We're not going to be a good team in 2010

Franchise QB's are found only on the top 3 picks in the draft? Tell that to Montana, Brady, or even 1st round picks like Kelly and Marino? Romo went undrafted....

Utter failure to address O-line? The tackles they liked were already gone so Spiller to them was the obvious choice. Take a very talented guy, or pass on him for a "need" pick that you're not really sold on? Nix spoke about this after the draft.

Again, Nix wasn't splashy enough for you it. Fine, we got it. I like what Nix said shortly after being hired as GM and that was that he drafted "football players", not workout warriors or the biggest "names". He watches tape. He and his scouts watch kids play.

Personally, I would have gone Clausen in Rd2, but Nix and Gailey clearly were not sold on him. We'll see how it plays out though as it appears that we did get help for the DL, which we SORELY needed., so my initial disappointed as subsided a bit.

Maybe they will be able to pull out a silk purse from the sows we believe we have at QB now.

To me you dont need any further evidence of what Nix is doing is when he kept passing on Bruce Campbell....he was there for our pick several times but we didn't take him

- Extremely athletic

- such a huge need for us

cant play worth a damn

To me you dont have to look for any further evidence of this is when Buffalo kept passing on Bruce Campbell

- Extremely athletic

- LT was such a huge need for us

- Cant play worth a damn

i agree with adam, i believe they wanted an elite talent that can change the face of the game at 9, not just a role-player

Inserting Mcnabb this year would have been a rerun of what happened when we got Bledsoe. You just cant fast-forward through a rebuilding process.

JMHO

And yet ... this is exactly what Nix and Gailey tried to do. They tried to trade for McNabb.

The question is whether they know how to build a team. Based on the off season so far, the answer is cloudy at best, no at worst.

Franchise QB's are found only on the top 3 picks in the draft? Tell that to Montana, Brady, or even 1st round picks like Kelly and Marino? Romo went undrafted....

Utter failure to address O-line? The tackles they liked were already gone so Spiller to them was the obvious choice. Take a very talented guy, or pass on him for a "need" pick that you're not really sold on? Nix spoke about this after the draft.

Again, Nix wasn't splashy enough for you it. Fine, we got it. I like what Nix said shortly after being hired as GM and that was that he drafted "football players", not workout warriors or the biggest "names". He watches tape. He and his scouts watch kids play.

Personally, I would have gone Clausen in Rd2, but Nix and Gailey clearly were not sold on him. We'll see how it plays out though as it appears that we did get help for the DL, which we SORELY needed., so my initial disappointed as subsided a bit.

Maybe they will be able to pull out a silk purse from the sows we believe we have at QB now.

Try reading my post, I never once said this draft wasn't "splashy enough" for me. The Spiller pick was ALL splash. This front office once again went with flash over substance. Just like they did with Willis, just like they did with JP and Travis Henry before them.

I'm sorry, but when your team is as bad as Buffalo is and you have so many holes to fill, you cannot waste a pick on the one position where you already have two 1000 yard rushers. Not one. Two.

If Nix cared about building the team, he would have traded back, picked up more picks, addressed the OLine in the later stages of round 1, kept the rest of the draft the same (with 1 or 2 extra players from the trade back) and the team would be in far better shape.

But instead, he went flashy, just like Donahoe did, just like Levy did. The Spiller pick was a bad pick no matter how "fast" he is.

Try reading my post. The Spiller pick was ALL splash.

I'm sorry, but when your team is as bad as Buffalo is and you have so many holes to fill, you cannot waste a pick on the one position where you already have two 1000 yard rushers. Not one. Two.

If Nix cared about building the team, he would have traded back, picked up more picks, addressed the OLine in the later stages of round 1, kept the rest of the draft the same (with 1 or 2 extra players from the trade back) and the team would be in far better shape.

But instead, he went flashy, just like Donahoe did, just like Levy did. The Spiller pick was a bad pick no matter how "fast" he is.

Like Chan Gailey stated, what team doesn't need a guy like Spiller...

Three teams come to mind that have a player as talented as Spiller, Cowboys with Felix Jones, Saints with Reggie Bush, Titans with Chris Johnson.

The Bills drafted the most explosive player in the draft, no question, a play maker who can help the team move the flags and score. He can be used as a WR on the outside, in the slot, and RB. Yea I know they already have 2 good RB's in Jackson and Lynch, all 3 are different in their own way. Lynch is the power back, Jackson is elusive and Spiller has the speed.

