Obvious Problem

Im a huge supporter of Gailey and love the Spiller pick. I also believe that running the ball effectively wins championships and we are definetly on the right path in getting our solid running game. However the way I see it, for this year at least, even if we run the ball up and down the field our first four games, teams will start putting eight or nine people in the box and we WILL be forced to pass just to give our backs some daylight.

This could work two ways...

1) The opposing defenses will wise up and put more men in the box and shut our running game now if there is no threat to throw.

2) With all the men in the box our recievers will see ALOT more man on man coverage, and with the abilities our recievers have in terms of speed and size, (Evans, Hardy, Parrish and Johnson) this could actually open up the passing game and give TE or Fitzy the oppurtunity to complete some balls down field.

What happens could be the reason we finsish 5-11 or 9-7, 10-6.

Thoughts??

I expect teams in put eight in the box and make us beat them with the throw. Teams will also double Evans or at least roll a safety to his side. The only, and I mean the only way our offense can succeed is if we get decent TE production and someone, either Hardy or Johnson, emerges as a legitimate receiving threat opposite Evans.

I expect teams in put eight in the box and make us beat them with the throw. Teams will also double Evans or at least roll a safety to his side. The only, and I mean the only way our offense can succeed is if we get decent TE production and someone, either Hardy or Johnson, emerges as a legitimate receiving threat opposite Evans.

I agree. Johnson or Hardy HAVE to step up this year for this team to have a chance.

Im a huge supporter of Gailey and love the Spiller pick. I also believe that running the ball effectively wins championships and we are definetly on the right path in getting our solid running game. However the way I see it, for this year at least, even if we run the ball up and down the field our first four games, teams will start putting eight or nine people in the box and we WILL be forced to pass just to give our backs some daylight.

1) The opposing defenses will wise up and put more men in the box and shut our running game now if there is no threat to throw.

2) With all the men in the box our recievers will see ALOT more man on man coverage, and with the abilities our recievers have in terms of speed and size, (Evans, Hardy, Parrish and Johnson) this could actually open up the passing game and give TE or Fitzy the oppurtunity to complete some balls down field.

Thoughts??

That is the beauty of play action football.

My honest assessment of the team is that we will finish 6-10-8-8 we won't be God awful but the team has flaws and is in transition. Our D gives us a punchers chance to win some games this season. Our secondary is really good and our front 7 should be respectable in stopping the run (Pass rush is a huge question mark even if Schobel comes back) last year if we had an average rushing D we would have been close to a top ten D.

The offense is a mess however. We are set at running back that's for sure and Lee Evans is a good receiver. But that's all the nice things I can say about our offense. Our QB situation is a mess, We don't have a number 2 WR, Nelson has potential at Tight End but that can't really be counted on, and Our O-line is one that has two good guards but is average at C and RT (At best) and doesn't have a LT so all in all our O-line is still one that is far from being a strength.

We are a year away at least. I want to see a few things happen this season

1- Our Front 7 preform well - If thin new 3-4 can show signs of being solid against the run and have some pass rush I will be happy it sometimes takes multiple seasons to convert to the 3-4 lets hope we see signs of a quick conversion this season. (Also hope Poz does good in the 3-4 and Maybin can become a factor in it at OLB)

2- Shawn Nelson progresses - Nelson has the physical tools lets hope Gailey uses him right and gets him to block even at an average NFL level. If we can come out of the season feeling like Nelson is the answer at Tight End then that is obviously a good thing.

3- Eric Wood comes back healthy and dominates - Self explanatory we need him and Levitre to be the foundation for the O-line.

4- Wang, Bell, or Meridith progress- If Meridith, Bell, or Wang can show signs of being the answer at RT or LT then that's obviously a good thing.

The QB situation is one that I have low expectations for and the number 2 WR situation is another no expectations thing. All in all if our new 3-4 can come together and we can get Eric Wood back and get some progress out of Nelson and one of our young Tackles I say we have made some semblance of progress.

I think the learning curve for WR is a little higher. Very few have break out years there rookie year.

I agree. And if you look at Dline. Very few of them make a big difference in their first year. So this is a team in transition.....I can live with that...I truly believe that while we might not see a team with a great record, we'll see a team that gains focus and understands who they are and what it takes to win.....I'll be happy with that.

