C.J. Spiller Youtube Highlights

I've answered that quesiton 100 times. Twice in this thread alone.

If they didn't think anyone was worth taking at 9 at any of their numerous positions of need, they should have traded back, gotten an extra pick or two and taken any number of the numerous players left.

I'm sure there are plenty of future probowl OL, LB, WR, DL who were picked after number 8 from this draft.

No you've avoided answering the question 100 times, twice, now three times in this thread alone.

The people still incessantly whining about Whitner being selected over Ngata(sp) know who they wanted to see taken. Position and player that they preferred defined by a NAME! They can make the argument years later because they can point to the difference in production between two easily identifiable players.

You just want to say anybody but the position and player taken would have been preferrable to what the front office did. You seem to want the option of coming back next year or the year after and saying; See, "Fill in the Blank" is starting at "Fill in the Blank" for the "Fill in the Blanks" We could have had him and Freddie would have scored 20 TD's instead of the 10 CJ scored.

That's a huge difference.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they didn't think anyone was worth taking at 9 at any of their numerous positions of need, they should have traded back, gotten an extra pick or two and taken any number of the numerous players left.

What if trading back wasn't an option? Because I don't think it was a real option. I don't think any teams were interested in the 9th pick, especially since most teams were targeting the mid round picks more, according to reports.

Also, I think spillar fills the need at WR more than Dez. We don't have a QB that can utilize a WR who takes a lot of times more than a year to develop. Spillar will probably become the number 1 recieving target or at least one of them. SPillar isn't just a running back, but a reciever as well. If spillar can help with the passing game a lot, wont that fill your dire need to up the passing game?

This team is not a player or two away. It will still be a few years until they are serious contenders to a world championship. By then F. Jackson will be too old, Marshawn will be in jail and the Bills will be thanking Buddy for drafting a non-need awesome value guy in Spiller.

All the more reason NOT to take a RB now.

CJ is 22 years old, will be 23 before his first NFL snap. Rookie Running Backs have the quickest turnaround from college to pro. Where WRs and OL tend to have a 3 year learning curve (and QBs just as long but for the exceptional ones), RBs can normally hit the ground ... uh-hum ... running from their first year. And they all seem to hit a giant, invisible wall at 30 where their production bottoms out.

So if we say the Bills are a franchise QB, LT, RT, 1 or 2 WRs away from having a legit offense, and this front office is going to build through the draft as they've said, then you're looking at 2 more drafts to fill those needs. At best. That means we have all the pieces together 3 years from now. Spiller will be 26 by then. It will take another 2 or 3 years for those guys to gel (worst case scenario), and Spiller will be 29-30 ... right at the mythical point where RBs fall off the face of the earth from wear and tear. Awesome.

So look at what Spiller really does. He sells tickets. That's what this pick really did. If you need proof, look around this board. People are thrilled with this pick because he brings some long overdue excitement to the franchise. But that doesn't mean it was the right pick.

Of course, this discounts the possibility of bringing in veteran players to man those spots ... and it's also discounting the possibility that there will be a lockout next year which will rob Spiller of one of his most productive years.

Again, if the Bills WERE one or two players away, then by all means take a gamble on Spiller. But they're not.

No you've avoided answering the question 100 times, twice, now three times in this thread alone.

The people still incessantly whining about Whitner being selected over Ngata(sp) know who they wanted to see taken. Position and player that they preferred defined by a NAME! They can make the argument years later because they can point to the difference in production between two easily identifiable players.

You just want to say anybody but the position and player taken would have been preferrable to what the front office did. You seem to want the option of coming back next year or the year after and saying; See, "Fill in the Blank" is starting at "Fill in the Blank" for the "Fill in the Blanks" We could have had him and Freddie would have scored 20 TD's instead of the 10 CJ scored.

That's a huge difference.

You're assumming I'm a douchebag who's just trying to prove he's right. I'm not. I don't care about being right or wrong, I care about the Bills winning the Super Bowl. Pride is for suckers.

And, I can't give you a name because, as I've said, I'm not a draft guru. But I would hope that the people being paid to scout for the Bills WOULD BE. And that, my friend, is my point. If I were the douchebag looking to point back in two years and say "I wanted XYZ all along" I wouldn't advertise my ignorance when it comes to scouting NFL prospects. Would I?

But I do know football. And I know the NFL. Because of that I know that there will be countless probowl players that come from this draft who were drafted well past number 8. And many of them will play OT, LB, WR, and DL. It's not my job to identify them, it's the front office's job. My point is that when you have this many holes you don't help your team win by adding to a position where you already have two impact players -- one of whom was the number 11 pick not more than 2 years ago.

What if trading back wasn't an option? Because I don't think it was a real option. I don't think any teams were interested in the 9th pick, especially since most teams were targeting the mid round picks more, according to reports.