Obviously this coaching staff must feel they have enough young talent on the O line and they just need to keep them healthy with the proper conditioning, and give them better training while letting them get more experience.

Think I'll wait and see how this new coaching staff sets up an offense and then runs it before I condemn what they have done so far.

First I disagree completely with the Bills being a poor team next season...we already had an effective running game last season...I know people will trash it all day long, but the fact of the matter is that we failed to run the ball enough....we averaged 4.4 ypc last season and that is GOOD...we just didn't run the ball thanks to an inexperienced OC and a VERY experienced TO...Gailey runs the ball often and with the likes of Lynch, Jackson, and Spiller???? c'mon...we could EASILY be a top five rushing offense...our ST looks like we'll have the best return game in the NFL...our Kicking game is strong...and day three in the draft we added kids that can cover those deep punts...very solid...

Defense...3-4's are generally more effective schemes than 4-3's against the run...we had a very good pass defense last season...our secondary is another very good strength on this team...we were second only to NO if I'm not mistaken in interceptions...our front seven got a WHOLE lot bigger after this draft...we have a beefy 3-4 downlinemen set up....Edwards, Troup, Stroud....our LB's got depth from this draft and while I am skeptical about our edge pass rushers...I believe they will be at least mediocre...our interior with Poz/Davis/Mitchell is very strong...we will DEFINITELY be stronger against the run this season...and just because of the blitz packages we will have a better pass rush....

So how is this looking bad so far...great running game, above average defense, great special teams......OHHHHHHHHHHH...you're one of those QB guys...

IMHO Edwards is good enough to run this offense...and Levi Brown...down the road will impress Buffalo...I like Levi Brown ALOT...

Try reading my post, I never once said this draft wasn't "splashy enough" for me. The Spiller pick was ALL splash. This front office once again went with flash over substance. Just like they did with Willis, just like they did with JP and Travis Henry before them.

They needed to sell hope just like last year with TO. The Bills are marketing geniuses

If this team is built up in 2 years, Spiller will still be here. So, drafting for your primary need in 2010 made very little sense when 2010 is most likely a throw away year . You can't overcome a decade of mediocrity in one off-season. Hopefully RW is patient enough with Nix, and hopefully Gailey turns out to be the right coach for this team.

What do you mean primary need?

Fred Jackson is a better RB but not as good a returner. Otherwise Spiller fills the same exact "need" as Jackson, who was a diamond in the rough.

But let's not forget that even with the Levy/DJ teams, each of the last three years, they were 5-10 bad coaching plays and 5-10 injuries away from winning 3-4 more games per season... even with the confusion offense & Tampon-2. Anything can happen. I think this team can be competitive.

Agreed, we won't set the woods on fire but as long as we are competitive and moving in the right direction I can be content, for now.

Who knows if they'll be any good in 2010? Nobody.

They might not win a game or they might win 10.

Nobody knows what a brand-new bunch of coaches are going to do with all the new players (let alone some of the talented old ones), how the 3-4 will stop the run better, how Edwards will perform this year, how Spiller's speed will translate to TDs and wins.

All i know is it just feels different and that is something to look forward to. No Levy, no Jauron, no Turk, no Doughboy, no Perry.

I am not usually a kool-aid drinkers, but hey, if you can't be excited in April, then when? I don't understand those who have already given up.

Fred Jackson is a better RB but not as good a returner. Otherwise Spiller fills the same exact "need" as Jackson, who was a diamond in the rough.

That's like saying a N.Y. Strip and Lobster fill the same need. They do, but...... I love everything about Jackson but think Spiller will be a great change of pace so put me down for the surf and turf.

To the OP...good post and I think alot of people agree with you on OBD.

The Bills have yet to bottom out. Meaning a 3-13 or a 4 -12 year. Nobody wants to see that kind of year but it could happen this year. They are retooling the roster and I think we may have a whole new D-line this year. I think the following players are in danger of not being on the roster opening day...

Schobel...retired

Ellison.....too small

Stroud...past his prime

McCargo...sucks

Kelsey.... a shame but he is NOT a LB

Edwards...sucks

Parrish....needs a new team

If these guys are gone we finally in true rebuilding mode. It's long overdue and I for one think Buddy can make them a bigger and stronger team. And it is gonna take time. Buddy said so himself. My starting D looks like this...

