Who is the Bills Best Safe Pick?

Owen

at # 9 I think there are a few guys who would be safe pics if they are there ; spiller, Bulaga and trent williams, McClain,and derick morgan. and someone i really like if we could trade back a little would be Iupati. I know many of you dont think we need another guard but he would give us great depth /insurance if wood doesnt come back. or down the road move wood back to center.

I think McClain would be the safest pick. Clausen could be a bust. Bulaga could be a bust, see Gailery. Spiller could be a bust, see Lynch.

Trade down, stock-pile picks. That way the busts won't hurt as much, unless you are Dallas and all your picks are busts.

Trading down is the safest way to not overspend on high first round picks that do not make an impact (like many of the Bill's top picks in the last 10 years - see partial list below), but the biggest thing will be what is left at number nine for the positions the Bills have targeted and let's hope that past performance is not an indication on what will happen this year.

None of these players were able to step right in and contribute or make an impact in the way that you would like to see your 1st rounder perform:

2000 Erik Flowers

2002 Mike Williams

2004 J.P. Losman

2006 John McCargo

2009 Aaron Maybin

I think McClain would be the safest pick. Clausen could be a bust. Bulaga could be a bust, see Gailery. Spiller could be a bust, see Lynch.

Trade down, stock-pile picks. That way the busts won't hurt as much, unless you are Dallas and all your picks are busts.

Lynch is not a bust. One bad year doesn't make you a bust. He was very good his first two seasons. I think you need to readjust what you consider a bust. Mike Williams was a bust. Three to four years of limited to no production. Lynch has produced quite well for the most part.

at # 9 I think there are a few guys who would be safe pics if they are there ; spiller, Bulaga and trent williams, McClain,and derick morgan. and someone i really like if we could trade back a little would be Iupati. I know many of you dont think we need another guard but he would give us great depth /insurance if wood doesnt come back. or down the road move wood back to center.

The Bills don't need to draft depth/insurance in the first round. They can do that in later rounds. 1st round picks needs to be able to play and start preferably. Now if they took Iupati and moved Wood to Center, okay. But in that case I'd prefer Pouncey from Florida.

Agreed. I would really like McClain and Poz as the heart of our D for years to come.

THIS IS A NO BRAINER ..MCCLAIN

McClain is an ILB strictly, and Buffalo has three guys there in Posluszny, Mitchell, and Andra Davis. Taking another ILB at 9 is not decent draft value, even considering the player himself.

If they can't find their OT, option 2 is trade down. Should that not work, I'd go with a pass-rushing OLB. The pass rush in Buffalo has been talked about, but rarely shows up. Taking a RB, WR, or QB is not going to work behind that OL and they may as well beef up their defense with some OLB's.

Spiller, McClain and Bulaga are surefire future Pro Bowlers.

I like Dan Williams, but he really has only produced one season so I'm a little nervous about calling him a safe thing. He could be the next dominant Casey Hamtpon-esque player right out of the gate or he could really struggle his first few seasons until he gets his feet wet.

Trent Williams and Anthony Davis both could be out of the NFL in 5 years.

As a return man yes, but as a 3 down guy, hardly.

I agree. Spiller looks like the best bet. I am a huge marshawn fan, but I think he's worn out his welcome with the new regime.

Seriously?

A situational HB with a Top 10 Pick on a Team that has a 1000 yd. RB returning? The same Team with a former 1st Round RB still on the Roster? And a Team with a million other Needs???...Spiller is the best bet?

Spiller may very well be the best bet for a number of Teams in the Top 10...The Bills are DEFINITELY not one of them...Folks...Spiller is not AP...He's more like Reggie Bush light...He's a heck of a Football Player but he's not an every Down NFL Back...This Team has monster holes at QB, OT, and NT...This Team lacks depth just about everywhere... :rolleyes:

If they take Spiller at #9 so be it...But I sure as hell would like to know who's going to block for the Kid, and Our QB's for that matter...Spiller simply makes no sense for the Bills...Hopefully they are sending this out to assure Seattle takes him at #6, allowing one of the top OT's to slide down a bit...We'll see soon enough... :thumbsup:

Oh and the safest Pick at #9? Bulaga...I'm not the biggest Bulaga Fan but he's going to Start for years in the NFL...Solid if not spectacular...The real safest bet is a Trade Down...

The new regime just arrived; Lynch has been here for three seasons. Just missing non mandatory events does not put you in the dog house.

Missing four games to a suspension does. Continuing his pattern of drawing the commissioner's attention would. His next suspension would be for a year.

Not saying they will definitely get rid of him, but yeah, he's already in the doghouse and for good reason.

McClain is an ILB strictly, and Buffalo has three guys there in Posluszny, Mitchell, and Andra Davis. Taking another ILB at 9 is not decent draft value, even considering the player himself.

Posluszny - 25 yrs old...Missed 13 games in '07 and 4 in '09

Mitchell - 30 yrs old...Missed 11 games in '09

Davis - 31 yrs old

I see your point, but with the injury problems, the age of Mitchell and Davis, and the 3-4 change, I'd still consider McClain the safe bet.

A safe pick, since you asked:

Move down some, and then select C/G Maurkice Pouncey. Their current center position incumbent seems to be iffy, and who knows about Wood and if he can play this coming season - if ever?

I've thought the same thing. I wouldn't be upset with Pouncey at #9 also Iupati wouldn't bother me.

If they can't find their OT, option 2 is trade down. Should that not work, I'd go with a pass-rushing OLB. The pass rush in Buffalo has been talked about, but rarely shows up. Taking a RB, WR, or QB is not going to work behind that OL and they may as well beef up their defense with some OLB's.

they need impact playmakers

either a stud LT who can neutralize an elite passrusher by himself

or a passrusher who can disrupt an offense and requires the offense to gameplan around

top 10 picks need to studs, not slugs