Also, I think spillar fills the need at WR more than Dez. We don't have a QB that can utilize a WR who takes a lot of times more than a year to develop. Spillar will probably become the number 1 recieving target or at least one of them. SPillar isn't just a running back, but a reciever as well. If spillar can help with the passing game a lot, wont that fill your dire need to up the passing game?

Trading back was an option. There were plenty of teams that coveted Spiller because he is a dynamic player. The Bills didn't explore the option (based on how quickly they got their pick in and how giddy they were over getting Spiller post pick).

Of course that's just my opinion, but I haven't read or seen anything that leads me to believe otherwise.

Nix wanted Spiller. He got who he wanted. I just think his philosophy is almost prehistoric -- just like the past three regimes.

CJ is 22 years old, will be 23 before his first NFL snap. Rookie Running Backs have the quickest turnaround from college to pro. Where WRs and OL tend to have a 3 year leadning curve (and QBs just as long but for the exceptional ones), RBs can normally hit the ground ... uh-hum ... running from their first year. And they all seem to hit a giant, invisible wall at 30 where their production bottoms out.

So if we say the Bills are a franchise QB, LT, RT, 1 or 2 WRs away from having a legit offense, and this front office is going to build through the draft as they've said, then you're looking at 2 more drafts to fill those needs. At best. That means we have all the pieces together 3 years from now. Spiller will be 26 by then. It will take another 2 or 3 years for those guys to gel (worst case scenario), and Spiller will be 29-30 ... right at the mythical point where RBs fall off the face of the earth from wear and tear. Awesome.

So look at what Spiller really does. He sells tickets. That's what this pick really did.

Of course, this discounts the possibility of bringing in veteran players to man those spots ... and it's also discounting the possibility that there will be a lockout next year which will rob Spiller of one of his most productive years.

Again, if the Bills WERE one or two players away, then by all means take a gamble on Spiller. But they're not.

If they were worried about selling tickets they would have taken Clausen in the first or the second. This theory is even worse than the others.

Trading back was an option. There were plenty of teams that coveted Spiller because he is a dynamic player. The Bills didn't explore the option (based on how quickly they got their pick in and how giddy they were over getting Spiller post pick).

Of course that's just my opinion, but I haven't read or seen anything that leads me to believe otherwise.

Well, I didn't hear any team trying to get buffalo's spot. I don't think any team coveted him enough to move up to get him. There were reports of things like the eagles trying to move up as far as 12 and other teams and whatever. But no mention of the bills. I just don't think it was a real option unless they didn't want to get the value.

CJ is 22 years old, will be 23 before his first NFL snap. Rookie Running Backs have the quickest turnaround from college to pro. Where WRs and OL tend to have a 3 year learning curve (and QBs just as long but for the exceptional ones), RBs can normally hit the ground ... uh-hum ... running from their first year. And they all seem to hit a giant, invisible wall at 30 where their production bottoms out.

So look at what Spiller really does. He sells tickets. That's what this pick really did.

Wrong. A couple of years from now P. Manning and Brady will both be on their way out the door while the Bills should be on schedule to make a charge. If the Bills find their QB next year and solidify their o line, this team will have around a six year window to make some hay. All while Spiller will still be in his prime.

Please tell us who you would have taken at #9 instead of Spiller. You really should go on record now since you are so strongly against their pick.

Well, hopefully it doesn't take the Bills 7 years to contend. If all goes well (and I'm not sure it will), Spiller will be making plays for a playoff team in Year 3.

You're assumming I'm a douchebag who's just trying to prove he's right. I'm not. I don't care about being right or wrong, I care about the Bills winning the Super Bowl. Pride is for suckers.

And, I can't give you a name because, as I've said, I'm not a draft guru. But I would hope that the people being paid to scout for the Bills WOULD BE. And that, my friend, is my point. If I were the douchebag looking to point back in two years and say "I wanted XYZ all along" I wouldn't advertise my ignorance when it comes to scouting NFL prospects. Would I?

But I do know football. And I know the NFL. Because of that I know that there will be countless probowl players that come from this draft who were drafted well past number 8. And many of them will play OT, LB, WR, and DL. It's not my job to identify them, it's the front office's job. My point is that when you have this many holes you don't help your team win by adding to a position where you already have two impact players -- one of whom was the number 11 pick not more than 2 years ago.

Nix wanted Spiller. He got who he wanted. I just think his philosophy is almost prehistoric -- just like the past three regimes.

If you knew football and knew the NFL, you would understand that there are many many ways to win. When you are narrow minded and focus on one way, you trap yourself into aquiring only certain types of players. You also do disservice to the talent on your team that doesn't fit your exact formula.

