Final Roster Cuts

I made a comment recently about how glad I am that our team is looking at these small school stand-outs, and that if their measurables are comparative to the higher drafted players, then just because they played against inferior talent doesn't mean they can't succeed in the NFL. When a team needs to fill as many holes as we supposedly do, these "chances" could turn out nicely for us, as opposed to teams that are stacked with talent, who don't have the room to give "potential" guys roster spots.

Anyway, when I look at all the players we've brought in these past few weeks, I really like a handful of UDFA's and the linebackers we snagged in the latter rounds look promising, too. But, it looks like we'll have to get rid of some veterans who have been o.k. in order to make room for guys who could be better.

Our linebacking, running back, and wideout groups all look like there might have to be some sacrifices in order to keep these rookies - and if that is the case then I'm all for it.

Still, I can't look over our roster right now and see how they're going to trim it down to 53 without losing some of the talent they've been bringing in lately.

Keith Ellison, Chris Ellis, Chris Kelsey, Ryan Fitzpatrick & Roscoe Parrish (too small for Chan) come to mind...

Chris Draft doesn't fit size or age-wise...many of us love Nic Harris but he seems like a poor fit, too.

And there'll be some surprise cuts that very few anticipate.

Like the OC?? :rolleyes:

I'm sure of this. With an unknown of how a number of D players handle the switch to 3-4, likely some won't. Plus there are a few guys who haven't shown much of anything since they've been here: McCargo, Hardy, Chambers, Spencer Johnson, McIntyer, Youboty among those already mentioned.

Chris Draft doesn't fit size or age-wise...many of us love Nic Harris but he seems like a poor fit, too.

I believe that there will be surprise cuts as well. I can easily see Harris gone. I don't think roscoe will be cut like the op claims, though. That seems to be exactly the kind of guy chan likes. I can only pray that Kelsay leaves, he really doesn't fit with our new scheme.

Like the OC?? :rolleyes:

I'm sure of this. With an unknown of how a number of D players handle the switch to 3-4, likely some won't. Plus there are a few guys who haven't shown much of anything since they've been here: McCargo, Hardy, Chambers, Spencer Johnson, McIntyer, Youboty among those already mentioned.

Hardy? injured while being here and we need a big WR... Johnson? thought he played pretty well when he did play, dont see Youboty getting cut either, Chambers? we need all the OL we can remember last year?

These are just my thoughts on your list.

Spiller, Fred Jackson, Terrence McGee, Jairus Byrd, Levitre, Evans, K Williams... ALLLLL gonna be cut. I heard this from a certain dog friend of mine who solves mysteries with his friend Shaggy. He heard it from sources deep within.

I think Kawika Mitchell could be a surprise cut as well...they're going to have him, Poz, and Andra Davis battling for spots on the inside...Arthur Moats will also be playing the inside, and although he is probably not ready to start, they will probably keep him on the roster.

I think guys like Chris Ellis, Keith Ellison, John McCargo and Chris Kelsay will be let go for sure. Marcus Stroud could be a surprise cut IMO, however this team lacks the depth on the d-line right now. Time may be up for Ashton Youboty as well.

Another surprise cut could be James Hardy!

I think Kawika Mitchell could be a surprise cut as well...they're going to have him, Poz, and Andra Davis battling for spots on the inside...Arthur Moats will also be playing the inside, and although he is probably not ready to start, they will probably keep him on the roster.

I think guys like Chris Ellis, Keith Ellison, John McCargo and Chris Kelsay will be let go for sure. Marcus Stroud could be a surprise cut IMO, however this team lacks the depth on the d-line right now. Time may be up for Ashton Youboty as well.

I didn't want to mention names in my earlier post, but I wouldn't rule out ANY of the names that you mentioned.

Chris Ellis was a bad ass in college. I would like to see him develop.

Kelsay doesn't fit the new system....come to think of it, he didn't fit our old system. I know "career year" with his 5 sacks last year. If we could trade a sack for him to make on of the many missed tackles he had....no nevermind sucks.

I know CG will like Hardy's size...his work ethic is going to be questioned. I know he was injured, but he really couldn't have been less impressive his rookie year. I know a lot of hearts bled when he got hurt, and if he could run a route, I would have been one of them.

McCargo....been too long already.

Draft...buh bye.

I don't know if there will be a lot of surprise cuts, but I think there will be a lot of veterans cut.

I still don't really know what the big beef with Mitchell is.

Chris Ellis was a bad ass in college. I would like to see him develop.

Kelsay doesn't fit the new system....come to think of it, he didn't fit our old system. I know "career year" with his 5 sacks last year. If we could trade a sack for him to make on of the many missed tackles he had....no nevermind sucks.

I know CG will like Hardy's size...his work ethic is going to be questioned. I know he was injured, but he really couldn't have been less impressive his rookie year. I know a lot of hearts bled when he got hurt, and if he could run a route, I would have been one of them.

McCargo....been too long already.

Draft...buh bye.

I don't know if there will be a lot of surprise cuts, but I think there will be a lot of veterans cut.

I still don't really know what the big beef with Mitchell is.

Its been stated many of times by TO, Coaches and Media that Hardy's work ethic is outstanding. CG will get him the ball this year if he can stay healthy.

If enough of us think this is it really a surprise cut?

Spiller, Fred Jackson, Terrence McGee, Jairus Byrd, Levitre, Evans, K Williams... ALLLLL gonna be cut. I heard this from a certain dog friend of mine who solves mysteries with his friend Shaggy. He heard it from sources deep within.

ruh roh.

Don't think any of the experience LB's will be cut, in a 3-4 you need LB's and we are just ramping up in that area with that being said Mitchell, Poz and Ellison are soft. We need tough players at the ILB spot and we don't have them. I could easily see all of them cut by the end of next season.

I'm sure there is a blogger that will produce stats that states that our LB's produce more than Ray Lewis but these guys are pansies as a unit.

It seems as though we will have more size on the line hopefully that will help.

I believe Chan will give everyone a fair chance.

Chris Draft's age may be an issue, but he was a starting ILB for Atlanta back in the day for many years, he definitely fits besides his age, and may be the most experienced 3-4 LB we have.

...When a team needs to fill as many holes as we supposedly do, these "chances" could turn out nicely for us, as opposed to teams that are stacked with talent, who don't have the room to give "potential" guys roster spots.

Yea, I am glad we loaded up on chances because the percentages are so much in our favor...

yea, what a terrible thing it would be to have too much talent and have to say goodbye to these players...it must be time for a scooby-snack... :rolleyes:

Its been stated many of times by TO, Coaches and Media that Hardy's work ethic is outstanding. CG will get him the ball this year if he can stay healthy.

Hardy won the Ed Block Award

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...4b-6f6392774d3e

It is not an award that I am overly familiar with but dedication is part of qualifications, so I don't think work ethic is a problem. Injuries have been the problem for Hardy, I am hoping the guy is and can stay healthy and contribute. We are going to need a few WRs to step and make some plays this year and the kid deserves a break.