Some Draft Thinking

I have been thinking and was looking at a list of current Free Agents and then looking at the draft. Heres what I was thinking...

3 Free Agents I would like to see brought in:

1.) Gerard Warren- NT- Played for Oakland last year. He is 6'4"- 330 pounds. He would add a big physical body in the middle of our defense with good experience. Hes 32 years old and has started 127 games in his 10 year career playing with 3 teams (Cleveland, Denver, and Oakland). He has experience in the 3-4. He is a guy I have been hoping the Bills would sign since he was released. He also played with Andra Davis in college and in Cleveland so that helps.

2.) Antonio Pierce- ILB- He is 32 years old. Played for NY Giants last year. I have always been a fan of him. He was injured last year only starting and playing in 9 games. Hes a tough physical football player who can bring alot of experience and leadership to this defense. He played with Kawika Mitchell in NY. He has started 94 games in his 10 year career with 686 career tackles. He can add depth and give the Bills alot of flexibility with the LB corps. With the Andra Davis signing a few weeks ago and signing him to a 1-2 year deal, it could allow us to move Mitchell and Posluszny to OLB where they have both played before. Posluszny played OLB in his career at Penn State and thats where he was good. Then that would allow Maybin to learn the OLB role and be a situational player who gets alot of playing time. Then we can say goodbye to Kelsay and it wouldn't really affect us if Schobel decides to retire. Then we would also have Ellis and Ellison for depth.

3.) Chester Pitts- OG- He is 31 years old. He has 114 career starts in his 9 year career. He was injured last season. He adds depth in the middle of our line and allows us to have a proven starter just in case Eric Wood isn't ready, and allows us to have a solid backup plan. And when Eric Wood is fully ready to come back, we can slide him into either LG, C, or RG. Whichever player is performing the worse. It solidifies the middle of our O-line.

All three of these players can be had at a cheaper cost because of their age. 4 years ago these guys where worth much more. They all bring lots of experience and add depth and possibly starters to areas of need.

Now lets swift focus to the Draft (Bills first five picks):

1st Round- Bryan Bulaga- OT- Iowa- My personal favorite O-linemen in this draft. This would instantly improve our offensive line. Hes polished, had good balance and good feet. Hes strong and uses his hands well. Great run blocker who can push to the second level. And hes a good pass protector. Not many negatives and seems to be a safe choice.

2nd Round- Terrance Cody- NT- Alabama- He can solidify our front 7 if he stays in shape. This guy is a beast. Has a huge frame, long arms, great strength and commands double teams. Great tackler and gets a great push up the middle.

3rd Round- Eric Decker- WR- Minnesota- Big (6'3"- 217 pounds) strong receiver who is great over the middle. Great route runner. Great awareness. Good hands and body control. Hes also a leader.

4th Round- John Skelton- QB- Fordham- Big strong QB (6'5"- 240 pounds). He has pretty good accuracy. Has a great arm, can make all the throws. He has a good release and goes through his progression well. He is also pretty mobile.

5th Round- Matt Tennant- C- Good awareness and good technician. Hes quick, tough and finishes his blocks. Hes highly competitive and can be a leader in the locker room. He still has room to get bigger. And he can play really nasty.

Well there you have it, thats how I would like to see things play out. I think this could give us a pretty solid team that we could be excited about.

LETS GO BILLS!!!

I wouldnt hate this scenario at all. I dont think Cody will be there in rd2 though, I think Cam thomas is a more likely pick here. But that would be a good start in my eyes too. :thumbsup:

So who is our starting QB????

Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Brohm will make fools of themselves for a year or two while we wait and hope and pray that our 4th round pick out of Fordham will emerge as a franchise QB that will lead us to the playoffs.

Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Brohm will make fools of themselves for a year or two while we wait and hope and pray that our 4th round pick out of Fordham will emerge as a franchise QB that will lead us to the playoffs.

Unless we take Clausen at #9 or McCoy later on, this is probably the sad truth IMO.

I have been thinking and was looking at a list of current Free Agents and then looking at the draft. Heres what I was thinking...

1.) Gerard Warren- NT- Played for Oakland last year. He is 6'4"- 330 pounds. He would add a big physical body in the middle of our defense with good experience. Hes 32 years old and has started 127 games in his 10 year career playing with 3 teams (Cleveland, Denver, and Oakland). He has experience in the 3-4. He is a guy I have been hoping the Bills would sign since he was released. He also played with Andra Davis in college and in Cleveland so that helps.

