed but he was also a thumper. Maybin will never have that ability because he is just too lean to be a knock back type of tackler. Another attribute that Bennett has that Maybin doesn't is that he is a more instinctive player. He is much better at diagnosing plays and reacting whereas Maybin has a tendency to be late to a play because of his inability to quickly diagnose the play.

The acquisition of Cornelious Bennett in a mega deal is a tribute to Bill Polian and his exceptional ability to build a championship caliber team. The franchise has never been the same since the goofy owner dispatched him.

Even with substantial improvement the Bills are the worst team in a four team division because they are starting so far behind. Don't get ahead of yourself. It is going to take more time to be a contending team than you are indicating. At least moving forward is better than moving backward or being stuck in the mud.

Bennett is 6'3" and played at approx. 240. Maybin is 6'4" and is 250. I stand by my statement about the tools. You must have missed the part where I asked;

Does he have Biscuits talent?

Bennett had great football instincts. We have yet to see if Maybin has anything even close to them.

IMO, for this year to be a success, Troup, Carrington, and Easley have to show enough to suggest they will adequately fill their intended roles in the next 1-2 seasons, Spiller will have to show that he has the playmaking abilities that he was drafted #9 overall for, and enough other guys need to step up at whatever position so that going in to next year's draft and free agency we do not have more than 3-4 MUST positions of need to fill. Oddly enough, outright failures that we can turn the page on would also be helpful. This, to me, would be a success regardless of W-L record.