Bills in Niagara Falls?

I respectfully disagree on that point tin man.

Talk about the glass half empty.

I've been to dozens of Bills games. For the most part, the weather has ranged anywhere from fantastic to chilly, but tolerable if dressed properly. More often than not, the conditions have been ideal. If it's 45 degrees, I don't mind a bit, as long as I'm dressed accordingly.

Not long ago, I posted stats detailing game conditions (as best as I could find) for all home games throughout the 2000s. The idea that Buffalo homes games are frequently played "on the frozen tundra" is bull. Certainly, there are some cold blustery days - I don't deny it. But it's hardly the norm. Maybe 1+ games a season are crappy in The Ralph. Some seasons it's worse than others. I think 2008 was sort of a crappy year weather-wise.

I imagine you worry about rusting out there. Just don't let some kid put a wet tongue on you in January or you'll have to drag him home to Mr. Beeper.

Their lack of invitations to games past Dec. may have something to do with that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a long time coming that New York State actually use some of the tax money on city's like Buffalo. They keep wasting money on New York City and its surrounding areas. Buffalonian's should be outraged that a major portion of their taxes go to support the antics of NYC. They owe Buffalo a stadium.

+1 the end, game over.

Nothing against anyone in Canada and Niagara Falls, but in case you haven't been downtown in the last 30 years, Buffalo is a ghost town, how can anywhere else need the team's stadium more than Buffalo? You're telling me that Canadians that come across the border to see games couldn't find their way to the frickin peace bridge? In case anyone needs a geography lesson, we have this bridge that allows Canadians to drive right into downtown Buffalo, and BUY stuff, stay in Hotels, attend theatrical events at Shea's, eat at some of the best restaurants in the United States, and..... get this....HELP REVITALIZE the city's downtown area.

I look at it this way - This is Buffalo's resource, and the city of Buffalo right now doesn't have many left. Maybe that's why people don't see any move that puts the team in any other area or city other than Buffalo as a good one.

The amount of money the metro NYC area steals from the rest of the state is truly appalling. This city ranked as the 8th largest city in the US at one time, and now we're not even on the top 50.... sickening. GOD i missing living in Buffalo....

Lets see...

AFC North (4/4)

Baltimore - Baltimore

Cincy - Cincy

Cleveland - Cleveland

Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh

AFC South (4/4)

Houston - Houston

Indy - Indy

Jacksonville - Jacksonville

Tennessee - Nashville

AFC East (1/4)

Buffalo - Orchard Park

Miami - Miami Gardens

New England* - Foxboro

New York - East Rutherford, NJ

AFC West (4/4)

Denver - Denver

Kansas City - Kansas City

Oakland - Oakland

San Diego - San Diego

NFC North (4/4)

Chicago - Chicago

Detroit - Detroit

Green Bay - Green Bay

Minnesota - Minneapolis

NFC South (4/4)

Atlanta - Atlanta

Carolina - Charlotte

New Orleans - New Orleans

Tampa Bay - Tampa**

NFC East (1/4)

Dallas - Irving

New York - East Rutherford, NJ

Philadelphia - Philadelphia

Washington - Landover, MD

NFC West (4/4)

Arizona - Glendale

San Francisco - San Francisco

Seattle - Seattle

St. Louis - St. Louis

I used the stadium address to determine where they play.

26 out of 32 play in their city/area. By area, I mean teams like New England*, Minnesota, and Arizona.

**The arguement could be made that Tampa Bay does not play in Tampa Bay, but actually Tampa as that is their mailing address.

Interesting that both East conferences are the ones with the most teams not playing in their "home" city.

Tampa bay is a region just like new england and carolina. Tampa is a city in the region.

