Gints apparently wanted Moats

Beerball

Says he received a call from them.

Plus a blogosphere person who likes the Bills draft.

The Giants called James Madison DE Arthur Moats early in the sixth round and told him they’d be selecting him with their next pick. At least that’s what Moats wrote in his final blog entry for JBScouting.com. The only problem? They held pick No. 184 and the Bills (who, by the way, had themselves a heck of a draft, IMO) had No. 178.

This could well be a repeat...sorry if it is.

The author champions our draft as well.

The Giants called James Madison DE Arthur Moats early in the sixth round and told him they’d be selecting him with their next pick. At least that’s what Moats wrote in his final blog entry for JBScouting.com. The only problem? They held pick No. 184 and the Bills (who, by the way, had themselves a heck of a draft, IMO) had No. 178. Buffalo took Moats and the Giants went with LB Adrian Tracy. Maybe that’s for the best because sixth-round DEs (Eric Moore in 2005 and Robert Henderson in 2008) haven’t worked out so well for the Giants of late.

I just want to say I like his upside, FWIW.

He has some good company as a former Buck Buchanon Award winner-Dexter Coakley (95,96), Edgerton Hartwell (2000), Rashean Mathis (2002), Jared Allen (2003), and Chris Gocong (2006). That's some nice talent for Division 1 football.

Anyone know how successful other teams have been with transitioning a college DE to an ILB in a 3-4? Doesn't sound like it happens often...

Terrell Suggs and DeMarcus Ware are probably the 2 best recent examples. I think Joey Porter was a DE in college as well.

Anyone know how successful other teams have been with transitioning a college DE to an ILB in a 3-4? Doesn't sound like it happens often...

The Steelers have done it with Timmons and Harrison most recently, putting them at ILB first and then OLB on passing downs. I think we'll do the same with Moats.

As a pass rusher, doesn't Moats seem like a better fit at OLB? Did I understand Nix and Gailey that they were going to use Moats at ILB and use Bratten at OLB?

I think I read where his agent was saying the Bills wanted him at ILB. I don't remember seeing any comment from the Bills other than Linebacker.

From his final blog entry;

I walked away and later on my phone started ringing. The Giants called and said they were going to pick me next and then the Falcons called and said they were about to trade up to pick me also. Buffalo had been trying to call my phone and could not get to me. They called my mother and she starts yelling and said they are trying to get me. I hang up on Atlanta and talk to Buffalo.

The Falcons were even willing to move up and get him?!!!

Looks like a good pick.

He will be playing ILB; Link

Bills college scout, Tom Roth, gave rave reviews of the James Madison product, primarily regarding his character. A call to the defender just days before the draft gave Roth a lasting impression of Moats’ dedication.

“I called him and I actually heard weights in the background,” Roth said. “A lot of guys, they’re enjoying the last couple days before the draft. It tells you about the kid’s character. He’s going to work.

“He was one of my favorite players all year. The stats don’t lie. Sometimes you read the stats, you watch the film, and you don’t see that. But for him you see it all. Just the motor, the passion he plays with. He’s explosive, fast. I love this guy.”

And as for the move to inside linebacker, Roth believes while that might be his best fit he has the versatility as a pass rusher to play on the edge as well.

“Initially, I think he’s going to be inside,” said Roth. “Right off the bat he’s going to be on coverage teams until he gets more familiar, you know, with the inside position. But he has pass rush ability too. He’s got all the tools to make it.”