New York Jets

The stadiums of today are much more expensive than the type of spartan stadium Erie County built in 1973. The stadium cost was $23 million. The cost for sophisticated video screens in the newer stadiums cost more than what it took to build Ralph Wilson stadium.

This is a different economic and political era. From now on you are not going to see many new publicly financed facilities. Even in the stadiums built with some public funds the team owners are making significant contributions to the cost of construction. Jerry Jones got help from the public localities but he is responsible for at least 75% of the costs.

As far as the Bills' fans not having to pay PSLs and having reasonable ticket prices and concessions my view is that they are paying too much for a garbage product. When the Bills become more entertaining and competitive on the field I would support a reasonable price increase.

Interesting. The Bills annually have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL, yet haven't been worse than the 8th worst team in the league except for once this past decade (2001). It would seem you're getting more than you paid for. And a new stadium with higher prices would kill attendance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a new stadium with higher prices would kill attendance.

don't confuse people with facts. Some people think that everyone should be able to afford any kind of price increase even though a big portion of Bills fans and season ticket holders are blue collar workers who don't make a lot.

don't confuse people with facts. Some people think that everyone should be able to afford any kind of price increase even though a big portion of Bills fans and season ticket holders are blue collar workers who don't make a lot.

Come now. What the white collar workers are waiting for is a shiny new stadium completely on Ralph's dime, replete with PSL's, higher ticket prices, and overpriced beer and sushi. If you build it, they will come! <_<

Come now. What the white collar workers are waiting for is a shiny new stadium completely on Ralph's dime, replete with PSL's, higher ticket prices, and overpriced beer and sushi. If you build it, they will come! <_<

didn't say that, but I think it's beyond ignorant for people to boldly say that if prices go up after the team performs well, it's acceptable and they'll be happy to pay it...some people can't afford large price increases

and anyone saying that people who can't afford large price increases don't deserve to have seats (and people have said exactly that) is a big part of the problem

didn't say that, but I think it's beyond ignorant for people to boldly say that if prices go up after the team performs well, it's acceptable and they'll be happy to pay it...some people can't afford large price increases

and anyone saying that people who can't afford large price increases don't deserve to have seats (and people have said exactly that) is a big part of the problem

My comments were facetious. I agree with you.

another reason why im afraid the bills will not last another decade here - they would never be able to get psls for anything but the most premium sections (ie jim kelly club etc)

you might call it greed, but greed is what makes the entire american economy work. its a capitalistic society meaning prices essentially set themselves based on whatever people will pay. and since theres only thirty-two franchises there is a huge supply/demand problem meaning people will pay through the nose to get access to what is a very scarce product

the only way i see myself ever paying for a psl is if i found myself suddenly flush with a lot of dough that i could burn. and since i dont ever expect that to happen, there will be no psls in my future, ever

That's a good point about the fans and seating - and we can see the difference in our Canadian games - there is no home field advantage - and that could be the detriment to the corporate seat purchasing. I've come close over the last four or five years to stopping watching the NFL simply because it is so glaringly business first. The players are greedy, the owners are greedy - the idea it is non-profit is absurd. Sure, I love watching football and pro athletes deserve to get a good wage - but, to make 100 million dollars over eight to ten years is insanity. Nurses, police, firemen, Military - it's when you look at jobs like those, people risking their lives, and what these people earn and contrast that to the NFL - And then you've got players like Jason Peters - whining about "got to take care of my family (like a few million wouldn't give any family in Buffalo a good life) - that almost pushed me too far to watch - the thought that these guys wouldn't even really care about making the playoffs as long as they get their money - in the end that was what Jauron stood for - pay without expectations or responsibility.

That's what I like about Gailey - he expects and demands it of himself, and his players, to win. He and Nix just look like they care about nothing else but football and winning. They are no nonsense - and from what we've heard, this team will be much more accountable henceforth.

Good post. I believe athletes are overpaid but there is little we can do about it.

Question does more accountability equal more wins? I hope so...

I would NEVER pay a PSL.....what's next Beer PSL? You need to pay a onetime $1000 fee for the right to buy $9 beers?

That is one of the 3 commandments:

1. Don't !@#$ with a man's family

2. Don't !@#$ witha man's ride

3. Don't !@#$ with a man's right to buy beer

Interesting. The Bills annually have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL, yet haven't been worse than the 8th worst team in the league except for once this past decade (2001). It would seem you're getting more than you paid for. And a new stadium with higher prices would kill attendance.

I'm not asking for a new stadium. What I would like to see is an organization run with reasonable competence and be competitive and entertaining. The Bills have been excruciatingly bad not because of the spartan stadium they play in but because of poor management.

I'm not asking for a new stadium. What I would like to see is an organization run with reasonable competence and be competitive and entertaining.

I think most of us want to see that as well. But a new stadium isn't any answer, and neither is a new owner.

you might call it greed, but greed is what makes the entire american economy work.

Except for that whole part where a bunch of companies crashed because of their greed and then there was a whole big, Kum ba yah moment while everybody had a feel good sharing moment worth about a trillion dollars.

I think most of us want to see that as well. But a new stadium isn't any answer, and neither is a new owner.

I agree with you that a new stadium isn't necessarily an answer to better play. But strenuously disagree with you about the owner. I'm sure you were aware of that even before I posted. LOL

I agree with you that a new stadium isn't necessarily an answer to better play. But strenuously disagree with you about the owner. I'm sure you were aware of that even before I posted. LOL

You know I knew what your answer would be.

There is a good thing about a PSL - you can sell it later, often times for more than you paid........So, it is an asset, not a sunk cost.

An asset that becomes worthless, I think, when/if the Jets go to a new stadium.