The secret to this game is aquiring the best players and finding a way to deploy them effectively. The Vikings spent a first rounder on Percy Harvin last year despite having Peterson and Taylor, not too mention a whole lot of holes on defense. He flourished in that system and they found ways to utilize him. The Steelers pick LBs every year despite having arguably the best LBs in the league already. Trust me, the Steelers have alot of glaring holes this offseason.

Screw the formulas and just draft the best player. After that you make your adjustments accordingly.

As I've said before, I don't know who the right pick would be because I'm not a draft guru. But I do know that taking a RB when your team has this many holes is the wrong pick. Especially when you already have not one but TWO 1,000 yard rushers on the roster. Throw in the fact that RBs are overvalued in the NFL (you can find RBs anywhere who can put up enough yards to win), tying up more cap space on this overvalued position is insane and, in my opinion, makes me very suspect that Nix is not the savior we all hoped. But instead more of the same.

If they didn't think there was anyone worth taking at 9 then they should have traded back for MORE picks and picked up any of the other players who could help. Are you telling me that there are going to be ZERO probowl players to come out of this draft picked after #8 who play either OT, DL, WR, or LB? None? Because if you are, and can prove it, then I'm fine with the Spiller pick. But since that is insane, I'm not.

Spiller was a flashy pick. That's all. You don't need a superstar RB to win in the modern NFL. That's why this is an awful, awful pick, no matter how good he becomes.

I disagree with it being an awful pick. I was a fan of them trading back in the draft and getting more picks to fill holes, but if a guy is too good to pass up, I say take him. C.J. Spiller in their minds was too good to pass up. How he does this year and upcoming years will tell us how good he really is.

At that point in the draft, in all likelihood, he was the best player still available. The only players I would have taken ahead of him were Bradford and Okung....Suh if we were still in a 4-3.

I respect your opinion, I'm just saying taking the best available prospect at QB, WR, OT, NT when the Bills picked at 9 were not as good of prospects as Spiller.

Has anyone compared CJ Spiller's highlight package to ECU's Chris Johnson? Spiller in fact looks faster and is doing it against better competition! Will this translate into being a better player than Chris Johnson? God I hope so! He could also become the next Reggie Bush - which would suck. I was thinking about how he is distinguishably different than Bush and I'm not sure. The draft write ups didn't say that he ran b/w the tackles all that much and Johnson is definitely money b/w the tackles...

I have no doubt he'll make some highlight video plays in his career. And I'll love every one of them.

But you can't convince me that he was the right pick at 9.

Put it another way. If, before the draft, you were told that we could have Chris Johnson (who everyone wants to compair spiller to) for our first round pick, knowing that Marshawn and Jackson would not be moved for picks during the draft, how many people would have been on board with that?

Not many. And he's proven what he can do on the field already.

I'll go on record saying that if Tennessee called and offered us Chris Johnson for our #1 ... I would take it in a heartbeat. Move Lynch now or later or never ... doesn't matter. If I was guaranteed to receive a young, highly productive player for a #1, I do it every time.

If we were hoping for a 2nd - 3rd for Lynch ... Johnson is worth at least a #1.

Has anyone compared CJ Spiller's highlight package to ECU's Chris Johnson? Spiller in fact looks faster and is doing it against better competition! Will this translate into being a better player than Chris Johnson? God I hope so! He could also become the next Reggie Bush - which would suck. I was thinking about how he is distinguishably different than Bush and I'm not sure. The draft write ups didn't say that he ran b/w the tackles all that much and Johnson is definitely money b/w the tackles...

Some of the highlights show him breaking tackles, running thru crowds of defenders. He'll be great between the tackles. He is really a north south runner, I love that about him.

Fred Jackson was a difference maker in 09. He was the best player on the team.

Lynch was drafted to be a difference maker with the 11th pick in 07. And we've given up on him already? Just like we did with Willis. Just like we did with Travis. Just like we did with Antwain Smith.

So what happens in '12 when we give up on Spiller and draft the next "waterbug" RB with a high first round pick?

Taking a RB in the first round is stupid unless you're a player away from a super bowl. The Bills clearly aren't. That's the bottom line.

You know what, we are probably 10 players away from a superbowl so why not take the most exciting player to help jump start this offense. He's going to make a bigger difference than the 3rd rated left tackle or whoever it is you wanted the bills to pick. You say you're not a draft expert so you don't know who we should of grabbed. well our new guys wanted to pic this player. Mel Kiper doesnt pic our team. we have a new GM and headcoach to do that. I think you are way off on this subject and so do many readers here. give it up already. he's on your team now, why don't you just jump on the bandwagon cuz the stuff that continually comes out of your mouth is just very depressing. You are what I would call a "buzz kill."

Every time I watch those highlights, I get excited about the season and what he can do for us.

He has a combination of speed and balance that makes fools out of defenders.

I really believe that he is going to create a lot of mismatches the way that Thurman did in both the running and passing game.