Jon Gruden QB Special

I don't get the hate on Clausen. Again, it stems from everything off the football field and is purely just a personal dislike for the guy. When he said his receiver didn't run the right route, IT ISN'T HIS FAULT! He made the hand signal, the WR got it and ignored it. And when the plays are coming in slowly, it makes it much harder to change stuff before you snap it after you have a chance to read the defense a little. Clausen made no mistake on the pick that Gruden showed (1 of his 4 on the year) and I don't understand on how that can make him "uncoachable" because he placed the blame on others.

See I think the reason for the hate is that he looks alternatively like a wanker-punk and an ostrich...

wanker punk

ostrich

Personally, I don't like wanker-punks or ostriches. So I guess you're right - it's personal.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you favor the calm, cool demeanor of say Dick Jauron. But I like a coach with a pulse. Oh...and a Superbowl ring.

I prefer substance over style. Jauron had neither. And no head coach who has ever received a Super Bowl ring has had less to do with his team's success than Gruden.

And Biscuit is on the money about the rah-rah stuff...it has a very short shelf life when you are dealing with grown-ups.

Actually, it's not false, it's dead on, his deep ball accuracy is excellent, and the pundits agree. Some of them think that he puts too much air under his long balls, but it hasn't affected his accuracy at all.

And CBS Sports don't get graded for accuracy anymore than WalterFootball. ESPN too. They get paid to entertain and bring in viewers. As you said, both guys at Walterfootball are highly rated at their mock drafts. Check the Huddle Report.

I am in favour of Clausen but had some concerns with his deep ball being somewhat loopy, as if he was just throwing it up for grabs and relying on Tate and Floyd to beat the cover (although I had to admit the ball seemed always to get to the right place at the right time). Apparently Mike Mayock (and undoubtedly others) had the same concern. At Clausen's pro-day, the ND coaches confirmed to Mayock that Clausen was indeed just throwing it up there in a way, because he was told to do so given that he could not push off his injured foot properly. With the foot close to healed, Mayock confirmed that Clausen was able to drive the long ball effectively and that, together with his demonstrated ability to make all the throws, is what made him confirm that in his opinion Clausen was certainly a top ten talent. Parenthetically he also distinguished Clausen from Quinn on the basis of Clausen's extraordinary accuracy.

I prefer substance over style. Jauron had neither. And no head coach who has ever received a Super Bowl ring has had less to do with his team's success than Gruden.

And Biscuit is on the money about the rah-rah stuff...it has a very short shelf life when you are dealing with grown-ups.

Barry Switzer.

Jimmy Clausen is an Alien Wizard

Here is the breakdown on why clowns like you don't like Clausen. :devil:

My main concern with Clausen is that Notre Dame is a unique place. Most if not all of the guys playing on Notre Dame have a good head on their shoulders and probably have good prospects in life even if they don't play in the NFL. 95% of the guys playing in the NFL are not like that. The NFL is a much less forgiving place and I worry about Clausen being able to command the respect an NFL QB needs. What may have worked at Notre Dame may not have worked at Florida, USC, and other football factories which more resemble what it's like in the NFL. He's a better QB than Losman, but I worry he has some of the same personality traits as Losman and playing at Notre Dame masked that.

Jimmy Clausen is an Alien Wizard

Here is the breakdown on why clowns like you don't like Clausen. :devil:

Wow, there you have it - the definitive word on wanker-punk Clausen. I guess if it's written by some schmo named Joseph Hoffman and it's posted on WalterFootball.com, well then it's most certainly all incontrovertible fact. Who the !@#$ is Joseph Hoffman, anyway, besides just another Clausen knob-gobbler? Sounds like just another freakin' moron to me, 'cause he lost me at the 2nd sentence...

"At this point, if you still aren't a Jimmy Clausen fan, you just have some irrational hatred either for him personally or for Notre Dame, because there is no logical reason not to have him as a top-10 player in the 2010 NFL Draft and easily the most sure-fire quarterback in the class."

In other words, if I don't agree that Clausen's just the greatest, think he'll be the next Matt Leinart, don't want the Bills to draft him, and don't want to blow him, I have an irrational hatred of him? :lol:

Barry Switzer.

