This team is going to be better than most think

Great players certainly make average coaches look better. See: Exhibit A

And another point of view on great coaches who can take a given set of players and beat anybody:

Bum Philips:

(referring to Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care about win-loss records.

I don't think that they will be good enough to make the playoffs this year, BUT...

...what I hope and what I believe that we will see is a unit that is starting to show signs of improving. I believe we will start to see signs of talent at more positions across the field, improved depth, less injuries, and smarter coaching. These things, on their own, are enough to warrant an improved record.

For example: knowing that we don't yet have that game-breaking TE, #2 WR, or QB we will be focusing on a dominant run game. From a RB perspective, we are well on our way to having a tough backfield. Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, and the Div II rushing leader for the past 2 years Bell sound pretty impressive, not to mention the back we also signed off of Indy. Besides, alot of people on this board were clamoring for Cowher or Schottenheimer to be the coach. Parcells has been quoted as calling Buffalo the "ideal" place for football, and former GM on the NFL network Lombardi all agree that a ground-and-pound approach is best for the cold weather elements in WNY. Teams will take a pounding from Lynch, Jackson, and Bell, then get scorched by Spiller. Defenses will be so worn out and stacking the line to contain the run game, Trent or whomever wins the job will finally be able to unload down the field. I think we'll resemble the Chiefs when Gailey was the OC there....

Now if only we could fill that LT position...I'd feel ALOT better!

We drafted Ed Wang. He's going to be the next LT of the Buffalo Bills. He'll do better than Gaither, another fifth-rounder for whom the Bills will not trade.

Get over it. Move on. Enjoy and root for the home team. Enough.

"Uncle Remus" - Frank Zappa

We drafted Ed Wang. He's going to be the next LT of the Buffalo Bills. He'll do better than Gaither, another fifth-rounder for whom the Bills will not trade.

Get over it. Move on. Enjoy and root for the home team. Enough.

To quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"

Wang is a project player, as was Bell going into 2009. You can hope and pray that these types of players were missed by teams repeatedly and Buffalo struck gold. Depending on these types of players is tantamount to absurdity.

It's just strange that so many fans have forgotten what transpired last season when the team hoped project players and rookies would make the difference.

To quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"

Wang is a project player, as was Bell going into 2009. You can hope and pray that these types of players were missed by teams repeatedly and Buffalo struck gold. Depending on these types of players is tantamount to absurdity.

It's just strange that so many fans have forgotten what transpired last season when the team hoped project players and rookies would make the difference.

A reasonable response. My return volley is even simpler.

Your solution would be.................................(you can fill in the blank when you're ready)............................................................

Bitching's easy. Solving problems...ugh, that part sucks.

"My Baby's Got a Secret" - Madonna

I don't really care about win-loss records.

I don't think that they will be good enough to make the playoffs this year, BUT...

...what I hope and what I believe that we will see is a unit that is starting to show signs of improving. I believe we will start to see signs of talent at more positions across the field, improved depth, less injuries, and smarter coaching. These things, on their own, are enough to warrant an improved record.

For example: knowing that we don't yet have that game-breaking TE, #2 WR, or QB we will be focusing on a dominant run game. From a RB perspective, we are well on our way to having a tough backfield. Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, and the Div II rushing leader for the past 2 years Bell sound pretty impressive, not to mention the back we also signed off of Indy. Besides, alot of people on this board were clamoring for Cowher or Schottenheimer to be the coach. Parcells has been quoted as calling Buffalo the "ideal" place for football, and former GM on the NFL network Lombardi all agree that a ground-and-pound approach is best for the cold weather elements in WNY. Teams will take a pounding from Lynch, Jackson, and Bell, then get scorched by Spiller. Defenses will be so worn out and stacking the line to contain the run game, Trent or whomever wins the job will finally be able to unload down the field. I think we'll resemble the Chiefs when Gailey was the OC there....

I don't agree with your analogy of the running and passing game. I believe teams will stack the line 7-8 guys in the box and stop our running game. Our running game will not be able to withstand this attack due to a weak offensive line. Thus, teams will dare us to beat then in the passing game. I don't see that happening either. Just my two cents. Not trying to be negative and hoping the Bills have a game plan/solution for this.

I don't agree with your analogy of the running and passing game. I believe teams will stack the line 7-8 guys in the box and stop our running game. Our running game will not be able to withstand this attack due to a weak offensive line. Thus, teams will dare us to beat then in the passing game. I don't see that happening either. Just my two cents. Not trying to be negative and hoping the Bills have a game plan/solution for this.

Maybe they're thinking of using speed to get to the outside in the event that the average NFL defense has slow athletes.

A reasonable response. My return volley is even simpler.

Your solution would be.................................(you can fill in the blank when you're ready)............................................................

Bitching's easy. Solving problems...ugh, that part sucks.

"My Baby's Got a Secret" - Madonna

Solutions? Well, how about drafting an OL with their first pick, specifically a guy like Anthony Davis or Bulaga? It remains a huge need, but the front office has pooh-poohed the need for another OT despite having no one on the roster that isn't A) nearing the end or B) unproven

You want solutions. And now, you'll tell me CJ was the BPA and will make the OL better, produce game changing plays, and excite people. Right, except CJ's OL is among the worst in the NFL.

