kyle williams

this guy is a hard working, humble, blue collar, lunchpail packin' widebody. seems like i thought of him as a 3-4 DE. but the new staff sees him as a nose tackle. i've heard many people refer to him as the "obvious passing down" nose for our new D, but could he be the #1, every down nose tackle for us? i have to believe he will work as hard as humanly possible to do whatever is required, so is it too much of a stretch to think that he could pack on some more muscle and be that guy that O-lines absolutely hate to play against. didn't he take off a bit of weight to fit into jauron's scheme? he has been one of my favorite bills over the last few years and i just hope they have a place for him on the field.

I know he's a bit undersided for a 3-4 NT, but I don't remember Freddy or Jeff Wright being all that big when the Bills ran the 3-4 in the late 80's and 90's. How is this different?

And exactly how did that run defense do anchored by Jeff Wright? Also helped to have had a guy named Smith on one side.

I know he's a bit undersided for a 3-4 NT, but I don't remember Freddy or Jeff Wright being all that big when the Bills ran the 3-4 in the late 80's and 90's. How is this different?

Offensive linemen are quite larger now.

this guy is a hard working, humble, blue collar, lunchpail packin' widebody. seems like i thought of him as a 3-4 DE. but the new staff sees him as a nose tackle. i've heard many people refer to him as the "obvious passing down" nose for our new D, but could he be the #1, every down nose tackle for us? i have to believe he will work as hard as humanly possible to do whatever is required, so is it too much of a stretch to think that he could pack on some more muscle and be that guy that O-lines absolutely hate to play against. didn't he take off a bit of weight to fit into jauron's scheme? he has been one of my favorite bills over the last few years and i just hope they have a place for him on the field.

I was about to start a nose tackle thread but your post saved me the trouble. I will just hitch on to yours. I agree Kevin Williams is a very good player and I think with some limitations he will be able to play the nose position especially in the transition to a true 3-4 remember the Bills are not going to go to a 3-4 exclusively. The Bills will still need another nose tackle but a little different type who will play on first down and on short yardage situations. This will be a big 330 lb + immovable object like a Ted Washington. What the Bills do not need because of Williams is an every down nose tackle. The big run stuffer is an easier guy to find also. This guy does not have to be a super athletic Sam Adams type. He needs to be big and strong take up blockers and generally stuff it up in there. He does not have to be a great pass rusher either. The Bills should be able to pick up such a player on the second or even more likely the third day of the draft. I expect to see plenty of Williams lined up at the NT maybe even DE Let the Offense look for him.

I was about to start a nose tackle thread but your post saved me the trouble. I will just hitch on to yours. I agree Kevin Williams is a very good player and I think with some limitations he will be able to play the nose position especially in the transition to a true 3-4 remember the Bills are not going to go to a 3-4 exclusively. The Bills will still need another nose tackle but a little different type who will play on first down and on short yardage situations. This will be a big 330 lb + immovable object like a Ted Washington. What the Bills do not need because of Williams is an every down nose tackle. The big run stuffer is an easier guy to find also. This guy does not have to be a super athletic Sam Adams type. He needs to be big and strong take up blockers and generally stuff it up in there. He does not have to be a great pass rusher either. The Bills should be able to pick up such a player on the second or even more likely the third day of the draft. I expect to see plenty of Williams lined up at the NT maybe even DE Let the Offense look for him.

if this is the case, and we see a lot of situational formations...would it be conceiveable to have a lighter "pin your ears back and get to the qb as quick as possible" obvious passing formation along with a nobody under 300 lbs on the front line "none shall pass" goal line package with 4 down lineman that could all pass for nfl dt's?

Yeah and did you watch those superbowls? Esp the one with Emmitt running right up the middle on Wright? We need a fat ass in there.

News flash.. Jeff Wright sucked... Very much the glaring weak link of those teams... Freddy was very strong as is Williams.. I like Williams there, I think he'll work out well in a rotational situation at Nose... they need a complimenting player there...

It all depends if our defense wants to have a 1 or 2 gap NT. Not every 3-4 in the league has a 330 lb nose tackle. Look at Arizona and San Diego for examples. Jay Ratliff (303 lbs) and Darnell Dockett (275 lbs) are of comparable weight. Although I will add they have a good 3-4 inches on Kyle.

Anyways Chan said today that they weren't going to run the 3-4 on every down...more of a hybrid 3-4.

It all depends if our defense wants to have a 1 or 2 gap NT. Not every 3-4 in the league has a 330 lb nose tackle. Look at Arizona and San Diego for examples. Jay Ratliff (303 lbs) and Darnell Dockett (275 lbs) are of comparable weight. Although I will add they have a good 3-4 inches on Kyle.

Anyways Chan said today that they weren't going to run the 3-4 on every down...more of a hybrid 3-4.

as far as the height thing goes, don't we ideally want someone shorter with good leverage to get under the pads of the center/guard to stand them straight up and take away their push? if that is the case, williams is perfect at 6'1''. and yeah, 305 or wherever he is listed is not a lightweight, but is it conceiveable for him to add 10 t0 15 lbs and not lose any quickness/explosive burst off the line?

It's not any different. The Bills couldn't stop the run then and they won't be able to with Kyle Williams at NT. Oh look OJ Anderson is still running through the Bills defense......

In the 1980's and early 90's, there weren't too many defensive or offensive players that weighed above 300 lbs. A 280lb or 290lb NT in this era is a 320+NT in 2010.

Also, Kyle Williams doesn't have Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, or Cornelius Bennett playing alongside or behind him.

This is why it is different!!!

In the 1980's and early 90's, there weren't too many defensive or offensive players that weighed above 300 lbs. A 280lb or 290lb NT in this era is a 320+NT in 2010.

Also, Kyle Williams doesn't have Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, or Cornelius Bennett playing alongside or behind him.

This is why it is different!!!

Yup, that's exactly right. Plus Wright got blown off the line many, many times. He was tough but just too small. Same with Kyle. He's not built to tie up two OL , he's meant to penetrate.