30 for 30

KD in CA

• 4 months later...

Last night's episode was on the 1982 LLWS champs from Kirkland, WA (immortalized in the 'Trill of Victory' shot during the opening of Wide World of Sports).

Pretty good critique of the impact of overwhelming pressure and attention put on these kids. And obviously it's much worse today than 30 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Saw 'Four Days in October' last night, about the 2004 ALCS (sorry Yank fans!)

Pretty good, mostly because of the clips of the Sox locker room, plane, etc. where you could see how loose they were. The games themselves have been replayed a million times so nothing new there, though I forgot how the Yanks should have closed it out in both games 4 and 5.

Pretty good, mostly because of the clips of the Sox locker room, plane, etc. where you could see how loose they were. The games themselves have been replayed a million times so nothing new there, though I forgot how the Yanks should have closed it out in both games 4 and 5.

Oh, sure, I watched that last night. :thumbdown:

I was probably good to revisit just to remember a time when the Red Sox were like the Cubs. The best part for me was seeing A-Roid slap at Arroyo's glove.

"Oh yeah, now I remember why I harbor such mordacious hate for that purple-lipped phony." :D

• 3 weeks later...

Two more:

House of Steinbrenner: This was was very mediocre, one of the worst of the series. The first 20 minutes focused on the last game at the old Stadium which was ok. The next 20 minutes was basically an interview with Hal Steinbrenner -- who is possibly the most boring person on the planet, mixed in with a jumble of old pictures, crying office secretaries, moving men, etc. Completely pointless. Then the last 20 minutes is building the shiny new home (including the tacky auctioning of pieces of the old stadium for huge dollars) that all the true fans hate -- until they sign hundreds of millions of dollars worth of free agents and win the World Series. Very disappointing, don't bother.

Fernando Nation: This was pretty good. Really interesting background story on the history of Chavez Ravine, the state of the Chicano community in that era (amazing how much different from today) and the absence of Latino cultural heroes in the US at the time. Enter Fernando and his incredible rookie season of '81 and his impact on the make up of the Dodger fan base. It's been a long time so people forget, but this guy generated ten times the excitement that Fidrych did in his rookie year. Not to mention the Dodgers won the Series. Unfortunately, since it was only a 60 minute program, the film rushed through the rest of his career and wasn't able to examine what he's doing now or what his lasting (if any) impact has been on those he was such a hero to in the 80s. Still, definitely worth seeing.

Edited by KD in CT

• 10 months later...

Thought the Bartman one was pretty good. Loved the mob mentality and the smiling idiot who was all proud of himself for going down there with the intent of starting a fight.

And apparently still proud of himself 8 years later when everyone else seems to have come to the realization that the overreaction was unwarranted. What an a--hole.

I thought it was great they interviewed the guy who came about 6" from being Bartman. Lucky bastard.

Bartman gets a bad rap for a number of reasons, but mnostly because a)any of us would have done the same thing in that situation, and b)if Alex Gonzalez can field a routine grounder, the Cubbies would have been able to turn an inning ending DP and bartman would have become irrelevant.

Bartman gets a bad rap for a number of reasons, but mnostly because a)any of us would have done the same thing in that situation, and b)if Alex Gonzalez can field a routine grounder, the Cubbies would have been able to turn an inning ending DP and bartman would have become irrelevant.

The way the people of chicago treated the guy was inexcusable, that's for sure. HE'S ONE OF THEM!

• 3 months later...