Why it was good that Lynch wasn't traded...

Coach55

I was speaking with an NFL exec of another franchise and he gave me some insight on why it was actually better for Lynch not to be traded. If the Bills had traded him on draft day, we may have gotten a 3rd or 4th at best. However, if a premier back in the league gets hurt during training camp, preseason or early in the season, he would be highly sought after and would be worth a 1st or 2nd plus. Given the number of quality backs with not so quality backups, this may have been the right move to make.

Why would the Jets or Titans not have employed the same logic when they traded their excess running back baggage? Maybe they saw someone on available in the draft they really coveted? I can see it both ways, but if we could have moved Lynch and picked up the OT from Maryland, I would have called it a win win for both parties. As it is now, it's a gamble - either he will be worth more as Spiller holds out or get's hurt and we need him or no major injuries occur and he languishes on our bench, sulking, running over people in WNY and stealing money from cops' wives....

Same reason why Faneca should have held off on signing with the Cards...a lot can happen before September.

From ESPN... Faneca, released by the New York Jets last weekend, will receive a $300,000 signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonus, the source told Schefter. The $2.5 million base salary is fully guaranteed. He's also set to earn $5.25 million and a $118,000 workout bonus from the Jets. His total compensation is nearly $8 million for the season.

Yeah he definitely should've held off from signing.

From ESPN... Faneca, released by the New York Jets last weekend, will receive a $300,000 signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonus, the source told Schefter. The $2.5 million base salary is fully guaranteed. He's also set to earn $5.25 million and a $118,000 workout bonus from the Jets. His total compensation is nearly $8 million for the season.

Yeah he definitely should've held off from signing.

Yep, he was surely eating out of dumpsters before he signed with the Cards. :rolleyes:

The $2.9 million he'll get from Arizona is chump change for a playoff team in desperate need of OL help come the fall...

Why would the Jets or Titans not have employed the same logic when they traded their excess running back baggage? Maybe they saw someone on available in the draft they really coveted? I can see it both ways, but if we could have moved Lynch and picked up the OT from Maryland, I would have called it a win win for both parties. As it is now, it's a gamble - either he will be worth more as Spiller holds out or get's hurt and we need him or no major injuries occur and he languishes on our bench, sulking, running over people in WNY and stealing money from cops' wives....

lynch was far more productive than leon washington and has had better seasons than landwhale

In regards to his first two seasons, Lynch's talents equate to a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. His history of trouble lowers that value, but if a team isn't prepared to offer at the minimum what his talent level equates to (2nd round), then they can sniff around other rosters for young pro bowl talent. If you truly want Lynch, pony up fair compensation..

I was speaking with an NFL exec of another franchise and he gave me some insight on why it was actually better for Lynch not to be traded. If the Bills had traded him on draft day, we may have gotten a 3rd or 4th at best. However, if a premier back in the league gets hurt during training camp, preseason or early in the season, he would be highly sought after and would be worth a 1st or 2nd plus. Given the number of quality backs with not so quality backups, this may have been the right move to make.

You had me right up to there.....

In regards to his first two seasons, Lynch's talents equate to a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. His history of trouble lowers that value, but if a team isn't prepared to offer at the minimum what his talent level equates to (2nd round), then they can sniff around other rosters for young pro bowl talent. If you truly want Lynch, pony up fair compensation..

Maybe we trade him to someone for a player. I'd like to keep Lynch though, I'm not sold on Fred Jackson to be honest.

A large difference is that the Jets and Titans are contenders for the playoffs this year and could use even low picks to better fill remaining holes. The Bills are building for the long haul and even a thrid round pick next year probably represents better value for them than a 4th-6th this year. Even the hope of a better pick but having to settle for a 4th next year might be better, as the roster is likely to shake down a lot this year and their percived needs right now might be quite different going forward.

The Jets and Titans got crap for their rbs. They certainly aren't as good as Lynch but they don't have the baggage either.

My whole point was if a team doesn't blow you away wit han offer for Lynch, keep him. We arguably have the best rbs in the NFL, so why ruin a strength for a 4th rounder? No team has more injuries that us. Also, Gailey is supposedly a creative offensive guy. Why can't their be a formation where all 3 rbs are on the field?

Additionally, we owe nothign to Lynch. He screwed up. So the coaches need to go to him and say you need to work your @ss off or you will rot on the bench for the next 2 years. Good luck getting a new contract like that. Money motivates.

You don't trade 1st or second round picks for used RB's who aren't elite and have off field issues.

Sorry, Lynch is either going to be here, or he is going to get us very minimal in return.

Exactly.

Who trades a first for a RB?? When was this done last? Ricky? Walker? Dickerson? Lynch isn't nearly as good.

You got a link for that conversation, hmmmmm??? :wallbash:

+1