LDE...Edwards

RDE..Carrington

NT Williams or Troup

LOLB Maybin

LILB Poz

RILB Davis

ROLB Mitchel

SS Wilson

FS Bryd

LCB McGee

RCB McKelvin

This should make us better against the run. We have a great secondary but they have to learn how to stop teams from running the ball down our throats. That the key to the season right? Im sure Buddy saw us being pushed around on D last year. The draft saw us get bigger except for Spiller. I will give Buddy the benefit of doubt for not just this year but the next draft as well.

Wow, i couldnt have said it better myself....except i do live in western NY.

I love the "odd curiosity" term....This team was a great passion of mine for many years, now i feel like i only watch and follow them due to some obligation because i live here. They have ripped out of me all the love i had for the team. Sad

I love drama queen posts like this. It's entertainment. Follow the team because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy following the team, there's no reason to watch them. I've been following this team through the glory years and the bad years, spent a lot of money on it, and all of it has been fun. Granted, nobody likes to see their favorite team lose, but I sure don't feel like something has been "ripped out of me" when it happens.

We haven't been a good team for 15 years...what else is new? The Buffalo Bills are a joke. I now follow this team as an odd curiosity, but I'm not the fan I once was (for most of my life). Thasnk God I don't live in Buffalo.

Oh well...

Get OUT and NEVER COME BACK....

No disrespect..... and to preface, I wanted Oher last year and Bulaga this year, but Spiller is a touchdown maker and Jackson is the first down maker. Pujols vs. Bobby Abreu

i hate to place to much emphasis on one game....but our home opener against the Dolphins pretty much will define the season......if we lose, the season is all but over, if we can't beat them at home, we are not winning a single division game. i doubt we win wk#2 at Packers, wk#3 at Pats, wk#4 Jets. our next best chance to win is wk#5 Jax. other possible wins are KC, Det & Cle. we might only be favored to win in 4 of our games.

i love what Nix is doing, but i will say two things.....

#1- the hole Nix has to dig us out of is enormous.

#2- every other AFC East foe improved MORE than we did (draft, trades and free agent signings).

ANd the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll probably be willing to give Buddy Nix the benefit of the doubt on this draft.

Jauron and Levy left this team void of talent. Our 2006 first round draft pick has been rumored to be on the trade block, our other one can't get on the field. Our 2007 first round draft pick is now 3rd string, and rumored to be on the trade block.

McKelvin looks promising when healthy, and Maybin too early to tell.

But the point remains, Levy and Jauron tried to base this team around smaller speedy guys, and now Nix and Gailey are forced to retool this entire roster with adequate sized players.

I think Nix and Gailey understand this team is probably not going to be in the mix this year, and they need to fix whats wrong under the hood before they worry about the paint job. They had a top 10 pick, and instead of doing what Levy did EVERYTIME, picking a player who fit the number 1 need, Nix took the absolute best player available. How can you fault him for that?

If this team is built up in 2 years, Spiller will still be here. So, drafting for your primary need in 2010 made very little sense when 2010 is most likely a throw away year . You can't overcome a decade of mediocrity in one off-season. Hopefully RW is patient enough with Nix, and hopefully Gailey turns out to be the right coach for this team.

<_<

i hate to place to much emphasis on one game....but our home opener against the Dolphins pretty much will define the season......if we lose, the season is all but over, if we can't beat them at home, we are not winning a single division game. i doubt we win wk#2 at Packers, wk#3 at Pats, wk#4 Jets. our next best chance to win is wk#5 Jax. other possible wins are KC, Det & Cle. we might only be favored to win in 4 of our games.

i love what Nix is doing, but i will say two things.....

#1- the hole Nix has to dig us out of is enormous.

#2- every other AFC East foe improved MORE than we did (draft, trades and free agent signings).

Hilarious mixed metaphor. Hope he isn't really still digging. We need leadership that's looking to climb out of the pit we're in.

ANd the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll probably be willing to give Buddy Nix the benefit of the doubt on this draft.

Jauron and Levy left this team void of talent. Our 2006 first round draft pick has been rumored to be on the trade block, our other one can't get on the field. Our 2007 first round draft pick is now 3rd string, and rumored to be on the trade block.

But the point remains, Levy and Jauron tried to base this team around smaller speedy guys, and now Nix and Gailey are forced to retool this entire roster with adequate sized players.

I think Nix and Gailey understand this team is probably not going to be in the mix this year, and they need to fix whats wrong under the hood before they worry about the paint job. They had a top 10 pick, and instead of doing what Levy did EVERYTIME, picking a player who fit the number 1 need, Nix took the absolute best player available. How can you fault him for that?

