Football Outsiders article on best/worst offensive linemen

I know there are Jason Peters haters on this board. I would like to think I am not one of those. I have always thought he was a bit overrated, and was glad when we traded him.

However, I did think it was a mistake not to draft a Tackle last year. Michael Oher would have been my choice, but others would have worker later in the draft too. For instances, William Beatty on the NYG or Ebben Britton on Jax or Phil Loadholt on Minn all would have worked too.

Anyways, it is obvious we will have to draft and replace Peters this year-FOR SURE. but here is an interesting article about just how bad Peters was vs the pass rush last year.

The article link by tim graham:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12064/a-look-at-some-ole-o-linemen

"Also of interest to Bills fans is their former left tackle, three-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters, graded as the worst at his position. Peters, an elite run blocker, struggled against the NFC East's superstar edge rushers, allowing seven sacks and four hurries"

I'm not a true Peters guy but regardless of the numbers he still would have been better than the crew that played LT last year.

Perhaps the worst part of the ordeal was what it told the other players on the Bills. Sure they paid Lee Evans "market" value, but what did they do to the only Pro Bowler they've had other than the punter?

Whether the Pro Bowl nods were deserved or not, trading essentially a franchise tackle in the prime of their career doesn't make players think your franchise is committed to winning...imo of course.

And now they're going to have to spend the #9 on an LT...

I know there are Jason Peters haters on this board. I would like to think I am not one of those. I have always thought he was a bit overrated, and was glad when we traded him.

However, I did think it was a mistake not to draft a Tackle last year. Michael Oher would have been my choice, but others would have worker later in the draft too. For instances, William Beatty on the NYG or Ebben Britton on Jax or Phil Loadholt on Minn all would have worked too.

Anyways, it is obvious we will have to draft and replace Peters this year-FOR SURE. but here is an interesting article about just how bad Peters was vs the pass rush last year.

The article link by tim graham:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12064/a-look-at-some-ole-o-linemen

"Also of interest to Bills fans is their former left tackle, three-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters, graded as the worst at his position. Peters, an elite run blocker, struggled against the NFC East's superstar edge rushers, allowing seven sacks and four hurries"

Be ready for your post to be deleted any minute now. It isn't a democratic board around here.

Be ready for your post to be deleted any minute now. It isn't a democratic board around here.

No posts have been deleted. Three threads all sourcing the same story have been merged.

Regards,

the management

Not surprising considering they both are terrible at thier positions. Hangartner was lost in Buffalo last year, had trouble getting the ball to the QB and unless you compare him to Peters, he was a penalty machine. Peters just plain is overrated and overpaid, just like he was the last year in Buffalo.

Hangartner had 4 penalties, which works out to a penalty every 4 games (hardly a "penalty machine"). This, again, despite playing between 2 rookies and then a rookie and a backup. Peters has no such excuses (it was a new team/offense for Peters, just like it was for Hangartner).

I'm not a true Peters guy but regardless of the numbers he still would have been better than the crew that played LT last year.

Perhaps the worst part of the ordeal was what it told the other players on the Bills. Sure they paid Lee Evans "market" value, but what did they do to the only Pro Bowler they've had other than the punter?

Whether the Pro Bowl nods were deserved or not, trading essentially a franchise tackle in the prime of their career doesn't make players think your franchise is committed to winning...imo of course.

It would be asinine to pay Peters $10M/year just because he was better than what the Bills had. That sends a worse message to the players, especially after the stunt he pulled by staying away until the last possible second. And if you've noticed, not a single player has made any public comments about losing Peters.

He did despite coming back from groin surgery and dealing with injuries all year. But hey let's hold that against him. I hope you are as harsh when Eric Wood comes back from injury :rolleyes:

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :D

Give it up PDaddy. run blocking is a luxury for an offensive left tackle. They are paid big bucks to protect the franchise QB's from getting hit, and JP doesn't do that. Get off his bandwagon.

Hangartner had 4 penalties, which works out to a penalty every 4 games (hardly a "penalty machine"). This, again, despite playing between 2 rookies and then a rookie and a backup. Peters has no such excuses (it was a new team/offense for Peters, just like it was for Hangartner).

It would be asinine to pay Peters $10M/year just because he was better than what the Bills had. That sends a worse message to the players, especially after the stunt he pulled by staying away until the last possible second. And if you've noticed, not a single player has made any public comments about losing Peters.

