What QB best fits Gailey's mold?

I just finished reading a brief post on Buffalo Rumblings suggesting that some teams around the NFL are convinced that the Bills aren't interested in Clausen - because Gailey likes more athletic QB's; the piece recalls Gailey not having interest in Drew Brees when he came out for similar reasons (although I always thought Brees was considered pretty athletic and quick).

My question for anyone who might know his history, tendencies, or maybe the kinds of QB's coming out that might fit his "mold", so to speak. Is there a college QB coming out that is perfect for his system? How about a tradeable vet?

Furthermore, what would his perfect QB look like?

Because, I just don't see why anyone would pass on people like Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady - because they aren't mobile... and it seems you never know how good a QB will be until you give them a chance. Could it just be a smokescreen?

THE CLAUSEN MYSTERY

Smoke screen is probably the most sensible conclusion here. The Bills have invested a great deal of time looking him over and the organization is going in a new direction. There is no reason to deny or confirm anyone at this point. Time will tell the tale. I was watching some footage of Clausen recently as well and he looks pretty darn good considering he was running for his life 90% of the time and had a bad toe all season. Yes he is a young cocky SOB, but I don't mind that so much really. He is a young buck who is arrogant. Give him protection, a coach that can continue his development, and some targets and let the crazy kid go.

1. I would take arrogant and tough over wimpy and indecisive any day of the week. (Trentative Edwards)

2. He could be the rookie that is cocky and wins early or gets his ass handed to him and gets over it to be a winner.

3. He could fight like a brave and kick the hell out of everyone's doubts.

4. The Bills could take the pass for something else and regret it when they miss out on Tebow or McCoy

5. The Bills could pass and take Big Nasty Players who prop up Edwards and Nix looks like a genius.

6. The Bills could trade for Vick and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

7. The Bills could trade for Campbell and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

8. The Bills pass on Clausen, Take Tebow in the 2nd and hit a home run 2 years from now when everything comes

together.

9. The Bills throw caution to the wind and take Tebow at 9 and win from day one like some sort of valiant hero saves the

world kind of scenario. Tebow becomes the greatest QB to ever live and the Bills win the Superbowl.

10. The Bills take someone that we have never heard of in the late rounds as their new QB and we continue speculating.

Basically, anything can happen and reality is stranger than fiction when it comes to the Buffalo Bills.

THE CLAUSEN MYSTERY

Smoke screen is probably the most sensible conclusion here. The Bills have invested a great deal of time looking him over and the organization is going in a new direction. There is no reason to deny or confirm anyone at this point. Time will tell the tale. I was watching some footage of Clausen recently as well and he looks pretty darn good considering he was running for his life 90% of the time and had a bad toe all season. Yes he is a young cocky SOB, but I don't mind that so much really. He is a young buck who is arrogant. Give him protection, a coach that can continue his development, and some targets and let the crazy kid go.

1. I would take arrogant and tough over wimpy and indecisive any day of the week. (Trentative Edwards)

2. He could be the rookie that is cocky and wins early or gets his ass handed to him and gets over it to be a winner.

3. He could fight like a brave and kick the hell out of everyone's doubts.

4. The Bills could take the pass for something else and regret it when they miss out on Tebow or McCoy

5. The Bills could pass and take Big Nasty Players who prop up Edwards and Nix looks like a genius.

6. The Bills could trade for Vick and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

7. The Bills could trade for Campbell and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

8. The Bills pass on Clausen, Take Tebow in the 2nd and hit a home run 2 years from now when everything comes

together.

9. The Bills throw caution to the wind and take Tebow at 9 and win from day one like some sort of valiant hero saves the

world kind of scenario. Tebow becomes the greatest QB to ever live and the Bills win the Superbowl.

10. The Bills take someone that we have never heard of in the late rounds as their new QB and we continue speculating.

Basically, anything can happen and reality is stranger than fiction when it comes to the Buffalo Bills.

Great assesment. Anything really can happen. Personally, I am completely on the fence about Clausen. He could be a great franchise QB that leads the team for years to come or he can be a complete bust. I wouldn't know what to do if he was on the board at 9 so I hope Nix knows the right thing to do.

Get 'er done, Buddy!

Guest dog14787

Captain Checkdown/Glove wearing Mary, with his/her lightning fast reaction/delivery would actually fit Gaileys offense perfectly in my opinion.

Give Mary the proper protection and she will pick teams apart.

Guest dog14787
Michael Vick fits the mold perfectly...in the draft ARMANTI which we should draft and bring in Vick...that'd be SWEEET

Vick does fit the slash role good and I would much prefer Michael Vick over Jason Campbell.

Let's not confuse arrogant with confident. I'd prefer a confident QB over an arrogant one anyday. The difference is, confident people can be taught and in most cases the confidence is borne out of learning and overcoming and achieving. Arrogance on the other hand is borne from the idea of entitlement and things being easy. I just was at then local bookstore and reviewed some players in the PFW draft guide (very thorough but at $20 they can have it!) and the negatives about Claussen was his attitude and maturity and they stated that he's in the mold of Rex Grossman and JP Losman, arrogant guys who came into the NFL and divided lockerrooms with their arrogance, not to mention never backing it up on the field.

