the pistol offense

Noticed that about a third of the QB's mentioned in that article had their names misspelled / wrong. I'm no spelling whiz myself, but it's hard to take an author seriousy with that many glaring errors. Even a quick proofreading job would have brought to light the errors if the author really knew anything about the NFL....Sorry it's pet peeve of mine to get sports figures' names completely wrong (ie: former Bills GM Tom Donahue, former Cowboys reciever Michael Irving, etc.)

The pistol offense will allow a mobile/running QB from a spread offense to be in a system more suited to what the QB ran in college allowing him to be more successful quicker instead of changing the QB's style to a pro style offense.

Players such as McCoy, Tebow, Pike, LaFevour, & Brown that come from the spread would be better off going into an offensive system that runs the Pistol Offense over a Pro style offense.

Since Gailey ran some of this this offense in KC these QB's would benefit more with the Bills than going to another team that uses much less of the spread/pistol.

Noticed that about a third of the QB's mentioned in that article had their names misspelled / wrong. I'm no spelling whiz myself, but it's hard to take an author seriousy with that many glaring errors. Even a quick proofreading job would have brought to light the errors if the author really knew anything about the NFL....Sorry it's pet peeve of mine to get sports figures' names completely wrong (ie: former Bills GM Tom Donahue, former Cowboys reciever Michael Irving, etc.)

Michael Vick – Eagles, Stephen McGee – Cowboys, Denise Dixon (he's a guy it's Dennis) – Steelers ,Josh Johnson (Josh Freeman) – Bucs, Matt Flynn – Packers, Tyler Thigpen – Dolphins, Jeff Rowe – Patriots, John Parker Wilson – Falcons, Troy Smith – Ravens, John David Booty – Titians Titans, Chase Daniels – Saints, Bret Basanez – Bears, Bret Ratliff – Browns, Alex Smith – 49er’s, Tavares Jackson – Vikings.

This is as far as I've gotten into the piece so far and it's gonna be hard to take this seriously. Slight misspellings are even bad in published works but getting somebodies name completely wrong? (Josh Johnson, Denise)

I'm not real familiar with this scheme so here's something I found that briefly describes it;

Step 1

Line the quarterback up three to four yards behind the center. The alignment of the quarterback is usually directly under center or seven yards back in the shotgun. This alignment is a compromise between the two.

Step 2

Place the single running back in the offense about three to four yards directly behind the quarterback. This blocks the view of the running back for the defense and makes it tougher to discern which direction the running back is going.

Step 3

Utilize the play-action motion to confuse the defense. Because of the alignment mentioned in Step 1 and 2 the play-action pass is extremely effective and is a staple of the pistol offense. The quarterback and running back are far enough off the line of scrimmage that the defense cannot tell if any play is a run or pass.

Step 4

Run the "eleven" personnel package for most of the game. The pistol offense plays almost exclusively in the "eleven" personnel grouping which is one quarterback, a running back, one tight end and three receivers.

Step 5

Use different formations to confuse the defense. Even though the pistol offense uses only one personnel package, the typical pistol offense has thirty different formations that you can run out of this single personnel grouping.

That's really interesting. This offense seems made for a no huddle or hurry up system because the personnel doesn't seem to change.

Here's another writeup. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf,176983

It's written by a guy named Chris Brown but I don't think it's the Bills reporter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/256198-...nse-versatility

Coaches across have praised the "Pistol" because it spreads the defense out like the "shotgun" formation but allows the RB to run downhill at the same time. The Alabama Crimson Tide has used the "Pistol" formation to rush for four touchdowns, and used it when QB Greg McElroy completed a crucial 48-yard pass to Marquis Maze.

At the University of Nevada, coach Chris Ault installed an offense that uses the "Pistol" offense on nearly every play. Nevada offensive coordinator Chris Klenakis said that Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain has queried him on several occasions about the Pistol, especially after Fresno State, featuring McElwain as offensive coordinator, faced off with the Nevada's "Pistol" offense and lost 49-41 in 2007.

So far the "Pistol" has been a success at Bama, and touted true freshman Trent Richardson scored both of his touchdowns last week out of the "Pistol" formation. During the first touchdown, Richardson bounced the ball outside and broke a tackle as he crossed the goal line from nine yards out. During the second, Richardson dashed straight ahead, picked up good blocks, and ran the ball 35 yards to the endzone untouched. Terry Grant had a 42-yard touchdown out of the formation.

In a year that Bama is successfully trying to get more explosive on offense, the "Pistol" formation is bound to become a fixture in the offense for several years to come.

