How many touches of the football by Spiller will make you happy?

Spiller as WR intrigues me. Throw Lynch or Jackson in the backfield and you present two different formations with Spiller at WR. Power Running or is Jackson getting the ball? Or is it designed to get Spiller the ball a couple of yards (or 40 with an OL) down the field.

Me too! I think Spiller in the slot will scare opposing defenses.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that guy!

Your points (the ones you edited into my quote) are good ones - all except that there was no lock, plenty of daylight (Adam James was placed in the wide-open equipment garage in question to keep him out of the direct sunlight and heat with the overhead door fully opened), a working ice machine and running water, and at various points was found resting on the floor, drinking water, and chatting on his cell phone.

But I get it - you're not a big Leach fan. That's OK - neither are EPSN's SMU program-killer, Craig 'I'll Play-for-Pay' James after Leach scolded Craig's spoiled-brat kid, nor TT Chancellor Kent Hance and AD Gerald Myers after being outflanked by Leach in last year's contract negotiations...

'According to the filing, former regent Windy Sitton sent an email to Board of Regents Vice Chair Jerry Turner saying the Kent Hance was arrogant and Gerald Myers was inept. She also says that she knew the firing of Leach had been in the works since the chancellor (Kent Hance) and the AD (Gerald Myers) were out maneuvered by Mike Leach...Wendy Sitton is one of Lubbock's most respected leaders. In addition to being a former board of regents member, she is also a former mayor of the hub city. Clearly, on December 30, 2009, Sitton believed that the firing of Mike Leach was in fact premeditated.

According to the Leach legal team, lawyers for Texas Tech have admitted that they intentionally withheld this document.'

(link - Texas Tech may have withheld email)

Guess we'll find out who the judge believes at this Friday's hearing.

But back to our Bills...

19 and 0 baby!!! 0:)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

IN CHAN WE TRUST!!!!! :beer:

Your points (the ones you edited into my quote) are good ones - all except that there was no lock, plenty of daylight (James was placed in the wide-open equipment garage in question to keep him out of the direct sunlight and heat with the overhead door fully opened), a working ice machine and running water, and at various points was found resting on the floor, drinking water, and chatting on his cell phone.

But I get it - you're not a big Leach fan. That's OK - neither are EPSN's Craig 'I'll Play-for-Pay' James, nor TT Chancellor Kent Hance and AD Gerald Myers after being outflanked by Leach in last year's contract negotiations...

According to the filing, former regent Windy Sitton sent an email to Board of Regents Vice Chair Jerry Turner saying the Kent Hance was arrogant and Gerald Myers was inept. She also says that she knew the firing of Leach had been in the works since the chancellor (Kent Hance) and the AD (Gerald Myers) were out maneuvered by Mike Leach...Wendy Sitton is one of Lubbock's most respected leaders. In addition to being a former board of regents member, she is also a former mayor of the hub city. Clearly, on December 30, 2009, Sitton believed that the firing of Mike Leach was in fact premeditated.

According to the Leach legal team, lawyers for Texas Tech have admitted that they intentionally withheld this document.

(link - Texas Tech may have withheld email)

Guess we'll find out who the judge believes at this Friday's hearing.

But back to our Bills...

19 and 0 baby!!! 0:)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

IN CHAN WE TRUST!!!!! :beer:

Noooo, you got it all wrong. I don't dislike or like Mike Leach, I was just having fun, that's all.

I agree that we should be a run and stop the run team. At least, if we can manage to do both well I think we can have a chance at winning against most teams. One of the things I like about having Spiller is that now we've got all types of running backs, and they're all good. If we want tough, carry the pile running, we can do it. If we want waterbug, Chris Johnson style running, we can do that. Jackson is a quick power runner who can catch and hit the hole quickly... so, I think it will be a real mark of Gailey's talent to use formations that will utilize these backs. (I know - same QB's, but, if we can get the O-line to hold, we could field formations with some speed - Evans, Nelson, Parrish, and Easley, combined with Spiller make for a lot of speed the defense needs to be accountable for... so, again, under the right circumstances, I could see us putting up points passing.)

