A question about the LB situation: Inside - Outside

San-O

My questions and observations:

1. Current depth chart has Maybin starting outside: only place he can possibly start?

2. Also has Kelsay as outside: Is this even possible? Isn't he too slow, can he cover TEs?

3. Puz and Davis starting inside: OK, that makes sense.

4. Mitchell is listed as a backup.

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/

Can the Bills really go into the season with 2 outside backers who have never started those positions?

Flame away.

Go Bills.

FWIW: I do really like what the Bills have done so far in FA and draft on the D-line.

:rolleyes:

well, if schobel comes back (which i pray he does) than he will be starting on the outside, maybe. unless he goes back to DE. I agree, im not sure Maybin and Kelsay will be able to pull through for us. TBH id rather have Mitchell playing OLB, he is a beast and has experience playing OLB

I guess I'm not really sure what the responsibilites would be for OLB in the new scheme

Don't OLB usually pass rush on the weak side and drop into coverage on the strong?

Never liked Kelsay or his contract, but I can't see him in coverage, and I don't think he has the

quickness or footspeed to play OLB.

Mitchell just isn't a very good football player. He has some abilities in pass defense, which I think will get him on the field on 3rd down, since Andre Davis is more of a run stuffer, but if you have Mitchell starting at OLB in your 3-4 defense, you have drastically undersold your fan base. He doesn't create any kind of presence on the edge of a defense, and he doesn't stop the run well at all.

If Schobel comes back, then he and Maybin will be the two starting OLBs. If not, I think you'll see Chris Ellis, and even the kid from James Madison we drafted get some looks. I know they project him inside because of his height, but I think he'll end up making his money in the NFL at OLB. I don't see Kelsay fitting in at 3-4 OLB in any way shape or form.

Mitchell just isn't a very good football player. He has some abilities in pass defense, which I think will get him on the field on 3rd down, since Andre Davis is more of a run stuffer, but if you have Mitchell starting at OLB in your 3-4 defense, you have drastically undersold your fan base. He doesn't create any kind of presence on the edge of a defense, and he doesn't stop the run well at all.

If Schobel comes back, then he and Maybin will be the two starting OLBs. If not, I think you'll see Chris Ellis, and even the kid from James Madison we drafted get some looks. I know they project him inside because of his height, but I think he'll end up making his money in the NFL at OLB. I don't see Kelsay fitting in at 3-4 OLB in any way shape or form.

Apparently, the Giants found Mitchell good enough to start for a SB champ carried by their defense.

Out of the two rookies Moats is supposed to be played inside and Batten outside. Small school kids who aot of analysts considered real solid sleeper picks. Hopefully one or both of those guys pan out, at the very least they should provide good depth.

Apparently, the Giants found Mitchell good enough to start for a SB champ carried by their defense.

Well, reality is that Mitchell was probably the weakest part of that defensive front 7. The Bills heavily overpaid for him and what he contributes on the field.

4. Mitchell is listed as a backup.

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/

Can the Bills really go into the season with 2 outside backers who have never started those positions?

First of all, the linked depth chart is from billsdaily...it's not the team's official depth chart.

The depth chart currently posted on the Bills' official website still shows last year's starters configured in a 4-3 defense.

well, if schobel comes back (which i pray he does) than he will be starting on the outside, maybe. unless he goes back to DE. I agree, im not sure Maybin and Kelsay will be able to pull through for us. TBH id rather have Mitchell playing OLB, he is a beast and has experience playing OLB

It's all opinion right now. The Bills have stated who is playing where (btw, the Bills have stated that Mitchell will be an inside backer), but linebacker and defensive line will probably be the position groups with the biggest and most changes.

A lot can change from now until the start of the season.

Agree with this.

Never liked Kelsay or his contract, but I can't see him in coverage, and I don't think he has the

quickness or footspeed to play OLB.

Kelsay is going to have to lose about 20 pounds for his new position. I'll withhold predictions on his foot speed. He was an athletic DE and if he loses substantial weight, he might be able to play OLB.

Mitchell just isn't a very good football player. He has some abilities in pass defense, which I think will get him on the field on 3rd down, ...He doesn't create any kind of presence on the edge of a defense, and he doesn't stop the run well at all.

Disagree with most of what you wrote about Mitchell. IMO, he's a thumper against the run but a liability in pass coverage. Mitchell doesn't play well in space and looks very clunky in coverage (although his INT against SD in 2008 was nice). Basically my take on Mitchell is 180 degrees opposite of yours. Better against the run than the pass.

I also think the chances of Schobel starting (if he returns) are slim. He's quite old to learn a position he's never played. I see him as a situational pass rusher. I think Kelsay has a chance to succeed in this defense. But mostly, I think the rookies will get lots of opportunities to play this year.

Moats will be tried at inside backer but clearly he will get opportunities to rush from the outside. I think Batten will play quite a bit this year. I also believe the UDFA from Auburn, Antonio Coleman has a shot at making the team at OLB/ST and might get some snaps on passing downs.

One of my concerns at OLB is where Nic Harris fits in. I love the guy but I wonder if he fits into this defense. He's already bulked up from college DB to pro linebacker. Now it would seem he'll need to bulk up even more to play in the 3-4.

If Schobel decides to call it quits, I see Kawika being switched out side and competing with Maybin and Kelsay for starting job. If Schobel comes back, he is a starter who would rarely be used in pass coverage.

The wild card here is Maybin. He has the tools but needs to play well.

The two rookie "backers are interesting and may be used situationally if they can earn time.

Mitchel has been told that he will play one of the ILB positions. That means that Poz or A. Davis will fight for the other ILB spot.

If Schobel returns he'ss start at one OLB spot. Maybin will likely start at the other.

We're looking at this starting LB corps:

Schobel Mitchell Poz/Davis Maybin.

That's a pretty good group actually.

Mitchell can also play outside. In that case:

Mitchell Davis Poz Schobel/Maybin. The Bills may ultimately settle on this group of starters.

Other LBs who will likely make the final roster include: Kelsay, Moats, Draft, Batten, Ellison.

Kelsay can be kep around to play a backup pass rushing OLB or be used as a possible 4-3 DE is obvious passing situations if the Bills choose to go that route at times.

Well, reality is that Mitchell was probably the weakest part of that defensive front 7. The Bills heavily overpaid for him and what he contributes on the field.

Signed a five-year, $17.5 million contract. The deal contains $5.5 million guaranteed, including a $3.5 million signing bonus. 2010: $2.7 million, 2011-2012: $2.75 million

yep :wallbash:

One of my concerns at OLB is where Nic Harris fits in. I love the guy but I wonder if he fits into this defense. He's already bulked up from college DB to pro linebacker. Now it would seem he'll need to bulk up even more to play in the 3-4.

I agree. like the guy, but doesnt really fit in. unless he goes back to SS ?

Mitchell will most likely be a swing man a backup at both OLB and MLB. He is big enough to go inside and if need be I think can do an OK job on the outside (More so on running downs) so Mitchell is really a guy that gives us depth something at LB that we didn't have last year.