The QB with the most job security is Fitzpatrick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back-up QB is always the most popular (and ususally safest) position on the team.

Good analysis of the situation. I think Edwards has to be a clear cut winner over the other two holdovers, otherwise he's gone. He can't win close. Too much baggage.

What is the "Baggage". Perry Fewell chose to cast his chances with Fitz and so be it....Chan is going to let the best player win the shot...

Edwards started well against NE and Tampa....But with that insane OL, there was no chance to succeed...

Guest dog14787
Example of what? How to suck? <_<

The Buffalo Bills FO/management/Coaching/ all of TE's supporting cast sucked including and most of all, TO's fat head, but I'm sure you realize as much.

Any QB will suck without protection and I'm sure you realize that as well so sure, if it makes you happy,

TE sucked along with the rest of the team who also sucked just fine without him. <_<

Guest dog14787
Ummmmmm.....beg to differ. I was at all of the home games except the snowbowl. They WERE open most of the time.

From a birds eye view I'm sure they were, but how many of them times was the QB flushed out of the pocket and on the move.

Folks have labeled Fitzpatrick an inaccurate QB which is also partly to do with poor protection in my opinion. Its allot different when a QB can stand in the pocket with confidence, set and deliver then when he has to be moving constantly to avoid getting pummeled into the turf.

What is the "Baggage". Perry Fewell chose to cast his chances with Fitz and so be it....Chan is going to let the best player win the shot...

Edwards started well against NE and Tampa....But with that insane OL, there was no chance to succeed...

The baggage is lack of confidence, perceived or real; from the fans, the coaching staff and this team mates. Not to mention his own lack of confidence.

I'm not saying that's all on him. Most of us wouldn't have gotten up from the hit he took in St. Louis. I also am very cognizant of the organizational dissary that he has had to deal with. But the bottom line is your QB needs to be the face and swagger of the team. Your team mates need to know that you can stand tall no matter what the circumstances. Trent hasn't had any swagger since the 2008 game in St. Louis. So if he can't show he can be head and shoulders above Brohm, then its time for a change of scenery for both him and the Bills.

I agree alot with the OP, good post.

Agree about Fitz, he is your backup almost a lock to make the team. Levi Brown is the Practice squad lock unless he shows out his ass during training camp.

The starting job is really between Edwards and Brohm IMO . The loser will get cut. I hope Brohm wins it because Edwards has lost the locker room and that is awful hard to get back.

An expert on the Bills locker room speaks!!

Guest dog14787

Nix/Gailey put the QB position low on their list of priorities and that tells me they like our group of QB's

Since Brohm is an unknown and Fitzpatrick didn't exactly instill confidence with his play last season my guess is Chan Gailey likes what Trent Edwards brings to the table. Despite TE's rocky start Gailey probably intends on giving him a chance to redeem himself which by the way if true, sells me on our new FO/management/coaching and the direction our club is going.

This is all pure speculation on my part and you guys know how I feel about TE, but he deserves a second chance in my opinion with a coaching staff and FO thats in sync with one another and seems to know what the hell their doing for a change.

From a birds eye view I'm sure they were, but how many of them times was the QB flushed out of the pocket and on the move.

I'm with cablelady. I've been to games with TE playing and there were guys open he just didn't throw to. How many times did you hear announcers on TV say that guys were open TE wouldn't throw it to him? I know I've heard Jaws and Rich Gannon make these comments.

Fitz is the best we got and he will be the opening days starter come September. He's a leader and has confidence and the players have condfidence in him. And, he'll out hustle everyone else at St. John Fish.

Nix/Gailey put the QB position low on their list of priorities and that tells me they like our group of QB's

Since Brohm is an unknown and Fitzpatrick didn't exactly instill confidence with his play last season my guess is Chan Gailey likes what Trent Edwards brings to the table. Despite TE's rocky start Gailey probably intends on giving him a chance to redeem himself which by the way if true, sells me on our new FO/management and the direction our club is going.

This is all pure speculation on my part and you guys know how I feel about TE, but he deserves a second chance in my opinion with a coaching staff and FO thats in sync with one another and seems to know what the hell their doing for a change.

I don't at all think that it means they are happy with what they got. ALL that it means is that they didn't see a QB in free agency, or outside of Sam Bradford, that they thought they would risk their jobs being their "franchise QB". And I agree with them.

I might have taken Clausen myself (without, of course, seeing him more than a handful of times or any film on him or any interviews or any discussions with people who know him) -- but I wouldn't risk my job that he was going to be a franchise QB, and that's what they would have done had they drafted him or McCoy, who I definitely would have stayed away from.

I think they all three are on the team. Brown ends up on the practice squad. However Edwards is at the most risk. You know what you have with Fitz and I think Gailey will like his mobility. Brohm has that "what if" factor that keeps him around. Edwards, you know what you have so you know what your losing.

