Jon Gruden QB Special

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THey said that about Joe Montana'a arm strenght also. I guess he sucked too.

That's a different argument.

Although, Nix has specifically said that a QB - IN BUFFALO - must have a strong arm to throw through the winds in the Ralph. Setting that aside, though, certainly many QBs with average arms have been terrific.

However, JustMaxx said that the scouts all had Tebow as having the strongest arm, and that was just plain wrong.

Your argument of Clausen "has all the tools" holds no more water than the other guys argument about "intangibles".

Which part of the argument doesn't hold water? The part were Clausen played in a pro style offense and had success? The fact that he can make all the throws? The part were he can actually read defenses? The playing on torn ligaments and only throwing 4 interceptions? Because if you add these things up it seems like Bill's argument holds a Great Lakes worth of water. Yeah this team needs leaders, but it need football players even more. Take the guy that will contribute.

And then he cried, literally, on the bench. This guy is no leader of men in the NFL, is not near ready to play, and probably never will be. I can't wait until the draft is over so we will not have to listen to all the Tebow man-love around here.

I favor Clausen over Tebow, but this is such a non-factor.

Excellent comparison. Joe Montana at ND and Tebow at Florida were the exact same QB.

I think it's a lack of leadership that gets most people. He doesn't have Tebow's intangibles. I don't hate Clausen, I'm just not sold on him as our franchise QB.

No offense, but WalterFootball is just some guy with a blog. I actually like his mock drafts, they're much better than some of the other ones out there, but he hasn't been vetted or interviewed for the job, he isn't paid to do this. I'll trust CBS Sports and ESPN over WalterFootball.com. Especially when on his "very good deep ball accuracy" point, that's just blatantly false.

Actually, it's not false, it's dead on, his deep ball accuracy is excellent, and the pundits agree. Some of them think that he puts too much air under his long balls, but it hasn't affected his accuracy at all.

And CBS Sports don't get graded for accuracy anymore than WalterFootball. ESPN too. They get paid to entertain and bring in viewers. As you said, both guys at Walterfootball are highly rated at their mock drafts. Check the Huddle Report.

Tebows intangibles are,

1.Leadership

2.Determination

3.Faith

4.Enthusiasm

5.Strength of character

7.Drive to excel

8.Humbleness

9.WINNER

Clausen does'nt have many if any of these.

Montana didn't really have many intangibles either when he came into the league. Quiet guy, not enthusiastic, not a guy who people particularly wanted to follow. But a funny thing happened when he started to play QB extremely well. Everybody wanted to follow him.

Intangibles are great. But Napoleon and Gandhi had off-the-charts intangibles but wouldn't have made great QBs. Give me a guy who, standing in a pro-style offense and facing pro defenses, puts the ball in the right guy's hands a larger percentage of the time. And Clausen is that guy, right now. Tebow may possibly become that guy, but there's no way to know.

Give me a guy who, standing in a pro-style offense and facing pro defenses, puts the ball in the right guy's hands a larger percentage of the time. And Clausen is that guy, right now. Tebow may possibly become that guy, but there's no way to know.

So was Brady Quinn, who was more productive than Claussen at ND. There's no way to predict NFL success.

Hopefully in our case, the Bills have done their homework and have studied the person behind all of the numbers. Can he be coached, can he lead, how will he handle adversity, etc. Time will tell.........

So was Brady Quinn, who was more productive than Claussen at ND. There's no way to predict NFL success.

Hopefully in our case, the Bills have done their homework and have studied the person behind all of the numbers. Can he be coached, can he lead, how will he handle adversity, etc. Time will tell.........

The "more productive" qb depends on how you interpret the stats. Clausen's junior year was better than any season Quinn had, which to me makes him a better pro prospect. When people are comparing all of these prospects, the most important factor gets overlooked too much, and that is decision making. Whether or not a QB can read a defense and instantly recognize the progression order is what sets QB's like Brees and Manning apart, and what made Losman unsuccessful. Looking at the 4 QBs this year, Clausen really stands out in this area. He only threw four interceptions last year, and when you watch his footage, Clausen is excellent at scanning the field, and than ripping the ball where it needs to be. To me, this screams NFL prototype QB, even more so than Sam Bradford.

Did the TEAMS Brady Quinn played on win more games or was Claussen a more PRODUCTIVE QB by the individual NUMBERS?

Did the TEAMS Brady Quinn played on win more games or was Claussen a more PRODUCTIVE QB by the individual NUMBERS?

Quinn never had a 68 completion percentage, and I'll take Clausen's 28-4 over Quinn's 37-7

Jon Gruden once coached Helen Keller to a QB rating of 102. She threw for 4572 yards and 36 TD's. She used to have to tickle the center's bum to snap the ball and the shotgun was always an adventure.

Way to go Jon Gruden :lol:

Made my morning :sick:

The problem with Clausen is that many (including me) worry if he doesn't have success right away, that he'll cave or blame others. He has been a success since he was a kid and I think he gets by on his talent. Will he work on improving if his NFL game is subpar? Rumors say he's not a big film-study guy. He reminds me of Rob Johnson with some J.P. Losman added in.

Having said that, if we trade DOWN from #9 and he's still there, take him. It's fate--I wouldn't pass twice. It's a dice roll.

"Rumors say he's not a big film-study guy."

Oh, come on. It's not rumors, it's facts, Clausen is a film-study junkie.

Provide a link on this please, if you want to be taken seriously when you're saying just the opposite of what the people who know him are saying.

Back off Chuckie. It's okay to favor Clausen, but I thought if nothing else, it was great TV. He exposed a weakness on each QB. He also pointed out strengths. Whadya want, Mr. Rogers? I like passion. And Gruden has that.

If you want passion, go read a romance novel. What Jon Gruden is clearly best at is self promotion. It worked with a number of people here.

If you want passion, go read a romance novel. What Jon Gruden is clearly best at is self promotion. It worked with a number of people here.

Obviously you favor the calm, cool demeanor of say Dick Jauron. But I like a coach with a pulse. Oh...and a Superbowl ring.

I am not a Clausen fan in any way. I think that he is overrated and a first class prick. I really hope that the Bills have better options at number 9 than Clausen.

Having said all of that, I will trust that Buddy will make the right decision with our pick. At least until I see the performance on the field, I am going to give Buddy the benefit of the doubt regardless of whom we draft.

I like Gruden but that rah-rah yelling at men who are making millions probably gets old very fast.

Maybe true. But after Dick, you have to forgive me for seeing a little fire and wanting our coach to spit a little bit when he speaks. Plus, you gotta love the nick name.