Michael Vick – Eagles, Stephen McGee – Cowboys, Denise Dixon (he's a guy it's Dennis) – Steelers ,Josh Johnson (Josh Freeman) – Bucs, Matt Flynn – Packers, Tyler Thigpen – Dolphins, Jeff Rowe – Patriots, John Parker Wilson – Falcons, Troy Smith – Ravens, John David Booty – Titians Titans, Chase Daniels – Saints, Bret Basanez – Bears, Bret Ratliff – Browns, Alex Smith – 49er’s, Tavares Jackson – Vikings.

This is as far as I've gotten into the piece so far and it's gonna be hard to take this seriously. Slight misspellings are even bad in published works but getting somebodies name completely wrong? (Josh Johnson, Denise)

But there is a Josh Johnson on the Bucs. He started quite a few games last year at QB.

Like a previous post said... Nevada is a big proponent of the Pistol Offense, also when Gailey was in KC that is basically what he ran w/ Tyler Thigpen and they put up big numbers... I would be so happy if someone actually decided to think outside the box here in Buffalo. All the successful offenses in the NFL right now are basically running the college spread offense passing game (NE, NO, even Indy has lots of spread concepts)

smartfootball.com has lots more if you are interested

Interesting artical, but I only see us going pistol if we draft TT.

And that is exactly why Tim Tebow has gone from a third round pick at best three weeks ago to a potential first round pick in the view of many qualified commentators. The expectations re Chan's offence is what is driving this, together with the need to sell tickets in Jacksonville. If Claussen and Tebow are both there at #9, picking Tebow would not be taking the best player available (even at the position) and would be a monumental error IMO. Worst case: we draft Tebow to suit Chan and Claussen falls to .....The New England Patriots. We would be kicking ourselves for another 10-12 years.

And that is exactly why Tim Tebow has gone from a third round pick at best three weeks ago to a potential first round pick in the view of many qualified commentators. The expectations re Chan's offence is what is driving this, together with the need to sell tickets in Jacksonville. If Claussen and Tebow are both there at #9, picking Tebow would not be taking the best player available (even at the position) and would be a monumental error IMO. Worst case: we draft Tebow to suit Chan and Claussen falls to .....The New England Patriots. We would be kicking ourselves for another 10-12 years.

i disagree. what if...big what if...the bills take tebow for all the intangibles, and work within his strengths and his comfort zone to utilize what he does best ? therefore, we would have an offense built around a "unique" qb who refuses to lose and makes all players around him better. not to mention he could make marshawn see the error of his ways and get people to take the buffalo "hometown discount" so that we can retain all of our good players, and also attract top-tier free agents to buffalo because of the new success of the team. and don't get me started on what he will do for tthe community and the economy...

i disagree. what if...big what if...the bills take tebow for all the intangibles, and work within his strengths and his comfort zone to utilize what he does best ? therefore, we would have an offense built around a "unique" qb who refuses to lose and makes all players around him better. not to mention he could make marshawn see the error of his ways and get people to take the buffalo "hometown discount" so that we can retain all of our good players, and also attract top-tier free agents to buffalo because of the new success of the team. and don't get me started on what he will do for tthe community and the economy...

Marshawn and Tim Tebow. Hmmmm...a clash of cultural opposites if ever there was one.

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of time for Tebow, who is one of the greatest college players of all time, has off the charts intangibles and is just a first rate quality individual. Don't like him at #9 and don't necessarily like him at the QB position. If as a QB his "system" options are limited (and even Trestman, who is in his camp, has said so) it will only be a matter of time (not long) before NFL defenses figure out how to shut him, and the Bills offence, down. I know that not everyone agrees, but I am with those who see Claussen as a bona fide franchise QB, and that obviously influences my opinion of what we should do if he is there at #9.

The pistol offense will allow a mobile/running QB from a spread offense to be in a system more suited to what the QB ran in college allowing him to be more successful quicker instead of changing the QB's style to a pro style offense.

Players such as McCoy, Tebow, Pike, LaFevour, & Brown that come from the spread would be better off going into an offensive system that runs the Pistol Offense over a Pro style offense.

Since Gailey ran some of this this offense in KC these QB's would benefit more with the Bills than going to another team that uses much less of the spread/pistol.

The University of Nevada, Reno runs the pistol offense. They put up a lot of points, but the passing game is almost obslete. Besides being mobile, the quarterback needs to be strong to take hits as well as have an offensive line that can hold blocks longer than usual.

It is a college offense. If the Bills want some package of this offense okay, but the Bills don't need to continue acting like a college football team. Time for a real offense.

The University of Nevada, Reno runs the pistol offense. They put up a lot of points, but the passing game is almost obslete. Besides being mobile, the quarterback needs to be strong to take hits as well as have an offensive line that can hold blocks longer than usual.

It is a college offense. If the Bills want some package of this offense okay, but the Bills don't need to continue acting like a college football team. Time for a real offense.

My feelings exactly, which is one reason I want Clausen and not Tebow.