90 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Steak

• Ribeye
    • Porterhouse
    • T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

I've been asked my opinion if a filet is a steak. Hmmm, I never thought about it. What makes a steak a steak? I'm going to say yes. I'll be grilling today using my smoker for the first time not to smoke but to grill. The key? Quality of the meat and the grill needs to be HOT. I had a natural gas grill in Orange county and the damn thing never got hot enough. This one (The Big Green Egg) gets really hot. So how to pick a good piece of meat? Bright red with lots of marbling (streaks of fat). And don't go cheap. I like to get my steaks at the local farmer's market from a local ranch. It's grass fed, excellent flavor and expensive but well worth it. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper (lots) and that's it.

No marinade? Mind you, I have cooked lots of stuff on the stove with salt and black pepper. I love chicken breasts that way.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fav would be a prime rib roast. I usually get it 2 ribs thick, heat the bbq to 700 and blast is for a bit till she's rare but warm. Montreal steak spice for me, that's it.

Isn't a porterhouse a fillet and a strip?

Hmmm wonder what's for dinner?

No marinade? Mind you, I have cooked lots of stuff on the stove with salt and black pepper. I love chicken breasts that way.

If I do marinade my steaks it's only olive oil a bit of garlic and rosemary. Marinated work better with chicken seeing they're less fatty and need something to zip up the flavor.

My fav would be a prime rib roast. I usually get it 2 ribs thick, heat the bbq to 700 and blast is for a bit till she's rare but warm. Montreal steak spice for me, that's it.

Isn't a porterhouse a fillet and a strip?

Hmmm wonder what's for dinner?

The difference between a porterhouse and t-bone is one is a really great piece of meat and the other is a lard ass that used to post here. Seriously both are the loin cut with the bone and the tenderloin attached. A porterhouse is cut further down the loin so the tenderloin is larger. That's why I prefer porterhouse over t-bone because you get the best of both worlds. But still doesn't compare to a rib eye for me though.

If I do marinade my steaks it's only olive oil a bit of garlic and rosemary. Marinated work better with chicken seeing they're less fatty and need something to zip up the flavor.

I marinate flank steak overnight. Oil, some lemon juice, and a bit of marjoram powder, black pepper and paprika. Rosemary didn't occur to me. sounds good - I'll give it a try.

I probably over season, but the people I cook for (with the exception of my son) are smokers.

I go all out for flavor on chicken, filets and hamburgers. On the stove, for hamburgers I have been known to add bread in the meat. My aunt used to do that for filler because they were fairly poor. If you arrange it in the hamburger pattie nicely though, it crisps up. Yum...I think in a bit I am going shopping. Going with filets though.

I marinate flank steak overnight. Oil, some lemon juice, and a bit of marjoram powder, black pepper and paprika.

:thumbsup: Marinated flank is very good,especially in a citrus marinade. Try adding a little cumin and cilantro.

The difference between a porterhouse and t-bone is one is a really great piece of meat and the other is a lard ass that used to post here. Seriously both are the loin cut with the bone and the tenderloin attached. A porterhouse is cut further down the loin so the tenderloin is larger. That's why I prefer porterhouse over t-bone because you get the best of both worlds. But still doesn't compare to a rib eye for me though.

whats the difference (I know I could google it) between a rib eye and a say, rib steak cap off? I find any of the rib steaks to have tonnes of flavor.

whats the difference (I know I could google it) between a rib eye and a say, rib steak cap off? I find any of the rib steaks to have tonnes of flavor.

You are so !@#$ing Canadian. :thumbsup:

To me a rib cap off is the whole roast with the big cap of fat removed. I assume that a rib steak cap off is that fat removed before they cut the steaks which is how you typically do rib eyes. BTW I've always wanted to open an old fashioned butcher shop. After making sauces cutting meat was my favorite thing to do.

:thumbsup: Marinated flank is very good,especially in a citrus marinade. Try adding a little cumin and cilantro.

I love marinated flank. I usually do it with garlic, thyme, bay leaves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I probably over season, but the people I cook for (with the exception of my son) are smokers.

I go all out for flavor on chicken, filets and hamburgers. On the stove, for hamburgers I have been known to add bread in the meat. My aunt used to do that for filler because they were fairly poor. If you arrange it in the hamburger pattie nicely though, it crisps up. Yum...I think in a bit I am going shopping. Going with filets though.

I've added bread crumbs (not to much), and egg white and catsup.

BTW - I was watching the Food Channel a while back, and the tv cook Bobby Flay had a tip - take your knuckle, or a spoon, and compress the middle of the patty- make a depression. He said it stops the problem of the patty rising high - I tried it, he was 100% right.

You are so !@#$ing Canadian. :thumbsup:

To me a rib cap off is the whole roast with the big cap of fat removed. I assume that a rib steak cap off is that fat removed before they cut the steaks which is how you typically do rib eyes. BTW I've always wanted to open an old fashioned butcher shop. After making sauces cutting meat was my favorite thing to do.

Yes I am :)

when I watch my butcher cut meat I can't believe how easy he makes it look and how !@#$ing sharp his knife is.

BTW - I was watching the Food Channel a while back, and the tv cook Bobby Flay had a tip - take your knuckle, or a spoon, and compress the middle of the patty- make a depression. He said it stops the problem of the patty rising high - I tried it, he was 100% right.

See I used the outside crust. Might try that egg white and ketchup with actual bread crumbs. That sounds intriguing.

Us Chefs are always right. You should see the look I give my wife when I'm cooking and she starts say "are you sure......." :thumbsup:

Yes I am :thumbsup:

when I watch my butcher cut meat I can't believe how easy he makes it look and how !@#$ing sharp his knife is.

Look for a butcher that's missing a few finger tips. Those are the ones with expertise learned over long experience.

I usually do it with garlic, thyme, bay leaves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

That sounds really different. I'll have to give that a try. :thumbsup: I usually use lime juice,oil,cumin,garlic,cilantro,salt and black pepper. Sometimes I throw in a little tomato juice. Gotta let it marinade at least overnight. I also like to chop up some fresh vegtables and throw them in the marinade too. Grill everthing together. Damn,I'm getting hungry!