LT Jared Gaither

There are a lot of people talking about aquiring raven's LT Jared Gaither. I now little about him. Could someone do the wall a solid and give a rundown on him. you know, college and pro history, strenghts and weaknesses and why the Raven's want to trade him?

Please and thank you,

GO BILLS!

There are a lot of people talking about aquiring raven's LT Jared Gaither. I now little about him. Could someone do the wall a solid and give a rundown on him. you know, college and pro history, strenghts and weaknesses and why the Raven's want to trade him?

Please and thank you,

GO BILLS!

Gaither is expendable by the Ravens because they have Michael Oher, and they don't need two top LTs soaking up big money. Gaither was going to be the long term starter in Baltimore, but Oher was so good last season after Gaither went out with an injury, he became expendable. According to NFL.com, he has played in 33 games, and started 28. According to most reports, he has a first round tender, but likely could be had for a second round draft choice. Considering that he was drafted in the Fifth Round, that would be a big benefit for the Ravens in terms of value gained and expended.

If the Bills trade for Gaither, especially if it is their second round pick, I foresee the team spending the 9 pick on either Dan Williams at NT or on Tim Tebow. DW would then become the BPA at a position of immense need on the team's defense. However, the Bills seem to have really taken to Tebow, and if they want him, they can now afford to reach at 9 because their biggest need will have been filled with the addition of Gaither.

The ravens want to move him because he makes LT money and now so does Michael Oher...Oher is younger and after the season he had, Gaither becomes expendable...they only need one...so they think...they can get at least a high 2nd round pick for Gaither and thier O Line will still be effective...

Gaither is a young LT that has shown probowl production...he's only been in the league a short time, but already has a great reputation as a solid LT...the Bills should have been all over this deal YESTERDAY...but what are ya gonna do?...He can run block and he's a premier pass blocker as well...he only gave up 2 sacks all season last year and the average time for his sacks were 3 seconds which is says that he didn't get smoked off the line like our very own D Bell...The Ravens were fifth in the league in rushing and averaged 4.5 per carry...pretty good...this guy is a beast and he is a steal with a 2nd round pick...plus he comes in and is already developed...

Ranked #4 LT by New York Times

"4. Jared Gaither, Baltimore Ravens

The largest and perhaps most talented lineman in the game. Hard to believe there are whispers about his work ethic."

If can get for a 2nd rounder, do it.

Interesting note on Jason Peters:

"I was a Peters believer until this past season. Sack numbers allowed are notoriously misleading. Peters is a classic case of “watch him on film and you’ll never feel the same about him again”. Peters struggled in Buffalo in ’08, but I figured it was primarily due to early season rust after a holdout. But to see the way he struggled in ’09….the guy simply wasn’t good. Maybe he can turn it around, he’s certainly talented, but watch the film, ignore the numbers and you’ll see just how disruptive he was to Philly’s offense"

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04...he-top-10-list/

The largest and perhaps most talented lineman in the game. Hard to believe there are whispers about his work ethic."

"I was a Peters believer until this past season. Sack numbers allowed are notoriously misleading. Peters is a classic case of “watch him on film and you’ll never feel the same about him again”. Peters struggled in Buffalo in ’08, but I figured it was primarily due to early season rust after a holdout. But to see the way he struggled in ’09….the guy simply wasn’t good. Maybe he can turn it around, he’s certainly talented, but watch the film, ignore the numbers and you’ll see just how disruptive he was to Philly’s offense"

Blasphemy! Not only is Jason Peters nothing short of the greatest OLman to EVER lace 'em up for the Bills, his very absence from the line-up caused us to slip so far in the standings in '09. How soon people forget how good we were with him in the lineup. As was reflected in our W-L record while he anchored the all-important LT position.

Enough with this needless bashing of the best LT in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Blasphemy! Not only is Jason Peters nothing short of the greatest OLman to EVER lace 'em up for the Bills, his very absence from the line-up caused us to slip so far in the standings in '09. How soon people forget how good we were with him in the lineup. As was reflected in our W-L record while he anchored the all-important LT position.

Enough with this needless bashing of the best LT in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Peters :wallbash: doesn't hold a candle to any of the lineman we had at the beginning of our Superbowl run!!!

I don't have to look at film, thank you though. I find it interesting that no one ever seems to point outr the obvious about Peters. He gained at least 30#'s form his 2007 season. he still hasn't lost it....

If he's as good as you guys think, he'll command more than a two. I thought it was excellent news that he could go to two teams drafting before buffalo....

