Trent Edwards "confident" he'll be the Bills Starter

From the Buffalo News via Profootballtalk.com:

"I've always been a confident player, regardless if someone doesn't want me to play or not," Edwards said Tuesday, per the Buffalo News. "If the media doesn't like me, if a coach doesn't like me, I'm still a confident player. That's not going to change anything about me. People can criticize me. There's obviously doubters out there. It's my opportunity, my chance right now, to change those into believers."

"I don't want to talk negatively about last year's staff," Edwards said, "but the hard part for me as a quarterback, you want to have one person to listen to and one voice, and I feel like the last couple years you would say one thing to one guy and he would say it to another guy and what you're looking for would kind of get lost in the process. I feel like here with the situation we're in, if you like something offensively you're telling it to the head coach."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ck-competition/

I know the Trent haters are going to have a field day with this but this is EXACTLY the type of attitude I want my QB to have.

Enough of the Jauron "it's tough to win" bull ****. I want EVERY player on the Bills to believe in himself, the coaches, the process and the team.

It's also the first point I've seen Trent say anything even remotely negative about the former administration. We've got QB's on the roster, let them compete and let the best man win.

From the Buffalo News via Profootlballtalk.com:

"I've always been a confident player, regardless if someone doesn't want me to play or not," Edwards said Tuesday, per the Buffalo News. "If the media doesn't like me, if a coach doesn't like me, I'm still a confident player. That's not going to change anything about me. People can criticize me. There's obviously doubters out there. It's my opportunity, my chance right now, to change those into believers."

"I don't want to talk negatively about last year's staff," Edwards said, "but the hard part for me as a quarterback, you want to have one person to listen to and one voice, and I feel like the last couple years you would say one thing to one guy and he would say it to another guy and what you're looking for would kind of get lost in the process. I feel like here with the situation we're in, if you like something offensively you're telling it to the head coach."

In a situation like there is in Buffalo where it is a three-way competition, if all three of them aren't confident they are going to win the job, then they shouldn't even be there. That is the exact attitude you want from any player, not just QB. Seeing how he is hands down the best QB on the roster currently (that might not be saying much), he should be confident. Who knows, maybe if Gailey is this miracle worker with QBs that alot of people on this board claim he is, maybe they shouldn't give up on Edwards.

From the Buffalo News via Profootlballtalk.com:

I don't necessarily agree that Trent said he will win the QB starting spot...just that he is and always was a confident player no matter the adversity. I am actually glad to hear this and I'm sure many share this sentiment.

May the best QB win!

I know the Trent haters are going to have a field day with this but this is EXACTLY the type of attitude I want my QB to have.

Enough of the Jauron "it's tough to win" bull ****. I want EVERY player on the Bills to believe in himself, the coaches, the process and the team.

It's also the first point I've seen Trent say anything even remotely negative about the former administration. We've got QB's on the roster, let them compete and let the best man win.

:rolleyes:

Good for him speaking his mind about the Jauron regime. A QB should be a team leader, and I have no problem with him saying anything negative about a painfully ineffective offensive game plan.

I liked Edwards presser...showed that he can be nice and still throw everyone under the bus...attacked the media, critical fans, coaching regime, and cited injuries on offense I.E. the O Line...it's nice to know he's not oblivious to the facts and is holding EVERYONE accountable..."it's a team game"...damn skippy...cited his own injury problems as well...and I don't exactly know how you "stay healthy"...other than training...but his "I should've avoided the big hits"...I don't think he had much of an option most times...but whatever...if he stays healthy, he's a franchise QB and I can't WAIT to rub it in to all you haters...of course at that point you all will be talking about always knowing he had the skill set, and you're so happy for him...cuz yooz a slick hata yooz a slick hata...

Me personally, I am not a so-called Trent hater! I hate poor decision making, I hate when a QB can't sense defensive pressure and breakdowns which lead to fumbles and sacks! I hate when a QB can't read the defense and throws the ball to guys with the wrong colors on their shirts! I hate having a QB who plays bad in rainy weather, cold weather, foggy weather, snowy weather, in opposing stadiums, when the Bill's are down etc...I hate that he turned on Schonert which resulted in his firing and now is hiding by blaming the former coaches, etc...etc....It's sort of like the parent who keeps defending their kid growing up by saying it's the crowd he hangs with that's bad not poor little Trent ! Until one day little Trent becomes big trent and he moves out of the house...get's in trouble with the law! Daddy (D.J.) is no longer there to stick up for Trent. So he goes to jail as everyone realizes that it wasn't just the crowd he hung with that Trent was bad (stunk), He was just a bad character!!! Trent there is nowhere to hide, I don't hate you, but I don't like you either. Trent tread lightly and be good because Daddy's gone and there is nowhere to hide and nobody else to blame for your ineptitude!! :rolleyes:

Again, he is deflecting blame for his suckiness.

"I dont want to talk negatively about last year's staff"

well you just did m-fer.

I havent heard him say much (if anything) about how hard he needs to work to improve his game.

If he did speak negatively about them, well just put him in with anyone else who has ever shouted "Go Bills" on a sunday afternoon. If he doesn't answer a question, people will criticize him and if he does he will get criticized. Everything he said appears to be pretty accurate, and you want all your players to be confident.

I think Edwards main problem is durability issues - he's missed a lot of games going back to his college career, this is not a character flaw just a fact- I think he's more suited to being a #2 a guy who can come in a couple games and not lose.

maybe he is just bitter that "last year's staff" nailed him to the bench where he belongs... and he wants to further the agenda that he was benched because they didnt know what they were doing.

You are correct, Edwards does belong on a bench, on a team that has capable NFL quarterbacks, which the Bills don't, so in this case he is the best they have-by several country miles too, not even close. Fitz is a #3 at best and not sure Brohm should even be allowed to touch a football.

I liked Edwards presser...showed that he can be nice and still throw everyone under the bus...attacked the media, critical fans, coaching regime, and cited injuries on offense I.E. the O Line...it's nice to know he's not oblivious to the facts and is holding EVERYONE accountable...

Not quite sure how the media and critical fans are causes for the team sucking, but, obviously, Trent needs to deflect blame for his poor performance.

It's not like I was expecting him to come to the presser and say:

"We went 6-10 last year. I played a big part in achieving that sad sack record. My bad."

You are correct, Edwards does belong on a bench, on a team that has capable NFL quarterbacks, which the Bills don't, so in this case he is the best they have-by several country miles too, not even close. Fitz is a #3 at best and not sure Brohm should even be allowed to touch a football.

Exactly.

Even if the fan-boy fantasy comes true and they draft Teblow in the 2d round, he won't be starting in September.

I agree with that. I would rather see him as the starter than a Vet who cost the team a 2nd rounder or more.

The team will be bad this year. Im cool with it. Next year the Bills will have the pick of the litter for the true franchise QB.

If Edwards proves me wrong, thats cool. I dont see it happening with his obvious external locus of control.