So with that being said, I'm not sold on Claussens maturity and attitude but I like his skills and his college pedigree and experience and would venture a guess he'll be better than Losman and Grossman but not necessarily a Pro Bowler. If the guy can take criticism and use it to learn and get better, he'll be fine. However, everyone always assumes that players want that and act like that but it's not the case. Walk into any professional office and you'll find a-holes like that,l who are never wrong, who feel like they know everything and don't need to be taught or mentored. Pro football is not some specialized business where personalities are all the same and at the same time markedly different from people in general.

As for everyone saying Kelly was arrogant, I only have this to say.... Bruce Smith. Kelly got here and Smith was here, a number one pick and bone fide stud, arrogant in his own right. That creates a situation where the rookie comes in and is checked and then motivated by a guy his equal in talent. Pretty sure Kelly, in the lockerroom, had his ego checked pretty quickly and was never the bona fide top dog on that team, despite his position.

Who is that player on the Bills now?

I was really wondering, off hand, if anyone was familiar with what Gailey really wanted in a QB. I'd take a really good pocket passer like Brady or Manning any day. I just have read lately - and it could be smokescreen - that Gailey prefers a different kind of QB. Well, what kind of QB does he want? If he could make a guy to suit his style of offense, who would it look like? I was just wondering if there is a perfect fit out there in F.A. or the draft.

After writing that, I guess they'd have gone for a F.A. or trade - and they did, being McNabb. I'm not real familiar with college ball, but Tebow does seem like a McNabb kind of player - they're both thick, like a linebacker, and pretty mobile. Jarrett Brown also looked to be in that mold.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone was all that familiar with what Gailey was looking for.

Captain Checkdown/Glove wearing Mary, with his/her lightning fast reaction/delivery would actually fit Gaileys offense perfectly in my opinion.

Give Mary the proper protection and she will pick teams apart.

@ 2 yards a crack ...

my guess would be a good one, which eliminate trent and fitz.

History has shown us that Chan has utilized mobile qbs before, but that doesn't mean he wants a run first guy or option/spread guy. Maybe he wants a guy that has enough mobility to roll out and sells play-action well, a guy that runs bootlegs and naked bootlegs, but isnt necessarily a dynamic threat with his feet. Maybe he wants a guy that has improved every year in a prostyle offense, a guy that plays hurt, a real actual QB, who moves around in the pocket keeping his eyes downfield to throw the strike to the open WR, maybe he wants a QB that can handle a high pressure situation, maybe he wants..... Jimmy Clausen

Michael Vick fits the mold perfectly...in the draft ARMANTI which we should draft and bring in Vick...that'd be SWEEET

Vick hasn't done squat as a player. Oh and he tortures, electrocutes and kills dogs for fun. He's a POS player and POS person. That's real sweeet.

my guess would be a good one, which eliminate trent and fitz.

History has shown us that Chan has utilized mobile qbs before, but that doesn't mean he wants a run first guy or option/spread guy. Maybe he wants a guy that has enough mobility to roll out and sells play-action well, a guy that runs bootlegs and naked bootlegs, but isnt necessarily a dynamic threat with his feet. Maybe he wants a guy that has improved every year in a prostyle offense, a guy that plays hurt, a real actual QB, who moves around in the pocket keeping his eyes downfield to throw the strike to the open WR, maybe he wants a QB that can handle a high pressure situation, maybe he wants..... Jimmy Clausen

Yeah because you're smoking the glass dream making machine...he doesn't even slightly resemble his QB in Pittsburgh or in KC...

Yeah because you're smoking the glass dream making machine...he doesn't even slightly resemble his QB in Pittsburgh or in KC...

dude thigpin was a 3rd string last ditch effort if you remember, croyle and huard were the top 2 guys and both got hurt, so gailey changed the Offense on the fly, before thigpin, they ran a traditional style offense, the spread simplified things for him, made it easier to manage, yet still, they didnt win with that system.

Kordell stewart had the tools, and gailey figured out how to use him effectively, that doesnt show a preference.

Gailey also coached TROY AIKMAN in Dallas, so he does have experience with a traditional drop back QB, and if you recall, his greatest success (2 playoff berths in 2 seasons) came with that style of QB, so MAYBE it isnt that far fetched to think that he wants a traditional QB, and the best traditional QB available is Jimmy Clausen.

I just finished reading a brief post on Buffalo Rumblings suggesting that some teams around the NFL are convinced that the Bills aren't interested in Clausen - because Gailey likes more athletic QB's; the piece recalls Gailey not having interest in Drew Brees when he came out for similar reasons (although I always thought Brees was considered pretty athletic and quick).

My question for anyone who might know his history, tendencies, or maybe the kinds of QB's coming out that might fit his "mold", so to speak. Is there a college QB coming out that is perfect for his system? How about a tradeable vet?

