Rationalizing the Spiller pick

I'm just thinking out loud here trying to rationalize why we would take Spiller in the first round with Fred and Marshawn on the team and (supposedly) not being interested in trading Marshawn.

What if Gailey's thinking about some wildcat-like scheme where, on a chunk of the plays (not all, obviously), they go with Fred under center with Spiller in the backfield? Fred's done it before and had more TD passes than Brohm last year (1). Marshawn acts as backup or you could convert him to FB. It could explain the desire to have three RBs.

Of course, it could also be that Ralphie is really calling the shots (which I believe) which have become seemingly more random over the years...

I'm just thinking out loud here trying to rationalize why we would take Spiller in the first round with Fred and Marshawn on the team and (supposedly) not being interested in trading Marshawn.

What if Gailey's thinking about some wildcat-like scheme where, on a chunk of the plays (not all, obviously), they go with Fred under center with Spiller in the backfield? Fred's done it before and had more TD passes than Brohm last year (1). Marshawn acts as backup or you could convert him to FB. It could explain the desire to have three RBs.

Of course, it could also be that Ralphie is really calling the shots (which I believe) which have become seemingly more random over the years...

Triple Option.

WHAT? Why in the HECK do you need to rationalize this pick? Talk to anyone that knows anything about this draft and they will tell you that C.J. Spiller is a rare talent... a combination of outstanding athleticism and results on the field. Similar to Sam Bradford. I think most would rank the best players in this draft as Bradford, Suh, Spiller... in that order. This pick FINALLY shows that someone at Bills Drive is understanding that winning in the NFL isn't about drafting for need or drafting for selling tickets, at least not in the 1st round. Now if Bradford were available, and the Bills took Spiller, I could see someone trying to rationalize why they did it. But at PICK NINE? The only rationalization you need for Spiller at 9 is that premium talent wins in the NFL... not plugging your holes with the best player available, even if sub-par to other players.

WHAT? Why in the HECK do you need to rationalize this pick? Talk to anyone that knows anything about this draft and they will tell you that C.J. Spiller is a rare talent... a combination of outstanding athleticism and results on the field. Similar to Sam Bradford. I think most would rank the best players in this draft as Bradford, Suh, Spiller... in that order. This pick FINALLY shows that someone at Bills Drive is understanding that winning in the NFL isn't about drafting for need or drafting for selling tickets, at least not in the 1st round. Now if Bradford were available, and the Bills took Spiller, I could see someone trying to rationalize why they did it. But at PICK NINE? The only rationalization you need for Spiller at 9 is that premium talent wins in the NFL... not plugging your holes with the best player available, even if sub-par to other players.

Winning in the NFL isn't about drafting for need???

I rationalize it one way; if we get a touchdown, or multiple tds (please) on opening day i guarantee that at least one of them will be scored by spiller & on this bills team that looks at scoring points the same way i look at Margaret Cho being a comedian, that's saying a lot.

Beast is gone, his heart is not in it. I watch Chris Johnson all the time. IF Spiller is another C.J., then you take him.

If you need to think about so much you might be better served thinking about something else.

ralphie

Guest dog14787

CJ Spiller scored over 50 TD's in 4 years averaging more then a TD a game. The kid can run for TD's, catch for TD's, return for TD's( and he even threw for TD's.)

CJ Spiller is Gaileys dream come true kinda player and Gailey is going to turn Spiller into one of the best scoring machines the Bills have ever seen in my opinion.

I'm real excited about Spiller :thumbdown:

These three on the field at the same time could create some confusion.

Yeah I suppose it could confuse the people watching on TV making them think there are watching a "vintage" college football game.

And it might confuse the defense trying to decide if the Bills are going to run, or throw a screen.

'Cause every time CJ touches the ball, it is a potential to kick a PAT.

That's why.