Blasphemy! Not only is Jason Peters nothing short of the greatest OLman to EVER lace 'em up for the Bills

Don't know what you're smokin... I'm guessin ragweed.

Ever hear of Joe DeLamielleure, Reg McKenzie, Stew Barber, Billy Shaw, Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, House Ballard, Reuben Brown?

Pick the worst one of that bunch and Peters ain't fit to carry their duffle bag. He'll never achieve what any of those guys achieved.

The only mistake the Bills made in dumping Peters was not having a competent plan B. Any team willing to pay Peters the money he's making is dumb. Certainly not getting close to their money's worth. Only question left is when, during this season, will Peters gives up a sack that gets Kolb hurt.

Don't know what you're smokin... I'm guessin ragweed.

Ever hear of Joe DeLamielleure, Reg McKenzie, Stew Barber, Billy Shaw, Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, House Ballard, Reuben Brown?

Pick the worst one of that bunch and Peters ain't fit to carry their duffle bag. He'll never achieve what any of those guys achieved.

The only mistake the Bills made in dumping Peters was not having a competent plan B. Any team willing to pay Peters the money he's making is dumb. Certainly not getting close to their money's worth. Only question left is when, during this season, will Peters gives up a sack that gets Kolb hurt.

Like Mark Long Beach suggests above, time to check your sarcasm meter. It's a bit off.

And yes, everyone you mentioned above were better OLmen for the Bills. Heck, I'd throw in John Davis as well. And lets not forget Al Bemiller either. Anchor of those mid 60s lines with Billy Shaw and Co.

GO BILLS!!!

Gaither, a talented young OT rumored to be available in a trade by the Ravens. He is talented and could be a very good LT. Biggest knock on him during his entire playing career is that he is unmotivated and the most recent rumor is that the trade talk was just done by the Ravens to get him motivated enough to get to camp on time. The Ravens seemed to be getting frustrated by his motivation that they felt it necessary to draft an o-linemen early last year (Oher).

Is he an upgrade over what they currently have? Yup. Does he have the potential to be a very good LT? Yup. Does he care if he lives up to his potential and can play at a high level on his own? Not looking Good. Is he an upgrade over a 1st or 2nd round o-linemen in this draft? He may be if he gets motivated,but I don't know if its really worth the effort

Link

Jared Gaither-T- Ravens Apr. 11 - 1:08 pm et

Restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither has a "half-baked work ethic," according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun.

Perhaps this explains why the Ravens are rumored to be willing to trade Gaither. It's pretty clear Baltimore is not planning on giving Gaither the long-term deal that he wants right now.

Source: Baltimore Sun

From the Baltimore Sun article;

The Ravens should have takers for Gaither, if, in fact, they have had enough of his half-baked work ethic. Gaither would have a better starting point than raw rookies coming into the NFL, but those top rookies probably have a better long-term projection.

I don't know if I'd spend a second on him. :unsure:

Link

Jared Gaither-T- Ravens Apr. 11 - 1:08 pm et

Restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither has a "half-baked work ethic," according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun.

Perhaps this explains why the Ravens are rumored to be willing to trade Gaither. It's pretty clear Baltimore is not planning on giving Gaither the long-term deal that he wants right now.

Source: Baltimore Sun

From the Baltimore Sun article;

The Ravens should have takers for Gaither, if, in fact, they have had enough of his half-baked work ethic. Gaither would have a better starting point than raw rookies coming into the NFL, but those top rookies probably have a better long-term projection.

I don't know if I'd spend a second on him. :unsure:

Kind of what we thought of Willis before he went to Baltimore, eh? Who cares what the Baltimore Sun says? The fact that he's not on the Bills already is pissing me off. I respect how diligently Nix and Co. are approaching the upcoming draft. But they're only getting one or two guys that might start; so how about addressing some needs via trade(s)? We're the only team in the AFC East that hasn't made some sort of moves. So far .. it's been all talk. Talk's cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could get some proven o-line talent in here via trade (especially Gaither), but i truly believe that Nix is determined to make this team through the draft. Hopefully its not his ego stopping him from making what seems to be a "no-brainer" trade for proven talent.

I wish we could get some proven o-line talent in here via trade (especially Gaither), but i truly believe that Nix is determined to make this team through the draft. Hopefully its not his ego stopping him from making what seems to be a "no-brainer" trade for proven talent.

Hopefully he's not that inflexible. That's the right way to build - primarily through the draft, but it can't be the only way. He has signed a few free agents, so there's some hope.