I think there are pro's & con's for a stadium either in NF or Buffalo. I think a stadium in NF will help attract more fans and money from Canada. The negative, the Buffalo/Erie County area (businesses) would lose money with not having the Bills located in Erie County. During home games, hotels, restaurants, bars and even locals that used their lawn for parking for lose out. IMO, I'd rather see a dome stadium in downtown Buffalo. With having a new, domed facility, the Buffalo could be in contention for hosting the Superbowl, which would bring more money to Buffalo. I like in Philly that all of Philly's sports teams facilities are located are near each other, I think that would be great to have the Bills, Bisons & Sabres all close to each other.

I believe if anyone read the column in which Jim Kelly made that statement, he was reffering to the "AMERICAN" side of Niagara Falls, wich has plenty of land to build. I dont know where moveing to canada was ever mentioned to in that column.

+1 the end, game over.

Nothing against anyone in Canada and Niagara Falls, but in case you haven't been downtown in the last 30 years, Buffalo is a ghost town, how can anywhere else need the team's stadium more than Buffalo?

Build a stadium in downtown Buffalo and you have a ghost town with a stadium. All you have to do is look at RWS and HSBC to see that stadiums and arena don't generate anything on their own. You have to have something going on to create some synergy with a stadium or arena. If they had built HSBC at Chippawa and Genessee like it was first proposed you would see tremendous growth from the bars and restaurants in that area. Instead the geniuses (Larry Quinn being one of them) thought building HSBC at the deserted end of Main St was the way to go. Years later the area is still deserted, though I suppose Bass Pro could show up any day now :blush:.

PTR

Build a stadium in downtown Buffalo and you have a ghost town with a stadium. All you have to do is look at RWS and HSBC to see that stadiums and arena don't generate anything on their own. You have to have something going on to create some synergy with a stadium or arena. If they had built HSBC at Chippawa and Genessee like it was first proposed you would see tremendous growth from the bars and restaurants in that area. Instead the geniuses (Larry Quinn being one of them) thought building HSBC at the deserted end of Main St was the way to go. Years later the area is still deserted, though I suppose Bass Pro could show up any day now :worthy:.

PTR

Wow, I almost forgot about that(Bass Pro Shop). I remember reading about that along with a new hotel and shopping area near the waterfront. While I do agree completely with your point about an empty stadium downtown for the majority of the year, but just think of how cool it would be for all those high school championships that could be played there, or attending a major concert event downtown, then hitting the nightlife scene afterward

The stadium downtown actually makes a lot of sense... theres plenty of room and lands that really couldnt be used for much else. Detroit I believe did about the same thing. Having their stadium, baseball park, and arena within walking distance is really quite cool... other than in buffalo you'd have to figure out how to park and get people in/out of the city when there are 2/3 events per day. It takes long enough to get out for the ~20k person hockey games, could you imagine trying to get out of the parking garages for 80k+?

I think its a long time coming that New York State actually use some of the tax money on city's like Buffalo. They keep wasting money on New York City and its surrounding areas. Buffalonian's should be outraged that a major portion of their taxes go to support the antics of NYC. They owe Buffalo a stadium.

Agree-All of Western NY should be outraged over the fleecing NY taxes and politics give them

The stadium downtown actually makes a lot of sense... theres plenty of room and lands that really couldnt be used for much else. Detroit I believe did about the same thing. Having their stadium, baseball park, and arena within walking distance is really quite cool... other than in buffalo you'd have to figure out how to park and get people in/out of the city when there are 2/3 events per day. It takes long enough to get out for the ~20k person hockey games, could you imagine trying to get out of the parking garages for 80k+?

it takes me way longer to get past stop n go traffic leaving the ralph than it does a sabres game. also leaving the sabres game i have the option of taking the train. that might not be as practical for a bills game since i'd either have to totally revamp what i bring for tailgating, or i guess tailgate off site (like in a park n ride lot) and leave a car there.

i think if there a stadium is built downtown, there'd be ample parking/tailgate space developed since those responsible would realize tailgating is a hallmark of the game-day experience. but then again, maybe not since there's been so many boners over the years (UB, the 33, the train, the waterfront, etc.).