Beerball brought up the point...

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

He was our first round draft pick last year.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

OK I care. The coaches are sending him a message. He really needs to wake up. Once the pads are poppin' we will see. Until then they can line up Deacon Jones on the third team and it won't matter.

Over and out.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

Walt Patulski is deeply offended. As are Phil Dokes, Mike Williams, and Tom Cousineau.

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

or maybe . . . just maybe . . . they already know that maybin will be on the roster and they want to see what those guys can do since this is a "rookie-mini-camp"

Naw, this was a follow-up to him talking trash about Levi Brown who he knows because they both went to the same college (Troy). McKelvin said to Levi that he was going to intercept some of Levi's passes but turned out to never be on the field at the same time with him. But he got two off of Brohm and was happy about it. That's all, it's a non-issue.

Looks like someone totally missed the innuendo...

You might want to go watch the videos from the first 2 days of camp I saw Maybin out there with the first team players.

Camp Video

You do NOT draft project players with a first round pick, especially in the top 15.

Yes, the Mike Williams pick was bad, but when one looks at the circumstances surrounding both picks, the Williams pick can be justified. The Maybin pick was flat out stupid. Now we have to wait 2-3 years to find out.

How is Williams justified? Just because he was not considered a project? He now is struggling to maintain a roster spot on the Redskins, and was drafted #4 overall. IMO, drafting a guy in the Top 5 that stayed on the roster for 4 years is worse than a project player that came out at the age of 20.

Now I'm not saying Maybin was a good pick, just that I believe Williams was a worse one. We do have the advantage of knowing how bad Williams sucks, while the jury is still out on Maybin. The simple fact that Williams was #4 overall and Maybin was #11 makes it a worse pick.

You might want to go watch the videos from the first 2 days of camp I saw Maybin out there with the first team players.

Camp Video

Mind pointing out to me where you see Maybin playing with the first team? I'm not saying he wasn't…just don't see it. Anyways, the original post is based on what Chris Brown wrote, not review of the video.

or maybe . . . just maybe . . . they already know that maybin will be on the roster and they want to see what those guys can do since this is a "rookie-mini-camp"

Yeah, Nanker and Steely brought that up.

But as I then pointed out, according to Chris Brown, Steve Johnson was getting snaps ahead of Marcus Easley and Jamon Meredith was getting snaps in front of Ed Wang. So that theory seems a bit shaky.

Look, maybe I misinterpreted what Chris Brown wrote. It's open to interpretation as Baby Joe Mesi pointed out. It's possible that Maybin WAS getting first team snaps, but it doesn't read that way to me.

If he's not getting first team snaps (in the context of a rookie camp), then to me anyways, that's a big story.

Over and out.

Nothing written ever said he was practicing with the second team. All it said was what positions Batten, Moats, and Coleman were playing. This whole thread is based on nothing.

The bolded is your opinion…which I've addressed twice now and which someone else addressed in the other thread.

My opinion is that what Chris Brown wrote is open to interpretation. It can be construed differently whether you consider the 2nd paragraph as a logical extension of the first paragraph.

Your opinion is that it can only be interpreted one way. That's fine.

But you state your opinion as if it is some immutable fact, which it is not.

The bolded is your opinion…which I've addressed twice now and which someone else addressed in the other thread.

My opinion is that what Chris Brown wrote is open to interpretation. It can be construed differently whether you consider the 2nd paragraph as a logical extension of the first paragraph.

Your opinion is that it can only be interpreted one way. That's fine.

But you state your opinion as if it is some immutable fact, which it is not.

Sorry, I erased that post after I saw you responded earlier in the thread. I did this without realizing you commented again on my 2nd post. I don't view a new paragraph as a logical extension, I view a new paragraph as a logical new thought. However I can see where the difference in opinion comes from.

I respect what you are saying and if in fact Maybin is not playing with the first group I do feel that it could be very telling as to how the current staff feels regarding him and his ability to play OLB or his lackluster rookie season.

However, If you watch the video from day 1, linked in this thread, Maybin is on the field with McKelvin when he makes his int at 2:17. Which if we are to jump to conclusions that the players listed in the article are on the first team then Maybin is on the field at the same time.

Sorry, I erased that post after I saw you responded earlier in the thread. I did this without realizing you commented again on my 2nd post. I don't view a new paragraph as a logical extension, I view a new paragraph as a logical new thought. However I can see where the difference in opinion comes from.

I respect what you are saying and if in fact Maybin is not playing with the first group I do feel that it could be very telling as to how the current staff feels regarding him and his ability to play OLB or his lackluster rookie season.

However, If you watch the video from day 1, linked in this thread, Maybin is on the field with McKelvin when he makes his int at 2:17. Which if we are to jump to conclusions that the players listed in the article are on the first team then Maybin is on the field at the same time.

Thanks for replying Baby Joe. Yeah this is probably much ado about nothing. The written part is unclear and video-wise, I hadn't noticed Maybin and McKelvin together.

Wow, I hope I didn't kill too many brain cells on this little expedition. :beer:

I am not sure exactly what the situation over at obd, but I am a coach, and in early season practice use a ton of even line ups so that the lower guys can get up to speed. My assumption is that they are trying to build a group of guys not 4 line backers.

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

There have been many many worse picks than this.

This thread seems to be based on something that did not happen.

Par for the course at TSW.

For the life of me, I can't fathom why people care about guys running around in their underware in May...

walt patulski - notre Dame