Gaither's Foot

JoeF

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...uised_foot.html

A 3rd and one young DB from the following four: Youboty, Reggie Corner, Lankster, Cary Harris

Are you, in addition, willing to give Gaither an upper tier LT contract? Why give up a third round pick when there isn't much of a demand for him at this point? A number of reports had it that the Ravens were willing to trade Gaither prior to the draft for a second round pick. There were no takers. Would you be more willing to take a less talented OT with a better work ethic for a more manageable contract and lower draft pick?

Does it really matter, at this point?

I dont think the Bills are actively pursuing him.

Gaither is like a proven draft pick. He's 24....and has had two successful years. Its not like an aging vet...the whole Buddy loves draft picks excuse doesn't work here. Demetrius Bell or Jared Gaither on the blind side? Bell is two years older than Gaither.....

Are you, in addition, willing to give Gaither an upper tier LT contract? Why give up a third round pick when there isn't much of a demand for him at this point? A number of reports had it that the Ravens were willing to trade Gaither prior to the draft for a second round pick. There were no takers. Would you be more willing to take a less talented OT with a better work ethic for a more manageable contract and lower draft pick?

You can't trade for him without going in the $8-10M a year range but if we are going to use a #1 on an LT next year -- we likely will pay at least $5M a year (round 1) or $2-3M a year (round 2) for a player that hasn't played a lick in the NFL. There are opportunities that need to be grasp. This is one of them....24 years old, 2 years experience, a top performer in terms of grading out....

He obviously wants a big contract, is he another Peters?? I think he's better but clearly out of favor in Baltimore.

You can't trade for him without going in the $8-10M a year range but if we are going to use a #1 on an LT next year -- we likely will pay at least $5M a year (round 1) or $2-3M a year (round 2) for a player that hasn't played a lick in the NFL. There are opportunities that need to be grasp. This is one of them....24 years old, 2 years experience, a top performer in terms of grading out....

I think that total will be a bit more my friend. Probably like the $8-10 million dollar range unless there's a rookie cap instituted and a new agreement signed by the Owners/Union. We won't be picking in the 20's bro. :w00t:

We have all learned talent from the draft is not proven. Some players work and others don't. I think the Bills woud be smart to deal for Gaither.

Yet another one to be filed away for future hilarity when proved wrong.

We are not going to trade away draft picks, especially for someone wanting to renew his contract to the tune of 8-10 mil a year. That is not what a rebuilding franchise does. We dance with the ones we drafted. But I will eat crow if we end up making a deal for him, will you if we don't?

He obviously wants a big contract, is he another Peters?? I think he's better but clearly out of favor in Baltimore.

He certainly acts like it by all reports

Is Gaither even that good? If he is that good, why does Baltimore draft Oher. If he is that good, why is he no longer the LT on that team?

He's good but, like another really good LT, he's lazy...Jason Peters is that other LT

The Ravens said they haven't gotten an offer worth entertaining yet, so.....

Quite so, Ice. - it's early days, but one would think there would have a blurb or two by now on the sports sites. That's a bit odd, what with the demand for LTs. I wonder what's up...

BTW - I hope you and yours weren't harmed by the tornadoes last week. My wife has work friends in Ada, and they were thankfully unscathed.

If he is such a top tier talent then why are the Ravens reluctant to give him a contract to match his talent level? Ozzie Newsome is one of the top GMs in the game. He is not the type of GM to shrink paying top talent top dollar. In the case with Gaither he seems to be very hesitant committing big money to him. Let's acknowledge the reality here, Gaither is not a work horse. He wasn't in college and there are question marks about his work ethic in his short stint in the pros. Does Gaither possess exceptional physical talent? No one has ever questioned that. However, there certainly have been doubts about his level of committment to preparing himself. Is he the type of person you want to make a mega-financial deal to? There are players who strenuously prepare for the rigors of the season no matter how big or miniscule their contracts are. I don't believe that Gaither falls in that category. He strikes me as the type of person who once he achieves the sizeable contract then he has a tendency to get comfortable and slide. If you are not sure about my position then ask the Redskins if they have buyers remorse over their bloated deal with Haynesworth.

We are not going to trade away draft picks, especially for someone wanting to renew his contract to the tune of 8-10 mil a year. That is not what a rebuilding franchise does. We dance with the ones we drafted. But I will eat crow if we end up making a deal for him, will you if we don't?

It doesn't have to be Gaither. Jammal Brown would be just fine. We'll all be eating something if we don't address LT this year, and outside of Bell who's in the middle of ACL rehab, where else do we get help from? (and please don't say Wang).

It doesn't have to be Gaither. Jammal Brown would be just fine. We'll all be eating something if we don't address LT this year, and outside of Bell who's in the middle of ACL rehab, where else do we get help from? (and please don't say Wang).

Not looking good for you HB51, per schefters remarks in another thread.

Not looking good for you HB51, per schefters remarks in another thread.

The short sightedness and need for immediate gratification of some never ceases to amaze me. It was also reported that a trade for Gaither probably wouldn't take place until much closer to the season. We're in May.

Does it really matter, at this point?

I dont think the Bills are actively pursuing him.

They are not, from what I heard a week or so ago.