Furthermore, what would his perfect QB look like?

Because, I just don't see why anyone would pass on people like Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady - because they aren't mobile... and it seems you never know how good a QB will be until you give them a chance. Could it just be a smokescreen?

How athletic was Tyler Thigpen? Not very.

Tyler Thigpen, DS #28 QB, Coastal Carolina

Selected: Round 7, Pick 7, Overall Pick 217 by Vikings

Name: Tyler Thigpen

College: Coastal Carolina Number: 16

Height: 6-2 Weight: 223

Position: QB Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007

40 Time: 4.78 40 Low: 4.72 40 High: 4.85

Projected Round: Stock:

Rated number 28 out of 103 QB's 499 / 2346 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results

Combine Invite: no

Height: 6017

Weight: 223

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Dates: 03/08/07

Height: 6017

Weight: 223

40 Yrd Dash: 4.78

20 Yrd Dash: 2.78

10 Yrd Dash: 1.65 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 29

Broad Jump: 8'9"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40

3-Cone Drill: 7.11

- NFL Draft Scout

The whole "Chan likes athletic QBs" thing comes from his college coaching days, and athletic QBs are far more important in college than the pros. Gailey has worked with many different kinds of QBs in the course of his career, from Aikman to Kordell Stewart. His strength is his ability to adapt. Nobody has, to my knowledge, produced a statement from Gailey saying that he prefers athletic QB, it just comes from a (flawed) evaluation of the kind of QBs he's had.

Let's not confuse arrogant with confident. I'd prefer a confident QB over an arrogant one anyday. The difference is, confident people can be taught and in most cases the confidence is borne out of learning and overcoming and achieving. Arrogance on the other hand is borne from the idea of entitlement and things being easy. I just was at then local bookstore and reviewed some players in the PFW draft guide (very thorough but at $20 they can have it!) and the negatives about Claussen was his attitude and maturity and they stated that he's in the mold of Rex Grossman and JP Losman, arrogant guys who came into the NFL and divided lockerrooms with their arrogance, not to mention never backing it up on the field.

Losman's problem was never arrogance. It was that he was put into an offensive system that, after they changed the system for the beginning of the 2007 season, never fit his capabilities. His problem was reading defenses and being in the wrong system.

As for Clausen, when you can find a quotation from even one Notre Dame player saying that he was arrogant, then I'll start taking that accusation seriously.

As for everyone saying Kelly was arrogant, I only have this to say.... Bruce Smith. Kelly got here and Smith was here, a number one pick and bone fide stud, arrogant in his own right. That creates a situation where the rookie comes in and is checked and then motivated by a guy his equal in talent. Pretty sure Kelly, in the lockerroom, had his ego checked pretty quickly and was never the bona fide top dog on that team, despite his position.

Bruce Smith never wanted the leadership position. Jim Kelly was the unquestioned leader of that team from day one, and his dressing down of Thurman Thomas and Howard Ballard and Ruben Brown at various times were great examples of this. Kelly was arrogant as hell.

Maybe that's it: writers are mistaking what Gailey was left to deal with as opposed to what he'd actually want. That sounds better to me. If they do want Clausen I think they'll have to trade up to 4, or 5 at the latest to get him for sure. Otherwise, if we want Tebow we'll have to trade up into the bottom of the first - and that will be on a team to team basis until he's there and we could get him, because he won't be there for us at our 2nd round pick. It looks like the top four QB's in the draft will take some wheeling and dealing to get.

I'd be happy with Clausen, Tebow, or Lefevour. We walk away from this draft with any of them and I'll be happy. Jarrett Brown, too, looks like a candidate.

dude thigpin was a 3rd string last ditch effort if you remember, croyle and huard were the top 2 guys and both got hurt, so gailey changed the Offense on the fly, before thigpin, they ran a traditional style offense, the spread simplified things for him, made it easier to manage, yet still, they didnt win with that system.

Kordell stewart had the tools, and gailey figured out how to use him effectively, that doesnt show a preference.

Gailey also coached TROY AIKMAN in Dallas, so he does have experience with a traditional drop back QB, and if you recall, his greatest success (2 playoff berths in 2 seasons) came with that style of QB, so MAYBE it isnt that far fetched to think that he wants a traditional QB, and the best traditional QB available is Jimmy Clausen.

Or maybe "his greatest success" came because he was "coaching" TROY AIKMAN.

So with that being said, I'm not sold on Claussens maturity and attitude but I like his skills and his college pedigree and experience and would venture a guess he'll be better than Losman and Grossman but not necessarily a Pro Bowler. If the guy can take criticism and use it to learn and get better, he'll be fine. However, everyone always assumes that players want that and act like that but it's not the case. Walk into any professional office and you'll find a-holes like that,l who are never wrong, who feel like they know everything and don't need to be taught or mentored. Pro football is not some specialized business where personalities are all the same and at the same time markedly different from people in general.

Who is that player on the Bills now?

Brian Moorman?!