Yep. Fixing 20 leaks with 9 stop leaks is impossible. Especially when a few of the 9 stop leaks aren't guaranteed to hold. But it's a start.

And it looks like a pretty good one

I think all your points are very valid. On the other hand, the 2009 team somehow finished 6-10 and the 2010 schedule looks a lot easier to me than 2009... so it's possible that the Bills could struggle with what you suggest above and still be able to improve record-wise.

man I can't even comprehend this. I bleed red white and blue. The buffalo bills are my favorite team, win or lose. And always will be( unless they move that is, then i reserve judgement to change my mind). what is it with fairweather fans?

Hey Bud, I mean no disrespect to the city I grew up in and love. I still visit thee every year for hunting season. I'm glad I don't live there because I see how much passion those who do have only to get b*tched slapped again year after year. I saw OJ play in the Rockpile with my Dad and will cherish those memories for the rest of my life.

I feel bad for the people of Buffalo because you deserve better. But make no mistake, I'm not an apologist either. My comment about being glad I no longer live there has helped me to see there's better things to do with my Sunday's (I live in San Diego) instead of watching a loser football team. You know the old saying- Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me fifteen years shame on me.

Don't take this personally. But some probably will. If being a fan for the better part of 42 years and having you Bullschit meter pegged is being a fair weather fan, then you've got me dead to rights.

All that stated, I love C.J. Spiller and think will be an exceptional player, but is that really what we needed with our first round pick? Or is that the wisest use of our pick given our needs?

For those of you who can't handle the truth F**k off back at you.

I'm just sayin...

I don't think any (rational) fan of the Bills ever thought this years team was going to be a playoff contender or even a .500 club. Fact is this team has a serious dearth in talent, a brand new offensive and defensive scheme\philosophy. It takes a good team a season, if not two to completely buy into a new scheme -- so expecting a very raw and untalented roster to do it in one off season is unrealistic and unfair. Fact? So Stroud, Schoebel, Jackson, Poz, K.Williams, Evans, McGee, McKelvin, Byrd, Whitner, Wood, Lindell & Moorman wouldn't start on ANY other team? I disagree.

However, the question you should be asking is whether this rebuilding project has better architects than the past three or if its just more of the same. The Spiller pick to me is a huge red flag that this front office is just the same as before -- ie clueless about how to properly build a wining foundation. Taking a RB, no matter how good, at 9 is stupid. Stupid? Adding a player who's a threat to score on every play won't help this offense? I disagree.

I'm sorry. Its even worse when that RB isn't going to be an every down player and will split carries with not one, but TWO other 1,000 yard rushers.

The rest of the draft was muddled for me. It appears they focused on shoring up the defensive front 7 which was long over due. However, I don't claim to know enough about the players they picked to say that they upgraded with Kyle Williams type talent (yes, he had an awesome year last year) or if they got a bunch of Chris Ellises and John McCargos. If they hadn't blown the first pick so spectacularly I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But now I'm a bit suspect albeit optimistic.

Still, the utter failure to address the OLine (not impressed with Wang or the other G they got) See previous bold -you say you don't know enough about them. You 'know' all the O picks but none of the D? Let's go out on a limb and pretend Nix/Gailey do.. is silly. Especially when they could have traded back from 9, picked up one of the better OTs (like the guy who went at the start of round 2 to the Rams) AND gotten another pick is just sheer stupidity to me. I'm fine with not taking a QB if they didn't feel that there was a legit franchise guy there. That's fine. But you can't convince me that Wang is going to be a day one starter which means our starting OLine is perhaps the worst in the NFL now. In fact it got worse over the off season w Butlers retirement. Bell, Levitre, Wood, Handgarter, and Green? Awesome.

So now, best case scenario the Front Office has fixed the defensive line this off season. That's all. That still leaves huge holes on the OL, WR corps, LB corps and a franchise QB. I know its impossible to fix everything in one off season but I don't think its unfair to expect the front office to try to fix TWO or THREE of the issues.

The only way we are going to find a Franchise QB is to have a top 3 pick in the draft. I doubt that will happen. But even if it did, they'd still need serious help at OT, LB and WR meaning they'd have just as many holes to fill NEXT year.

I'm sorry that's not pessimism. That's the truth Not even the truth, by your own reasoning. Not knowing much about the players drafted and suggesting that adding a game breaker is 'Stupid' is hardly truth... So I can't blame people who are upset with this offseason. Not because they expected to win now but because they expected the front office to address more than just one of the dozens of holes on this team. They simply can't go one hole at a timr.