I agree. And if you look at Dline. Very few of them make a big difference in their first year. So this is a team in transition.....I can live with that...I truly believe that while we might not see a team with a great record, we'll see a team that gains focus and understands who they are and what it takes to win.....I'll be happy with that.

Good points. I also think we will struggle this year, but get better as the year ends.

Spiller is also a home-run threat catching the ball out of the backfield, so I expect to see him significantly in the mix in the passing game. If he pans out as advertised that may make teams a little less aggressive going after the run.

Spiller is also a home-run threat catching the ball out of the backfield, so I expect to see him significantly in the mix in the passing game. If he pans out as advertised that may make teams a little less aggressive going after the run.

If I was playing the Bills I would all out blitz every down as our QBs will not make them pay. Only hoppe is Spllier out in the flat with a screen or maybe a draw play.

I would for one would like to see Spiller getting some catches out of the slot position. He's quick enough, has solid hands, and can make people miss after he catches the ball. I'm not saying however we put him on inside routes, but even just little 5 yard outs, or even flying on a seam route i would love to see periodically.

Thoughts??

How exactly did you come to that conclusion? Is it because of the 1.5 above average starters we have on the OL? (Levitre and injured Wood) Is it becasue we took a 5th and 7th round OLmen who are both projects yet will be required to start at some point this season? Is it because our starting LT from last year was the league leader in false start penalties and coming off an ACL injury? Maybe its because our other two returning Ts were cut/released from Det and GB? Or maybe its because our C was rated the worst in the league at the position last season? Or maybe its because we have new QBs who will be able to read the D better pre snap and put the team in a better play call, or maybe is the ultra successful, proven winner of a coach we just hired - who hasnt been fired from every position he has ever held, including GT in the ACC, multiple OC positions in many cities....and the KANSIS CITY CHIEFS OC POSITION AFTER THE PRESEASON.

OOOOO, you think adding a 200lb RB who never ran between the tackles in college, and is best known for his kick and punt returns, is some how going to create holes for himself, then learn to run through them, and learn to run with power, while still being able to out run everyone on the field, with 8-9 guys in the box....

....but then again, I didn't drink the kool-Aid

I will be thrilled with a competitive improving team as the season progresses and look forward to watching

How exactly did you come to that conclusion? Is it because of the 1.5 above average starters we have on the OL? (Levitre and injured Wood) Is it becasue we took a 5th and 7th round OLmen who are both projects yet will be required to start at some point this season? Is it because our starting LT from last year was the league leader in false start penalties and coming off an ACL injury? Maybe its because our other two returning Ts were cut/released from Det and GB? Or maybe its because our C was rated the worst in the league at the position last season? Or maybe its because we have new QBs who will be able to read the D better pre snap and put the team in a better play call, or maybe is the ultra successful, proven winner of a coach we just hired - who hasnt been fired from every position he has ever held, including GT in the ACC, multiple OC positions in many cities....and the KANSIS CITY CHIEFS OC POSITION AFTER THE PRESEASON.

OOOOO, you think adding a 200lb RB who never ran between the tackles in college, and is best known for his kick and punt returns, is some how going to create holes for himself, then learn to run through them, and learn to run with power, while still being able to out run everyone on the field, with 8-9 guys in the box....

....but then again, I didn't drink the kool-Aid

apparently you drank piss and vinegar

The Bills' offense has been facing 8 and 9 in the box regularly since Bledsoe left town. That will be nothing new. That says more about our QB play than anything else. It says something about our other weapons other than Evans who has been doubled constantly since the Houston game in '06. But it's mostly lack of respect for a QB that teams are DARING to beat them. Makes it nearly impossible for the OLine to maintain adequate protection when running OR passing when constantly outnumbered at the POA. Simple arithmetic.

Enter Spiller. In the absence of a QB that will force teams to back off by virtue of a being consistent passing threat, nothing beats 8 or 9 in the box like speed to the edge and/or the ability to explode through a small gap and into the second level. We have not had a back this fast and quick since OJ. He's going to put pressure on the the defense because he will beat them to the corner more often than not. He's going to require nothing more than a simple seal by the OLman to exploit that edge. And he's going to cause LBs and DBs to snap ankles once they start to bite on the play fakes. Spiller adds a dimension we haven't seen in a LONG time. It's nice having the fastest guy in the division on our team for a change.

I just wish I had more faith in our QBs to take advantage.

GO BILLS!!!