Rationalizing the Spiller pick

I'm just thinking out loud here trying to rationalize why we would take Spiller in the first round with Fred and Marshawn on the team and (supposedly) not being interested in trading Marshawn.

What if Gailey's thinking about some wildcat-like scheme where, on a chunk of the plays (not all, obviously), they go with Fred under center with Spiller in the backfield? Fred's done it before and had more TD passes than Brohm last year (1). Marshawn acts as backup or you could convert him to FB. It could explain the desire to have three RBs.

Of course, it could also be that Ralphie is really calling the shots (which I believe) which have become seemingly more random over the years...

Really?

1.) Freddy is 30.

2.) Lynch is suspended 4 games a season

3.) He is the second best player in the draft.

BTW when you play with your blocks, try putting the Circle block in the hole shaped like a circle, the hole shaped like a square is for the square block. ;-)

Winning in the NFL isn't about drafting for need???

Sure it is. :lol:

We needed a QB so we should have drafted Clausen, right? No matter that his value was shown to be as a late 2nd rounder, since the Bills needed a QB we should have taken him at #9. That's what teams who "draft for need" do. And it's no coincidence that such teams are at the top of the draft every year, looking to plug another hole.

You CAN'T do that unless you're a team that was in the playoffs last year and is looking for a piece to put you over the top. And those teams draft at the bottom of the rounds anyway. When you are a team like Buffalo you HAVE to go after talent like Spiller... I don't care if you don't need a RB. If you don't want that guy then you TRADE BACK... not do something stupid like draft a player far too high just because you needed that position.

LOSERS draft for need in the first round. This is the biggest sign that something may have changed in Buffalo... that they actually took Spiller.

I was sorta thinking something similar when looking over this draft. As long as Spiller stays healthy, you could argue that in terms of explosiveness on the field, the draft goes 1) Suh, 2) Spiller

Play quarterback or offensive line.

Did you watch the highlight video? He threw for a TD so who knows? Hell, we could just have CJ and Fred running around tossing the ball to each other. And who needs an OL when you run like that?

Sure it is. :thumbsup:

We needed a QB so we should have drafted Clausen, right? No matter that his value was shown to be as a late 2nd rounder, since the Bills needed a QB we should have taken him at #9. That's what teams who "draft for need" do. And it's no coincidence that such teams are at the top of the draft every year, looking to plug another hole.

You CAN'T do that unless you're a team that was in the playoffs last year and is looking for a piece to put you over the top. And those teams draft at the bottom of the rounds anyway. When you are a team like Buffalo you HAVE to go after talent like Spiller... I don't care if you don't need a RB. If you don't want that guy then you TRADE BACK... not do something stupid like draft a player far too high just because you needed that position.

LOSERS draft for need in the first round. This is the biggest sign that something may have changed in Buffalo... that they actually took Spiller.

What he said.

Did you watch the highlight video? He threw for a TD so who knows? Hell, we could just have CJ and Fred running around tossing the ball to each other. And who needs an OL when you run like that?

I've read so many rationalizing posts today that I can't tell if this is serious or not.

trivia question

name the last player chosen by the bills in the 1st round from clemson.

its not jerry butler (it turned out far, far worse)

WTF does Perry Tuttle have to do with anything?

GO BILLS!!!

Really?

1.) Freddy is 30.

2.) Lynch is suspended 4 games a season

BTW when you play with your blocks, try putting the Circle block in the hole shaped like a circle, the hole shaped like a square is for the square block. ;-)

I must have missed Lynch getting suspended again this year. :thumbsup:

I understand exactly what ChanNix were thinking.

They clearly under stand that our QB's are Capt checkdowns.

Spiller is the checkdown option that can bust the big one or at least make something happen

more so than Lynch and Jackson. He will clearly be a difference maker even with the same QB's

I'm just thinking out loud here trying to rationalize why we would take Spiller in the first round with Fred and Marshawn on the team and (supposedly) not being interested in trading Marshawn.

What if Gailey's thinking about some wildcat-like scheme where, on a chunk of the plays (not all, obviously), they go with Fred under center with Spiller in the backfield? Fred's done it before and had more TD passes than Brohm last year (1). Marshawn acts as backup or you could convert him to FB. It could explain the desire to have three RBs.

Of course, it could also be that Ralphie is really calling the shots (which I believe) which have become seemingly more random over the years...

stupid post