People don't get it here: We complain about the Bills because there are legitimate issues across the board with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Sugar coating, drinking the kool-aid, hoping, et al. are solutions. They're a way to avoid reality.

Solutions? Well, how about drafting an OL with their first pick, specifically a guy like Anthony Davis or Bulaga? It remains a huge need, but the front office has pooh-poohed the need for another OT despite having no one on the roster that isn't A) nearing the end or B) unproven

You want solutions. And now, you'll tell me CJ was the BPA and will make the OL better, produce game changing plays, and excite people. Right, except CJ's OL is among the worst in the NFL.

People don't get it here: We complain about the Bills because there are legitimate issues across the board with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Sugar coating, drinking the kool-aid, hoping, et al. are solutions. They're a way to avoid reality.

These back and forth debates are really pointless. On one side you have folks screaming "apples!" On the other side they're hollering "oranges!"

Neither side is going to convince the other. Some folks prefer to take an optimistic view, some prefer the "realism" angle. It would be nice if both sides can just ease up a bit and quit trying to force their perspective down the others' throats.

These back and forth debates are really pointless. On one side you have folks screaming "apples!" On the other side they're hollering "oranges!"

Neither side is going to convince the other. Some folks prefer to take an optimistic view, some prefer the "realism" angle. It would be nice if both sides can just ease up a bit and quit trying to force their perspective down the others' throats.

I agree. How about we all wait & see what happens. After all, from where I sit, that's pretty much what all of us "experts" are gonna do.

Thanks for making my point. Screaming about what the Bills shoulda/woulda/coulda done in the draft is....ah....Jesus.....just so goddamn pointless. Bulaga. Smith. Jones. Harry Balls.

News flash. The Bills drafted what the Bills drafted. I personally think it was not a BAD draft. Was it the best? Won't know for two or three years. Was it a good draft? Won't know for two or three years. My personal inclination is to look at the glass half-full. Many people on this board prefer to look at the glass as...well, shattered on the floor at their feet from their latest tantrum. If that's the mindset...frankly, I can't be bothered.

If I want pain and suffering and whining, I have a job, and have co-workers that can provide that level of entertainment for 10 hours a day.

"Hideaway" - Leon Russell

:censored::(

I agree, but you're talking to a lot of negative nancy's out there. These are the same people that would complain even if the Bills won a superbowl: "Yeah the Bills won the superbowl, but..."

negative nancy? where have i heard that before...hmmmm

I'm not so sure it's about how many games Gailey and George "Superman" Edwards will add to the win column as much as it is about how many Jauron and his staff LOST for the team. Subtract at least (3) wins because of their poor teaching, game planning and game management.

A halfway competent staff, (yes, Gailey and Edwards) gains +3 just by being competent vs. previous years. Of course this is considering all else being equal, e.g. strength of schedule, etc, which are in fact not equal.

You're right. Why even follow them this year, let alone watch the games. Just check the scores the morning after the game so you can pat yourself on the back and say, "I told you so."

Hey Fish, I am a DIEHARD Bills fan and I will continue to watch this team win or loose. I would love to eat crow and be wrong. Your post is moronic and full of insulting suggestions.

Hey Fish, I am a DIEHARD Bills fan and I will continue to watch this team win or loose. I would love to eat crow and be wrong. Your post is moronic and full of insulting suggestions.

Moronic? Hardly. Look up the word.

Full of insulting suggestions? Pfffft. Name one.

You want moronic? I give you........YOU!

I can say "without a doubt," and "beyond a "perpondurance of the evidence" I will be correct.

Get your heads outta of your butts!!!!!

Bottom line is this team is going to STINK and I mean STINK this year and mostly likely many years to come.

You will have no choice but to admit this year and next year the Bills will be NFL bottom dweelers/feeders.

Other than our special teams, there is nothing about this team to like.

I don't know about that, the Jills are fun to look at and training camp is fun, at least there they are still tied for first place. As far as special teams, remember the kick return teams lost us two games last year. There are a few bright spots on this team (Fred Jackson, Byrd, kicking game), but they are far and few in between. Some of these people that criticize Bills fans for being realistic and stating the obvious, that the Bills are one of the worst two or three teams in the NFL are the ones who are fake. The negativity towards the team doesn't start on TBD, as much as some people want to believe this is the center of the NFL universe, it is in every publication, tv show, radio show, and anywhere else they talk about NFL teams. Where there is smoke there is usually fire, so if everyone thinks that, except a few dillusional Bills fans, it must be bad. This is about the 10th or 11th year in a row wishful thinkers on this board (and I was one of them for 5 or 6 years) keep saying this is the year, we will be better than anyone thinks, the playoff drought will end this year, etc. After awhile alot of people, like myself, finally get tired of getting their hopes up only to be let down with year in and year out disappointments. I still route for the Bills as much as ever, but I would rather a decent season for a long overdue change be a surprise and enjoy it instead of having another season of major disappointment and disgust and this losing franchise, with a losing owner, and now an unproven front office.