Is Lee Evans wasting his career here?

Lee Evans probably still wants Losman to start here. He would get plenty of receptions. The thing is top #1 receivers still get open when double teamed, Lee Evans doesn't.

I like Lee but he isn't a top #1 in the league. He is a #1 but he isn't near the top.

I cannot help feeling bad for "Money". Since being drafted he's had to deal with the likes of Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Makes you wonder just how good this guy would be with a quality quarterback in this league. I mean, this guy is simply a class act and one of the hardest working players in the National Football League. Not just recievers, players.

Lee shows up every single week, gives 100% on every single play, runs his routes like they're his last every time, only to look back and see his quarterback either get plowed into the turf or watching Edwards check it down to a RB after Lee had his DB burned by 20 yards downfield.

If Buffalo is going to rebuild, they owe it to Lee Evans to deal him to where he can be the player he actually is, instead of wasting this guys time and his talent.

Fans or teams don't owe athletes anything more than the millions of dollars we give them in their contract. The Bills should only trade him if they think they can get a good deal for him, not because we want him to go score touchdowns against us. Stop pampering the dude

I cannot help feeling bad for "Money". Since being drafted he's had to deal with the likes of Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Makes you wonder just how good this guy would be with a quality quarterback in this league. I mean, this guy is simply a class act and one of the hardest working players in the National Football League. Not just recievers, players.

Lee shows up every single week, gives 100% on every single play, runs his routes like they're his last every time, only to look back and see his quarterback either get plowed into the turf or watching Edwards check it down to a RB after Lee had his DB burned by 20 yards downfield.

If Buffalo is going to rebuild, they owe it to Lee Evans to deal him to where he can be the player he actually is, instead of wasting this guys time and his talent.

"Money"? :)

The point is completely missed. People should be accountable for their own success and productivity. How often does a companies' stock price go up when the CEO says, we lost money, we missed earnings but it’s not our fault and we have great excuses?

There are numerous good receivers in the league that figure out how to produce with shaky QB situations. Given that Lee is not one of those and it's not really challenged, I'd say his career is going pretty well in Buffalo.

I agree wholeheartedly that people should be accountable, but I'm not sure I much agree with the bolded portion of your statement. I think there are a few WRs that produce with less than ideal QB situations (Brandon Marshall comes to mind), but I wouldn't say numerous. When I look at the QBs that were throwing to the WR reception leaders over the years, I'm not surprised to see the vast majority had high-caliber, stable QBs throwing to them, if not surefire HOFers. They also had better compliments at other positions on the offense other than QB but that's another discussion.

I'm not defending LE's lack of production but there is probably no more position in all of professional sports that's as dependent on good play from another position. Good QBs are essential to good receiver play on a consistent basis.

GO BILLS!!!

the guy is a #2 WR anywhere else getting paid 9 mill per year. I don't feel for him at all.

+1

I don't mind that we paid him Larry Fitzgerald money because it makes no sense to let go of one of our few talented players, but let's not pretend that was a fair market contract.

Lee needs to man up and take responsibility for his own poor play that has occurred ever since he signed his contract. A great receiver makes the QB better. Tired of Lee avoiding all the blame.

Well let's see.

Last year, Lee Evans ranked #61 in receiving yards, and #88 in catches. In contrast, there were 10 tight ends, and 1 running back that gained more reception yardage. 18 tight ends caught more passes, and 11 running backs caught more passes.

The year before, he was #33 in receptions, and #19 in yardage. Great year. Only 5 TEs had more catches. Unfortunately, tied for 61st in TDs.

In 2007, he was 45th in the league in receptions, and 32nd in yardage. 36th in touchdowns.

As for his salary, Evans' cap number was $ 6,577,182 last year. For the 61st/88th best receiver in terms of yardage and catches. That is the 14th highest salary for a receiver, by the way.

"But wait! This isn't fair!", I hear you saying. "He doesn't have a quarterback!"

Here is a sampling of some other pass catchers that out gained Lee Evans last year.

Brandon Marshall

T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Vernon Davis

Kellen Winslow

Devone Bess

Santana Moss

Calvin Johnson

Zach Miller

Steve Smith (Carolina version)

Mike Sims-Walker

And the list goes on and on. Some need a good quarterback, some seem not to.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lee Evans is a very good NFL caliber player on a team with few NFL caliber players. But let us not kid ourselves thinking that he is somehow Jerry Rice trapped in crappy Buffalo. He is good, not great. And got himself a very, very rich contract for relatively little productivity.

Could he be better with a better quarterback, on a better team, in a better system? Absolutely.

Is he an elite receiver in the NFL? Hardly. The numbers speak for themselves.

The answer is yes. Lee Evan's unproven talent is wasted in Buffalo

and Eric Moulds wasted the prime of his career here as well.

Eric Moulds was a super gifted WR if he were teamed with Brett Favre instead of Old Kelly\Todd Collins\Rob Johnson\Flutie\Other Tackling Dummy QBs he would have huge HOF numbers.

If I could get a paycheck that ranks in the top 1% of my field for continual subpar performance and production while all fault finding is focused extrinsically, I'd consider myself fortunate, show up every day, and feel pretty smart regarding my career path.

But if the metric you were being judged on were sales, and the product you were selling was clearly much lower in quality than it's competitors and ran late two or three years in delivery time, you might legitimately wonder how good a chance you had ever had to sell at rates comparable to your peers at other companies. That's the situation Lee is in. The situation makes the job impossible to do.

And if every idiot on the street felt free to comment on your performance and tell you how much you sucked without understanding of the limitations placed on you, you might not feel so fortunate after all.

But if the metric you were being judged on were sales, and the product you were selling was clearly much lower in quality than it's competitors and ran late two or three years in delivery time, you might legitimately wonder how good a chance you had ever had to sell at rates comparable to your peers at other companies. That's the situation Lee is in. The situation makes the job impossible to do.

And if every idiot on the street felt free to comment on your performance and tell you how much you sucked without understanding of the limitations placed on you, you might not feel so fortunate after all.

I don't know about every idiot saying "Lee sucks". Lots of idiots here still think Lee "Straight Line Speed" Evans is one of the true elite and top 5 or 10 WRs in the sport and carpet bomb the board with excuses as to why he's never shown it. ("What do you expect, man? He was double covered all day!")