As for touches - I'm not as big a fan as some of putting a prize player in the line of fire on returns - but, if he shows he can average five more yards a return than anyone else, you've probably got to. If he shows he can produce as a running back more than the others, than you've got to, too. No one will complain if he can manage to average more than Jackson did last year - which was what? Somewhere in the high 4's a carry?

As for touches - I'm not as big a fan as some of putting a prize player in the line of fire on returns - but, if he shows he can average five more yards a return than anyone else, you've probably got to.

Yep - they would have to. You get 16 bites at the apple, in trying to get a few more in the post-season.

I wonder if McGee still has his return zip. I don't want to dub him expendable, but his CB career clock is ticking. I still remain astounded that they didn't use him in the return game for the first couple of years...he was rated as one of the best collegiate returners when he was drafted.

I want Lynch and Jackson to practice the wildcat and have Spiller as a slot reciever. Haha, lets confuse the !@#$ out of the other team by putting as many RBs on the field as we can haha, maybe get Xavier Oman on the other wing jk

:beer:

:thumbsup:
I guess I would be happy with Jackson getting much of the early action, Spiller on 3rd down (assuming the RBs aren't forced to block on most pass plays). Then more touches in the run game in the second half for CJ. Maybe something along the lines of 15 runs, 5 passes per game.

Yep - they would have to. You get 16 bites at the apple, in trying to get a few more in the post-season.

I wonder if McGee still has his return zip. I don't want to dub him expendable, but his CB career clock is ticking. I still remain astounded that they didn't use him in the return game for the first couple of years...he was rated as one of the best collegiate returners when he was drafted.

I agree that it would be a longshot to see McGee on any return duties anymore, barring injuries. Like it or not, he is our #1 vet CB and probably still the most valuable to that unit of the D. Between McKelvin, Parrish, Jackson and Spiller (+ maybe one of the young WR if they prove capable) I still think the return game is top 3 in the game though. It's the one non-embarrassing holdover from the Jauron era (or course it was mostly April's doing).

I agree that it would be a longshot to see McGee on any return duties anymore, barring injuries. Like it or not, he is our #1 vet CB and probably still the most valuable to that unit of the D. Between McKelvin, Parrish, Jackson and Spiller (+ maybe one of the young WR if they prove capable) I still think the return game is top 3 in the game though. It's the one non-embarrassing holdover from the Jauron era (or course it was mostly April's doing).

With the evident switch from a Tampa 2-type backfield scheme, it will be interesting to see how the Bills' cb squad will do playing more of the deeper routes, and the safties playing in a more traditional positioning. Another variable to add to the switch to a 3-4.

Spiller should get his share of 'touches', but so should Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Hardy, and Nelson. One of the most brilliant offensive minds in the game subscribes to the theory of spreading the football around equally to all its skill players, making it impossible to focus on defending one or two specific players...

"You try to get the ball in everyone's hands because then it makes the whole offense harder to keep track of. If they aren't spreading the ball around, they aren't forcing the defense to cover the entire field. They are leaving empty spaces unprobed."

- Mike Leach -

What he said. Move it around but do it quickly...you don't have any pass protection.

With the evident switch from a Tampa 2-type backfield scheme, it will be interesting to see how the Bills' cb squad will do playing more of the deeper routes, and the safties playing in a more traditional positioning. Another variable to add to the switch to a 3-4.

Even though they've switched from the one gap of the Tampa 2, even with Jauron we ran more cover 3 / cover 4 to keep over the top protected. In the 3-4, we can still roll a safety in or have two of them back there in the look of a cover two. In fact, depending on how much Edwards likes to blitz secondary members, we still may be in looks that were similar to last year (however with different results) with stemming moving the shape of the secondary to another look.

Keep in mind, I am referring to touches as total touches. That means KR/PR, WR, and RB. I consider 20 acceptable. 15 would sorta piss me off. Probably should have done a poll, but would really like a discussion about how viable it is to use him in so many roles. He seems smart, except for that wonderlic thingie...

Edited title - Particularly upsetting to myself since I just discussed the need to bullet proof posts. Of course I was talking about PPP.