No. And shame on you for bringing him up; defending him makes me feel dirty. :devil:

Seriously, though. 1st three years for Switzer: 12-4, 12-4, 10-6. Won it all the 2nd year. Gruden: 12-4, 7-9, 5-11. Won the SB 1st year; ergo, he did it with more of his predecessor's players...then he burned that mother right to the ground.

No. And shame on you for bringing him up; defending him makes me feel dirty. :devil:

Seriously, though. 1st three years for Switzer: 12-4, 12-4, 10-6. Won it all the 2nd year. Gruden: 12-4, 7-9, 5-11. Won the SB 1st year; ergo, he did it with more of his predecessor's players...then he burned that mother right to the ground.

Dallas' team was LOADED. And, don't you think Tampa's fire sale had something to do with their record? I don't care what you say. I prefer a guy like Chuckie. Maybe it's just the nick name.

Regardless, he's not our coach. But I thought his QB special was awesome TV. And since I've heard Bradford 4 times since, he sounds like a loser. I hated him with Chuckie and I've hated everything he's had to say since. He just doesn't instill confidence that he's THEE guy. I'd pass all day on Bradford, even at 9 (and that's prob why I'm in my kitchen).

Dallas' team was LOADED. And, don't you think Tampa's fire sale had something to do with their record? I don't care what you say. I prefer a guy like Chuckie. Maybe it's just the nick name.

Regardless, he's not our coach. But I thought his QB special was awesome TV. And since I've heard Bradford 4 times since, he sounds like a loser. I hated him with Chuckie and I've hated everything he's had to say since. He just doesn't instill confidence that he's THEE guy. I'd pass all day on Bradford, even at 9 (and that's prob why I'm in my kitchen).

What fire sale? I think you're getting the '03 Buccaneers mixed up with the '98 Marlins.

No. And shame on you for bringing him up; defending him makes me feel dirty. :rolleyes:

In Parcells' 2nd year in NE/NYJ, they went 11-5/12-4. In his 3rd year they went 6-10/8-8. I can't believe he gets credit for turning them around with Dick McPherson's/Rich Kotite's players.

What fire sale? I think you're getting the '03 Buccaneers mixed up with the '98 Marlins.

They were older than dirt. Plus they scored points in the '02 postseason, which they could not ever do previously.

As I wrote before, I only saw the part with Clausen, and I've stated my case there; it would be awfully hard for me to take the rest of that show seriously, though.

My main concern with Clausen is that Notre Dame is a unique place. Most if not all of the guys playing on Notre Dame have a good head on their shoulders and probably have good prospects in life even if they don't play in the NFL. 95% of the guys playing in the NFL are not like that. The NFL is a much less forgiving place and I worry about Clausen being able to command the respect an NFL QB needs. What may have worked at Notre Dame may not have worked at Florida, USC, and other football factories which more resemble what it's like in the NFL. He's a better QB than Losman, but I worry he has some of the same personality traits as Losman and playing at Notre Dame masked that.

Really intelligent, thoughtful take. We don't really know, of course, but I like the thinking.

edit: The NFL is littered with failed quarterbacks whose main deficiency might have been an inability to command the huddle.

I think the hate for Clausen is so overblown. In one aspect, his interview was better than everyone else's. Clausen was the only player taking notes in the film session with Gruden. This shows two things, he is willing to come in, listen, and learn. Additionally, he's going to do so in a professional manner, which is something working with a NFL coach for 3 years will teach you. Lots of times successful people are cocky jerks, but that doesn't hurt their performance. People tend to forget that Jim Kelly was pretty full of himself when he was QB.

As far as Gruden, I thought he really made it interesting. Knew his stuff, and wasn't afraid to ask the questions like a coach would. He can be pretty hilarious, too.

I don't think you can rate a QB higher or lower based on their "interview" with the the almighty Gruden. I mean really , what has he done other than win one superbowl with Dungy's team. He has never developed any noteworthy quarterbacks. Probably the most overrated NFL head coach ever. Good tv though , I must admit.