Jos. A. Bank Rocks

Chef Jim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on KD you know me, like it bothers me. I could wear a suit from Macys and I'd still look better than them.

I remember getting like 5 suits for $800 at Macys when I was an IROC in public accounting. :D

I remember getting like 5 suits for $800 at Macys when I was an IROC in public accounting. :D

Yes, Macys was the place way back when. It was funny because we all started showing up with the same suits. We called them our uniforms.

Great so where do you get your suits?

When I was a Buffalonian, Riverside Mens Shop. Now in Tampa, most often it's Kirby's. Great deals, loyal to their customers, excellent in-house tailors, stand by all of their products for lifetime, (I returned a 6-year old suit that had been through the ringer and they gave me full store credit).

Honestly I was just busting balls and if I saw you wearing the suit I'm sure I'd think you looked great. I really just don't even notice that stuff, I'm not pretending to be a "high end" guy with Italian suits. Not casting judgement...Just saying, I've been to Jos. A. Bank and when they stick a $750 price tag on a suit, I damn well better get some free stuff!!!

I usually spend about $600-$800 on a suit, I have two that are more expensive than that due to the fabric that helps during July in FL. I usually buy one per year, give or take. I've been able to put together a pretty sharp collection and stay within a middle class budget. I probably wear a suit (including work and personal events) around 9-10 times a month. I'm happy with what I have and generally don't mind spending a little more because when I wear one, it's generally an occasion to look sharp. If you have to wear a suit daily (that sucks) I could see how it becomes tedious and you'd look for value.

When I was a Buffalonian, Riverside Mens Shop. Now in Tampa, most often it's Kirby's. Great deals, loyal to their customers, excellent in-house tailors, stand by all of their products for lifetime, (I returned a 6-year old suit that had been through the ringer and they gave me full store credit).

Honestly I was just busting balls and if I saw you wearing the suit I'm sure I'd think you looked great. I really just don't even notice that stuff, I'm not pretending to be a "high end" guy with Italian suits. Not casting judgement...Just saying, I've been to Jos. A. Bank and when they stick a $750 price tag on a suit, I damn well better get some free stuff!!!

I usually spend about $600-$800 on a suit, I have two that are more expensive than that due to the fabric that helps during July in FL. I usually buy one per year, give or take. I've been able to put together a pretty sharp collection and stay within a middle class budget. I probably wear a suit (including work and personal events) around 9-10 times a month. I'm happy with what I have and generally don't mind spending a little more because when I wear one, it's generally an occasion to look sharp. If you have to wear a suit daily (that sucks) I could see how it becomes tedious and you'd look for value.

And as I mentioned seeing I wear a suit 5 sometimes 6 days a week I have a whole closet full of them so I don't want to break the bank on suits. I'm a frugal person by nature but with what I do for a living people want to see me in a nice suit but not a $1000 suit. Same reason why I drive a nice car but not a real nice car, if you know what I mean.

And as I mentioned seeing I wear a suit 5 sometimes 6 days a week I have a whole closet full of them so I don't want to break the bank on suits. I'm a frugal person by nature but with what I do for a living people want to see me in a nice suit but not a $1000 suit. Same reason why I drive a nice car but not a real nice car, if you know what I mean.

It may be time to trade in that Yugo. Cause when your suits are worth more than your car......well.

Banks has decent stuff, from my experience. My only real issue is they typically didn't carry a lot in short sizes, or my preferred style which tended toward a more Italian cut. But they (or at least had) have pretty good quality.

I sometimes shopped at Men's Wearhouse for value, or if I was in a hurry to get something right away. Their prices are usually very decent, the quality varies by product, but they will tailor the stuff extremely fast if you need it.

One of my favorite shops, for value, quality and style is Malibu Clothes in Beverly Hills. Now way back when, it was on the second floor of a warehouse and you had to kind of know it was there. I think it may have expanded into a real store, but I'm not sure. Top notch stuff and very good prices.

Another great place was on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo. Good stuff at great prices. The owner sat at his desk on the second floor and would call out your size as you entered. He was usually right on the money. Can't remember the name, and I'm not sure if it is still in business.

Also I remember I used to go to Tip Top Tailors in Toronto for suits, way back in the 80's. The US dollar was very strong then and Ontario would even refund the tax you paid. As Toronto had a lot of Asians and shorter ethnic types, they had a huge selection in short sizes. It was worth the trip to TO when I lived in Boston, where they never heard of a 42 Short.

I remembered the name of the place in Buffalo. It is Get Dressed. Looks like it is still there:

http://www.getdressedbuffalo.com/

Jos. A Banks? Trailer Court trash. Go to Brooks brothers Head not included

I had to buy a dress shirt at Brooks Brothers in NYC...it was kind of an emergency. I paid double what I was used to paying and it was the worst dress shirt I ever owned. The collar frayed after one or two wearings.

I'd be a fan too if I didn't have so many suits. If all I wore were custom suits I'd have more money in my closet than in my garage.

I hope you get a coupon for putting their name on here. Maybe 10-20% off when they rip your head off?

BTW. I hate their TV ads. Gay. Not that there's anything wrong with Gay folks buying their suits. Again, just saying.........

You live where? San Fran???? :D

This thread got me to remember the old WKRP episode:

Herb is such a douche (and wears a bad suit), so are the suits and I am totally a "dungaree"... So eff off all you "suits!"

:D:thumbsup:

Go ahead, stick with your jeans.