NFL preparing to use replacement players

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has nothing to do with replacements; it has to do with two things:

1. Spreading risks, if for some reason the UFL does become huge and wins the TV deals the NFL wont be without their much valued dollars. NFL had or has shares in Arena and CFL as well.

2. The NFL realises that it has lost a lot with the closure of of NFL Europe in the sense of try-out, repositioning and quality control player wise but also coaching, staffinf and referee wise as well as trial grounds for new rules. Expect the UFL to be expanding and deals with teams or the league as a whole to be reborn similar to NFL Europe. Now if they only just would move it back to Europe where there is a fanbase which is at least 4 times larger then the current UFL fanbase...

This has nothing to do with replacements; it has to do with two things:

1. Spreading risks, if for some reason the UFL does become huge and wins the TV deals the NFL wont be without their much valued dollars. NFL had or has shares in Arena and CFL as well.

2. The NFL realises that it has lost a lot with the closure of of NFL Europe in the sense of try-out, repositioning and quality control player wise but also coaching, staffinf and referee wise as well as trial grounds for new rules. Expect the UFL to be expanding and deals with teams or the league as a whole to be reborn similar to NFL Europe. Now if they only just would move it back to Europe where there is a fanbase which is at least 4 times larger then the current UFL fanbase...

Playing in Europe is what killed NFL Europe. It's too expensive, and outside of Germany, there wasn't much fan interest. I think a football league like the UFL that has a development deal with the NFL could be very successful if it were played in the spring and summer. Ideally there would be 32 teams, one for every NFL team. Tell me a JV Bills squad would have trouble drawing fans in Buffalo? Just keep the tickets reasonably priced and RWS would be full for every game. Buffalo fans love football and love tailgating. Give them a warm-up to real football season and they would eat it up.

PTR

Playing in Europe is what killed NFL Europe. It's too expensive, and outside of Germany, there wasn't much fan interest. I think a football league like the UFL that has a development deal with the NFL could be very successful if it were played in the spring and summer. Ideally there would be 32 teams, one for every NFL team. Tell me a JV Bills squad would have trouble drawing fans in Buffalo? Just keep the tickets reasonably priced and RWS would be full for every game. Buffalo fans love football and love tailgating. Give them a warm-up to real football season and they would eat it up.

PTR

Geez Promo, you're tempting my football palette :)

Playing in Europe is what killed NFL Europe. It's too expensive,

Too expensive is relative... The cost per season was 2 third of Goodell his yearly salary without bonusses. Besides the final season showed an increase of 20% spectators (averiging 22k per game).

and outside of Germany, there wasn't much fan interest.

Avarage attendance per game was 22k in the final season, Amsterdam the only non german team had 15k av. (and a horrible season). 15k for european standards is a lot, only 3 soccer teams drew more.

I think a football league like the UFL that has a development deal with the NFL could be very successful if it were played in the spring and summer. Ideally there would be 32 teams, one for every NFL team.

Tell me a JV Bills squad would have trouble drawing fans in Buffalo? Just keep the tickets reasonably priced and RWS would be full for every game. Buffalo fans love football and love tailgating. Give them a warm-up to real football season and they would eat it up.

PTR

Agreed, I even go as far as saying that a true world league based on that principle would draw crowds. However there would be a lot of cost involved. Calculate a 2 million loss per team and you are talking 64 million a year (NFL Europe was costing 10 mil a season). Maybe the format would draw in enough television rights to cover that though (the issue with NFL Europe was hardly no income from television rights). Increased interest for merchandising could be covering that as well. 32 teams is a lot of players though.