Jason Peters ripped for his poor play in Philly last year

Let's find some middle ground here and let the Peters trade recede into history...

I feel like many people are still going to the extremes on either end with this issue.

I deleted the body of your post so as to save space but thanks for an excellent post.

Posts such as yours are in short abundance on this message board. As you suggest individuals get too entrenched in their opinions and end up arguing extreme points of view.

I think it's mentally intimidating or maybe just too taxing for people to look at issues as being deep, wide and complex. Our country and our time in history seems to be one where people are unwilling to have the mental capacity and the integrity and endurance and desire to examine issues carefully and fairly. We end up with what we have today: people and media outlets that oversimplify extremely complex issues and polarize opinions. Maybe it's a coping mechanism...but so many people would rather ingest their beliefs in small, tidy portions...McNews as some have put it. It's like fast food for people too lazy to learn about cooking, preparing and eating real food. Just go to the drive thru and have another burger.

I thought the Bills totally botched the Peters situation going way back to the extensions given to Schobel and Kelsay...but I wouldn't disagree with a single word that you wrote. There's plenty of blame on both sides that led up to the divorce between the Bills and Peters and it will be a few more years before there's any closure and perspective on the issue.

Thanks again for your excellent post.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's find some middle ground here and let the Peters trade recede into history...

Did/does Peters have the potential to be elite? Yes

Were we worse off without him last year? Yes

Has he played as an elite tackle over the last 2 years? No (2008) and probably not (2009)

Could he return to 2007 form? He might

Is he paid too much money? Based on the last 2 years I'd say yes. Not saying he was awful last year, but I also don't

think he played as say a top 3 LT (in relation to his salary).

Will the Bills be better off without him long term? I think so.

Let me explain the last answer: He wanted too much money, which was probably the Bills fault for signing

Dockery and Walker to such huge contracts. But, he wasn't happy here, didn't want to be here anymore so

even if he got paid would we have gotten the best of him? If he was unhappy, he'd be griping which could

make other guys unhappy (we've all seen it in our workplaces), we got pretty good value for him in the trade,

we created a hole (which hurt us last year) but ultimately if we had spent that much money on him we might

have had to short change other positions moving forward, which we couldn't really afford to do knowing how

many spots we had to upgrade. If he was guaranteed to play as an elite LT for the next 5 to 10 years you pay

him, if you have any reservations, you let him go.

So, can't we agree on the fact that he doesn't suck and has and might be able to play as an elite LT but there

were some question marks if he could do it on a consistent basis to warrant the money he was asking for?

I feel like many people are still going to the extremes on either end with this issue.

What the Bills gave Dockery and Walker had nothing to do with Peters' salary demands. Once he made the Pro Bowl, and hired Eugene Parker, his demands were what they ended-up being.

Did/does Peters have the potential to be elite? Yes

I also shortened your post. That is every post on here. No one disputes he has the talent to be elite. The argument has been over the results of the past two years.