2.) Antonio Pierce- ILB- He is 32 years old. Played for NY Giants last year. I have always been a fan of him. He was injured last year only starting and playing in 9 games. Hes a tough physical football player who can bring alot of experience and leadership to this defense. He played with Kawika Mitchell in NY. He has started 94 games in his 10 year career with 686 career tackles. He can add depth and give the Bills alot of flexibility with the LB corps. With the Andra Davis signing a few weeks ago and signing him to a 1-2 year deal, it could allow us to move Mitchell and Posluszny to OLB where they have both played before. Posluszny played OLB in his career at Penn State and thats where he was good. Then that would allow Maybin to learn the OLB role and be a situational player who gets alot of playing time. Then we can say goodbye to Kelsay and it wouldn't really affect us if Schobel decides to retire. Then we would also have Ellis and Ellison for depth.

3.) Chester Pitts- OG- He is 31 years old. He has 114 career starts in his 9 year career. He was injured last season. He adds depth in the middle of our line and allows us to have a proven starter just in case Eric Wood isn't ready, and allows us to have a solid backup plan. And when Eric Wood is fully ready to come back, we can slide him into either LG, C, or RG. Whichever player is performing the worse. It solidifies the middle of our O-line.

All three of these players can be had at a cheaper cost because of their age. 4 years ago these guys where worth much more. They all bring lots of experience and add depth and possibly starters to areas of need.

1st Round- Bryan Bulaga- OT- Iowa- My personal favorite O-linemen in this draft. This would instantly improve our offensive line. Hes polished, had good balance and good feet. Hes strong and uses his hands well. Great run blocker who can push to the second level. And hes a good pass protector. Not many negatives and seems to be a safe choice.

2nd Round- Terrance Cody- NT- Alabama- He can solidify our front 7 if he stays in shape. This guy is a beast. Has a huge frame, long arms, great strength and commands double teams. Great tackler and gets a great push up the middle.

3rd Round- Eric Decker- WR- Minnesota- Big (6'3"- 217 pounds) strong receiver who is great over the middle. Great route runner. Great awareness. Good hands and body control. Hes also a leader.

4th Round- John Skelton- QB- Fordham- Big strong QB (6'5"- 240 pounds). He has pretty good accuracy. Has a great arm, can make all the throws. He has a good release and goes through his progression well. He is also pretty mobile.

5th Round- Matt Tennant- C- Good awareness and good technician. Hes quick, tough and finishes his blocks. Hes highly competitive and can be a leader in the locker room. He still has room to get bigger. And he can play really nasty.

Well there you have it, thats how I would like to see things play out. I think this could give us a pretty solid team that we could be excited about.

LETS GO BILLS!!!

A draft that starts with Bulaga at #9 and a NT in round two is a great start! Everything else is icing...

Very nice!

I especially like the free agents that you mentioned, I'm somewhat surprised Warren hasn't already made a visit to One Bills Drive considering how sad our NT situation is.

I think Gailey is sold on Kyle Williams. A hard working Kyle Williams who would like to prove he belongs or a washed up Gerald Warren who was cut by Denver who operated in a 3-4 ?

Gailey may have a plan B to draft the best NT available in the draft in Rd 1 or 2.

I think Gailey is sold on Kyle Williams. A hard working Kyle Williams who would like to prove he belongs or a washed up Gerald Warren who was cut by Denver who operated in a 3-4 ?

Gailey may have a plan B to draft the best NT available in the draft in Rd 1 or 2.

Seems reasonable, but Kyle Williams scares the heck out of me as our NT. I'm sure Gailey and company are going to see what the draft yields before they look to free agency again for help, and I can only hope this regime is open to bringing in FAs after the Draft compared to our last "Nah, we're done" post-draft philosophy.

Trent Edwards...of course...haven't you read anything I've posted...he's going to beat out anyone you bring in here...

Bulaga is a must...or Okung...TRADE UP BUFFALO...

:thumbsup: Trent Edwards?

Good lord....

LETS GO BILLS!!!

How come people keep saying I this and I that and I would like to see things play out like this when all they are doing is

typing almost verbatum from what a NFL Draft guide say's in their analysts assesment of a player. It isn't like your going out there and scouting any of these players, or probably even watching most if any of them. Your just putting together a collage of words and opinions from the so-called experts ie: Mel Kiper etc..Or Chris Mortensen who are normally wrong

with their Mock drafts. Most of these user mock drafts are also getting ridiculous as well..as most people are just siding with the majority of what they see in these mocks and before you know it, everyone has the draft starting out with

Bradford, Suh, McCoy, and Okung or something like that down the line. But, the draft is rarely like that except for the first few players sometimes. That's where teams scouting and personnel departments combined with their War Rooms and loaded with stat's, film, and notes from the combine and player visits really decide who their going to draft. And, like every year it ends up a lot different then all the Mock so-called experts and mock parrots presume. Except for the top 3 picks anything is possible in this draft and you can't take what the GM's like NIX or coaches of the Bill's or any team for that matter say's seriously. Even Suh, McCoy, and Bradford could end up on other team's pending any trades. It's all up for grabs, and you can find hall of the fame talent anywhere in your first 4 founds or so!! Ask Thrumon Thomas, Jerry Rice, Tom Brady etc...about that. :thumbsup: