Final Roster Cuts

I think Kawika Mitchell could be a surprise cut as well...they're going to have him, Poz, and Andra Davis battling for spots on the inside...Arthur Moats will also be playing the inside, and although he is probably not ready to start, they will probably keep him on the roster.

I think guys like Chris Ellis, Keith Ellison, John McCargo and Chris Kelsay will be let go for sure. Marcus Stroud could be a surprise cut IMO, however this team lacks the depth on the d-line right now. Time may be up for Ashton Youboty as well.

Another surprise cut could be James Hardy!

Since we are playing a 3-4 I think we might keep 8 LBs. Mitchell will make the team because I think he could play inside or outside if needed. We do not have much on the outside and he could start there. Especially if Schoebel retires and Kelsay may be a liability in coverage. What else do we have .. Ellison? Maybin? Batten? Ellis?

Don't think any of the experience LB's will be cut, in a 3-4 you need LB's and we are just ramping up in that area with that being said Mitchell, Poz and Ellison are soft. We need tough players at the ILB spot and we don't have them. I could easily see all of them cut by the end of next season.

I'm sure there is a blogger that will produce stats that states that our LB's produce more than Ray Lewis but these guys are pansies as a unit.

It seems as though we will have more size on the line hopefully that will help.

I believe Chan will give everyone a fair chance.

Hey, those guys, particularly Poz, are not soft. Also, our inside linebackers have had to contend with a terrible D-line for the past few seasons. Playing inside linebacker with a terrible D line is a bit like playing QB with a bad O-line.

I made a comment recently about how glad I am that our team is looking at these small school stand-outs, and that if their measurables are comparative to the higher drafted players, then just because they played against inferior talent doesn't mean they can't succeed in the NFL. When a team needs to fill as many holes as we supposedly do, these "chances" could turn out nicely for us, as opposed to teams that are stacked with talent, who don't have the room to give "potential" guys roster spots.

Anyway, when I look at all the players we've brought in these past few weeks, I really like a handful of UDFA's and the linebackers we snagged in the latter rounds look promising, too. But, it looks like we'll have to get rid of some veterans who have been o.k. in order to make room for guys who could be better.

Our linebacking, running back, and wideout groups all look like there might have to be some sacrifices in order to keep these rookies - and if that is the case then I'm all for it.

Still, I can't look over our roster right now and see how they're going to trim it down to 53 without losing some of the talent they've been bringing in lately.

:rolleyes:

Like the OC?? :)

I'm sure of this. With an unknown of how a number of D players handle the switch to 3-4, likely some won't. Plus there are a few guys who haven't shown much of anything since they've been here: McCargo, Hardy, Chambers, Spencer Johnson, McIntyer, Youboty among those already mentioned.

Youboty and McCargo should have been gone long ago. If the new regime says adios to those two I will be one step closer to cautious optimism.