Edwards is the heavy favorite to start, so how can he have the most to risk? The only "what if" factor Brohm has is the "What If" he hadn't been a draft bust. It really doesn't matter, without drafting a QB and a quality LT, as was said in Rotoworld, the Bills are "punting away" the 2010 season anyway.

Ummmmmm.....beg to differ. I was at all of the home games except the snowbowl. They WERE open most of the time.

Yeah, it's pretty bad when even the announcers were saying players were open.

At one point last year, during an after game press conference, Jauron mentioned there were opportunities in the passing game that were never taken.

During this off season, even Trent mentioned missing open receivers.

Of course, Trent tried to blame the previous coaching staff for "mixed signals". Amazingly, Fitzpatrick, with the same coaching staff and players, did NOT have said "mixed signal" problems.

Edwards is the heavy favorite to start, so how can he have the most to risk? The only "what if" factor Brohm has is the "What If" he hadn't been a draft bust. It really doesn't matter, without drafting a QB and a quality LT, as was said in Rotoworld, the Bills are "punting away" the 2010 season anyway.

I disagree with Edwards being a heavy favorite to start. The Chan said its an open season at QB. Levi Brown might start for all we know.

They maybe able to get an upgrade at LT after the training camp cuts. All I know is it's way to early to say they have giving up on the season before the OTA's even.

Guest dog14787
I see you saw what I saw.

If I were Lee Evens I would sue TE for not having Lasik eye surgery to correct his eyes.

What, E-xray vision like Superman

You can't see through defenders and once the QB is flushed all timing goes out the window. I'm sure you all do see the same thing sitting in the stands, why wouldn't you.

You have to be standing in the QB's shoes to know what he see's and I say this from years of experience looking through a transit. From up above you see a receiver wide open and a QB that should see him, from his level players are flying around in front of him and unless he's 6' 7" he's not always going to going see his receivers, especially on a broken play.

Another thing folks seem to forget is a longer ball going back across the middle involves the QB stopping, turning and setting himself before he throws. When you run or scramble in one direction in many cases you can throw the other side of the field right out the window regardless if a WR is standing there wide open or not.

Its not as easy as it looks from above unless your John friggin Elway or have a cannon of an arm like Brett Favre.

What, E-xray vision like Superman

You can't see through defenders and once the QB is flushed all timing goes out the window. I'm sure you all do see the same thing sitting in the stands, why wouldn't you.

You have to be standing in the QB's shoes to know what he see's and I say this from years of experience looking through a transit. From up above you see a receiver wide open and a QB that should see him, from his level players are flying around in front of him and unless he's 6' 7" he's not always going to going see his receivers, especially on a broken play.

Another thing folks seem to forget is a longer ball going back across the middle involves the QB stopping, turning and setting himself before he throws. When you run or scramble in one direction in many cases you can throw the other side of the field right out the window regardless if a WR is standing there wide open or not.

Its not as easy as it looks from above unless your John friggin Elway or have a cannon of an arm like Brett Favre.

Your making up excuses.

Aaron Rodgers line in Green Bay sucked at the beginning of the season but he still made plays.

Drew Brees is what 6'1 at best? He can throw over the line just fine.

I know QB is not an easy job. But if you suck you suck and Trent has regressed instead of getting better. And we play in the AFC east where all the teams play the 3-4 and Trent still cant figure it out after 3 yrs.

Last month I asked Can Chan save Edwards. Look it up it got lots of replies. I have my doubts and still do. If Chan can make Edwards a better QB then mark him down as coach of the year right the !@#$ now.

Guest dog14787
I don't at all think that it means they are happy with what they got. ALL that it means is that they didn't see a QB in free agency, or outside of Sam Bradford, that they thought they would risk their jobs being their "franchise QB". And I agree with them.

I might have taken Clausen myself (without, of course, seeing him more than a handful of times or any film on him or any interviews or any discussions with people who know him) -- but I wouldn't risk my job that he was going to be a franchise QB, and that's what they would have done had they drafted him or McCoy, who I definitely would have stayed away from.

I hear you , but I think its a combination of them both and not drafting or having zero interest Tebow spoke volumes in my opinion.

I don't get all of the love for fitz. Aside from the few bombs he threw, he looked like a chicken with his head cut off.

At least he isn't the kitty Edwards is. Edwards has Zero shot at the job if they really want to open the competition up

My opinion: Fitz is gone but should not be because he can offer what Brown and Brohm cannot. Who wants Brohm or Edwards (assuming one of the two starts and Fitz is gone) coming in as a backup? Who can imagine Brown being ready to come in against the Patriots 14-10 in the third when our starting QB gets knocked out? Fitz is comfortable with the backup role, keep him as backup and cut Brohm. I know he's got some upside, but we do not need upside, we need longevity at QB not a 2 or 3 year project.