So you're ripping the Bills for not shelling out a mega bucks deal to a guy who has fallen on his face two years in a row?

REALLY?

Yes, they still have a hole at LT, but they would have a permanent hole at LT if they had paid mega millions to a guy who keeps getting our QB hurt. This is RUben Brown all over again. THe popularity bowl isn't reason enough to like a guy, especially at O-Line.

So you're ripping the Bills for not shelling out a mega bucks deal to a guy who has fallen on his face two years in a row?

REALLY?

Yes, they still have a hole at LT, but they would have a permanent hole at LT if they had paid mega millions to a guy who keeps getting our QB hurt. This is RUben Brown all over again. THe popularity bowl isn't reason enough to like a guy, especially at O-Line.

How did you misinterpret my post to say that I'm ripping the Bills? I wasn't even being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

He did despite coming back from groin surgery and dealing with injuries all year. But hey let's hold that against him. I hope you are as harsh when Eric Wood comes back from injury :rolleyes:

Hrm...interesting though how these rankings of Jason Peters don't include run blocking which is perhaps his specialty :D

Wow, you love banging that Peter's drum don't you. So you are saying pay him to run block not to protect the 30 million dollar investment you have a QB. STOP the arguement dude, Peters is over rated. his best years are behind him when he was hungry and had something to prove. Move on....

Cut and pasted from Rotoworld:

Eagles LT Jason Peters graded as the worst at his position in 2009, according to Football Outsiders.

It's a crime that Peters made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Birds after signing a six-year, $60.657 million contract. He led the team in penalties with 11, allowed seven sacks and gave up four hurries. The Eagles sorely need Peters to improve his pass blocking no matter who is under center.

Not sure how so many people on TBD still complain that the Bills got rid of this overrated tackle. His last year in Buffalo he led the league in sacks given up, and by no small margin either. Not worth half of the money he wanted from us or got from Philly.

I totally agree with you. Peters is flat out overrated and lazy

I feel good about the whole Peter's situation. An undrafted free agent who played LT well for us for a couple of years and then we got a 1st round pick for him when his price got too high. Sounds like a great success story for the franchise.

With the pick we got for him we picked up Wood, who if he recovers, should be a force on the line for the next 10 yrs.

Sure, the FO should have done a better job of filling the LT position, but I'd rather have Wood and his attitude than Peters any day.

Ranks Peters, Hangartner as the worst at their respective positions last year in terms of sacks allowed and missed blocks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654

I wonder if JP knows those stats. He didn't know he gave up 11.5 sacks the year before. :thumbsup:

and i may have been one of the few people left in wny who didn't suit up and play alongside hangartner last season.

I suited up, but never played.

Injury prone OL men aren't worth $10 million a year and Peters is an injury prone OL man. We'll have to see about Wood. My prediction for Peters last year was that he would get injured and miss games. He did. My prediction is he will miss more games due to injury in the next couple of years, probably in 2010. And then coming back from injury he won't be in the best shape and that will cause more problems for his team. The point is based on last year with Philly it is a good thing we did not sign JP to a long term, high money contract.

You forgot to add that next year he'll hold out for a bigger contract.

Interesting that Freddy led all RB's with blown blocks, as well.

I'd like to see that translated into percentages. I have a feeling he pass blocked a lot more than most RB's last year.

Would you trade Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson straight up for Peters? I wouldn't.

I feel good about the whole Peter's situation. An undrafted free agent who played LT well for us for a couple of years and then we got a 1st round pick for him when his price got too high. Sounds like a great success story for the franchise.

With the pick we got for him we picked up Wood, who if he recovers, should be a force on the line for the next 10 yrs.

Sure, the FO should have done a better job of filling the LT position, but I'd rather have Wood and his attitude than Peters any day.

You forgot to add that Shawn Nelson was courtesy of the Eagles last year too.

I don't think that Hangartner was a bad center at all this season. Keep in mind the guy was playing on a new team, with rookies next to him, and on a line that wasn't exactly very well conceived. I think with a good LT (1st round type talent) and more experience from Wood and Levitre, Hangartners play will rise.

I remember several times where a DT just pushed him back in the pocket. Should at least be able to hold his ground for a couple secs.