What QB best fits Gailey's mold?

Let's not confuse arrogant with confident. I'd prefer a confident QB over an arrogant one anyday. The difference is, confident people can be taught and in most cases the confidence is borne out of learning and overcoming and achieving. Arrogance on the other hand is borne from the idea of entitlement and things being easy. I just was at then local bookstore and reviewed some players in the PFW draft guide (very thorough but at $20 they can have it!) and the negatives about Claussen was his attitude and maturity and they stated that he's in the mold of Rex Grossman and JP Losman, arrogant guys who came into the NFL and divided lockerrooms with their arrogance, not to mention never backing it up on the field.

So with that being said, I'm not sold on Claussens maturity and attitude but I like his skills and his college pedigree and experience and would venture a guess he'll be better than Losman and Grossman but not necessarily a Pro Bowler. If the guy can take criticism and use it to learn and get better, he'll be fine. However, everyone always assumes that players want that and act like that but it's not the case. Walk into any professional office and you'll find a-holes like that,l who are never wrong, who feel like they know everything and don't need to be taught or mentored. Pro football is not some specialized business where personalities are all the same and at the same time markedly different from people in general.

As for everyone saying Kelly was arrogant, I only have this to say.... Bruce Smith. Kelly got here and Smith was here, a number one pick and bone fide stud, arrogant in his own right. That creates a situation where the rookie comes in and is checked and then motivated by a guy his equal in talent. Pretty sure Kelly, in the lockerroom, had his ego checked pretty quickly and was never the bona fide top dog on that team, despite his position.

Who is that player on the Bills now?

uhhh NO!

Bruce at the time was considered lazy and overweight by Hank Bullough and was constantly getting yelled at by him.

Jim Kelly was "the" stud on day one, the fanfare when he arrived in Buffalo was huge, no question he was the man. Besides, Kelly spent 2 years in the USFL and was no rookie.

Kelly had his attitude in Buffalo from the start, he was constantly rubbing others the wrong way. He settled down and matured after a few years and most of his teammates loved his "linebacker mentality" as he would butt heads with no helmet on and draw blood he hit so hard.

Or maybe "his greatest success" came because he was "coaching" TROY AIKMAN.

all I'm sayin is that for all this pistol this mobile qb that talk, some of gaileys best work came with a traditional style QB, therefore its not a foregone conclusion that we will def. require a spread option QB to run the "pistol" offense, because we don't know if he will run that or not.

all I'm sayin is that for all this pistol this mobile qb that talk, some of gaileys best work came with a traditional style QB, therefore its not a foregone conclusion that we will def. require a spread option QB to run the "pistol" offense, because we don't know if he will run that or not.

All I'm pointing out is that if Gailey looked best when he had a HOF QB running the offense then it's hard to know what, exactly, CG has ever "molded" if all he is otherwise left with are the careers of "Slash" and Thigpen, which speak for themselves.

All I'm pointing out is that if Gailey looked best when he had a HOF QB running the offense then it's hard to know what, exactly, CG has ever "molded" if all he is otherwise left with are the careers of "Slash" and Thigpen, which speak for themselves.

Fair enough, I more take exception to the foregone conclusion that we will be running some college style offense, and therefore need tebow or vick type logic.

I just finished reading a brief post on Buffalo Rumblings suggesting that some teams around the NFL are convinced that the Bills aren't interested in Clausen - because Gailey likes more athletic QB's; the piece recalls Gailey not having interest in Drew Brees when he came out for similar reasons (although I always thought Brees was considered pretty athletic and quick).

My question for anyone who might know his history, tendencies, or maybe the kinds of QB's coming out that might fit his "mold", so to speak. Is there a college QB coming out that is perfect for his system? How about a tradeable vet?

Furthermore, what would his perfect QB look like?

Because, I just don't see why anyone would pass on people like Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady - because they aren't mobile... and it seems you never know how good a QB will be until you give them a chance. Could it just be a smokescreen?

Probably Tim Tebow as a backup to Michael Vick! Not my choices, but it would give him a mobile starter and a mobile backup to have Vick mentor. Although it would be ironic and funny to see how two quarterbacks from the opposite side of

morality to work so closely together during the dog days of summer (No pun intended!!)..Well maybe a little! :unsure:

Fair enough, I more take exception to the foregone conclusion that we will be running some college style offense, and therefore need tebow or vick type logic.

I don't think we would run anything like that. Besides, how did CG's college style offense work in college

THE CLAUSEN MYSTERY

Smoke screen is probably the most sensible conclusion here. The Bills have invested a great deal of time looking him over and the organization is going in a new direction. There is no reason to deny or confirm anyone at this point. Time will tell the tale. I was watching some footage of Clausen recently as well and he looks pretty darn good considering he was running for his life 90% of the time and had a bad toe all season. Yes he is a young cocky SOB, but I don't mind that so much really. He is a young buck who is arrogant. Give him protection, a coach that can continue his development, and some targets and let the crazy kid go.

1. I would take arrogant and tough over wimpy and indecisive any day of the week. (Trentative Edwards)

2. He could be the rookie that is cocky and wins early or gets his ass handed to him and gets over it to be a winner.

3. He could fight like a brave and kick the hell out of everyone's doubts.

4. The Bills could take the pass for something else and regret it when they miss out on Tebow or McCoy

5. The Bills could pass and take Big Nasty Players who prop up Edwards and Nix looks like a genius.

6. The Bills could trade for Vick and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

7. The Bills could trade for Campbell and then take Big Nasty players and Nix looks like a genius.

8. The Bills pass on Clausen, Take Tebow in the 2nd and hit a home run 2 years from now when everything comes

together.

9. The Bills throw caution to the wind and take Tebow at 9 and win from day one like some sort of valiant hero saves the

world kind of scenario. Tebow becomes the greatest QB to ever live and the Bills win the Superbowl.

10. The Bills take someone that we have never heard of in the late rounds as their new QB and we continue speculating.

Basically, anything can happen and reality is stranger than fiction when it comes to the Buffalo Bills.

Doggy that was one of the greatest post ever. I think ill print that out and keep it...

Probably Tim Tebow as a backup to Michael Vick! Not my choices, but it would give him a mobile starter and a mobile backup to have Vick mentor. Although it would be ironic and funny to see how two quarterbacks from the opposite side of

morality to work so closely together during the dog days of summer (No pun intended!!)..Well maybe a little! :unsure:

I thought about that same idea. Except the pun (was funny tho) but that wildcat would be a big play all day imagine Mike, Marshawn, Fred, Tim and Lee all on the field at the same time? That would confuse me just watching it...lol..

I think that about answers my question: we just don't know what kind of offense we'll be running, what kind of personnel he's looking for to fill it, nor, specifically, what kind of QB he would like. As much as it makes prognosticating the draft difficult on us fans, I guess it also makes it a pain in the --- for other teams, too, when it comes to what we'll be going after come draft weekend.

As little as I know about the pistol offense, it does interest me. I like the idea of being able to run and pass equally effectively out of that formation.

McCoy does seem like a pretty good consolation pick, too, if we can't get Bradford or Clausen. He's fast, accurate, and has that winning record/history.