You certainly don't have to be ecstatic about this draft, but claiming that it was clueless, stupid and an utter failure as 'Truth' when you acknowledge little insight about the players says much more about you than your thesis.

perhaps the Bills felt Bell is now ready to be their LT. After all, he really did need more time to develop. Hopefully, with some playing experience and an offseason to get stronger, he can be at least an average starting LT. He does has all the physical gifts to do it. Wang could also be ready next year or two.

I think the Bills are on a 2 year plan. They are rebuilding the team over couple of drafts, as they should. You don't build a solid long-term team over night.

Next year is the year to get a franchise QB. There could be 6 qb's drafted in the 1st round. This year really was lacking in good qb's, outside of Sam Bradford. Next year, Bradford may even have fallen to be only the 3rd or 4th qb picked.

You certainly don't have to be ecstatic about this draft, but claiming that it was clueless, stupid and an utter failure as 'Truth' when you acknowledge little insight about the players says much more about you than your thesis.[/color]

The truth is that RBs are overvalued. And when you have two 1,000 yard rushers on your roster already and a ton of holes all over the roster, you don't waste a 9th round pick on a player who isn't an every down back. It's a stupid move regardless of how talented the RB picked is because you don't need super star RB to win games in the modern NFL. You can get as much, if not more, production from cheaper, less costly RBs. Spiller didn't improve the team -- he's a splashy pick. Just like Willis was. Like Henry was. Like Lynch was ... see a trend?

It doesn't matter how good he is. And that's the point. He could be the second coming of Walter Payton, but I'd argue that you get more from having two cheaper backs on your roster and a better passing game in today's game than you would if you had Sweetness and scrubs surrounding him. Back in the 70s, 80s (and maybe) 90s, Sweetness with a bunch of scrubs could still win a handful of games and make your team a playoff contender. Not so much anymore.

Put it another way, who are the top 3 RBs in the league based on pure talent? Johnson, Peterson and Gore, right? All three are highly productive, they put up huge highlight videos, great yardage and are great RBs.

Now, how many playoff games have they played? How many have they won? How many super bowls have they led their teams to?

And, in all three cases, the Niners, Titians and Vikings have far better rosters than the Bills.

Now, if the Bills had 3 holes to fill and they took Spiller. Okay. They could afford it. If they were one playmaker away, sure, then it's a great pick. But they're not even close to that. They have giant holes on their O-Line (now the worst in the league by far heading into pre-season), no QB on the roster who can win a super bowl, outside of Lee, no tested WRs, a terrible LB corps, and an unknown defensive front which will be largely manned by rookies in key spots or veterans playing in a brand new 3-4 scheme.

Sorry, factoring all that into it, wasting a valuable 9th pick on a RB is beyond stupid. It's catostrophic. Even if he pans out like Johnson, Gore and Peterson, the Bills won't go to the playoffs, won't get out of the bottom of the AFC East. They may go from terrible to just bad, maybe okay. But that's about all a RB can do for a team in today's game.

You don't need to be a draft guru to understand that. You just have to understand the modern game and its economics.

Only fools try to predict the future, and only bigger fools try to convince others that they're predictions are already a part of history.

Hey Bud, I mean no disrespect to the city I grew up in and love. I still visit thee every year for hunting season. I'm glad I don't live there because I see how much passion those who do have only to get b*tched slapped again year after year. I saw OJ play in the Rockpile with my Dad and will cherish those memories for the rest of my life.

I feel bad for the people of Buffalo because you deserve better. But make no mistake, I'm not an apologist either. My comment about being glad I no longer live there has helped me to see there's better things to do with my Sunday's (I live in San Diego) instead of watching a loser football team. You know the old saying- Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me fifteen years shame on me.

Don't take this personally. But some probably will. If being a fan for the better part of 42 years and having you Bullschit meter pegged is being a fair weather fan, then you've got me dead to rights.

All that stated, I love C.J. Spiller and think will be an exceptional player, but is that really what we needed with our first round pick? Or is that the wisest use of our pick given our needs?

For those of you who can't handle the truth F**k off back at you.

I'm just sayin...

Well if you have better things to do with your Sundays than to watch loser teams like ours, why are you spending your time on this Sunday posting about our loser team? shouldn't you be surfing or eating fish tacos or something.