We Can't Take CJ Spiller

Astrobot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of simulator is this ?? do you drive it or what ?? how do you know who is left after a pick . cause those picks you have don't make any sense at all for what we need . and the second one isn't any better than the first !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Why don't you click on the link and see how it works before going after him-- Draft Tek is pretty cool stuff.

Wrong.

I put a Grab on Spiller in our Simulator and here is the result:

1 9 Buffalo C.J. Spiller RBF Clemson

2 41 Buffalo Vladimir Ducasse OG Massachusetts

3 72 Buffalo Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan

4 107 Buffalo Mike Neal DE34 Purdue P2

5 140 Buffalo Lindsey Witten OLB34 Connecticut

6 178 Buffalo Eric Olsen OC Notre Dame

6 192 Buffalo Blair White WRF Michigan State

7 209 Buffalo Kion Wilson ILB South Florida

7 216 Buffalo Travis Ivey DT34 Maryland

This particular draft was weak at DT, so I adjusted by Grabbing Linval Joseph in RD5. The result:

5 140 Buffalo Linval Joseph DT34

Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan won't make it till the 3rd round,someone will take him in the 2nd or even the 1st round.

There is a shortage of QB's with a decent rating in this years draft and some boards actually have this guy as the #1 QB ahead of Bradford because of Bradford's injuries, they just don't trust that shoulder.

I will go on record mid 5th round or later for Lefevour as far as his draft selection goes. Playing in the CFL in 3 years or less.

Like the draft Astro - question about pick 4 - is there anyone at Rush LB that's available instead of Neal?

I don't think the OTs or DTs (unless for Rush LB) should change....

Arthur Jones of Syracuse would be there at 4, and some see using George Selvie in that role. In this scenario we probably wouldn't take Cam Thomas AND Linval Joseph so we might take Rahim Alem of LSU. You might remember the Auburn game where his sack clinched the victory. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMGSvD1ChE...feature=related shows Alem the best in pass rush; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryng2aKm31Q...feature=related shows him the best vs the run.

2 41 Buffalo Cam Thomas DT34 North Carolina

3 72 Buffalo Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale -- tied for top time in the three-cone drill (7.40 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle

4 107 Buffalo Rahim Alem DE34 LSU

5 140 Buffalo Mardy Gilyard WRS Cincinnati -- "water bug" player Nix talks about

6 178 Buffalo Chris Scott OT Tennessee -- Feature player on line that allowed fewest sacks in SEC

6 192 Buffalo Jammie Kirlew OLB34 Indiana

7 209 Buffalo Marcus Easley WRF Connecticut

7 216 Buffalo Kion Wilson ILB South Florida

Wrong.

I put a Grab on Spiller in our Simulator and here is the result:

5 140 Buffalo Lindsey Witten OLB34 Connecticut

6 192 Buffalo Blair White WRF Michigan State

7 209 Buffalo Kion Wilson ILB South Florida

7 216 Buffalo Travis Ivey DT34 Maryland

This particular draft was weak at DT, so I adjusted by Grabbing Linval Joseph in RD5. The result:

5 140 Buffalo Linval Joseph DT34 East Carolina

6 192 Buffalo Jammie Kirlew OLB34 Indiana

7 209 Buffalo Freddie Barnes WRF Bowling Green

7 216 Buffalo Kion Wilson ILB South Florida

I prefer the second one even though I like White and Ivey. Getting Joseph, the strongest NT in bench press (tied with Petrus) and one of the most explosive (vertical jump was top 3), makes it tons better in our area of need. Many of you like Freddie Barnes, and Jammie Kirlew would provide motivation for Maybin--he'd likely be the last one to leave the film study room and the practice field.

I don't think there is a lot of long range foundation building in those picks.

And IMO, even if Spiller achieved the unlikely and turned out to be like another Chris Johnson it's still altogether possible the Bills would have been better off long term drafting someone else. Here are some reasons for my conviction on this, in no particular order:

1)RB's are relatively easy to find in later rounds.

2)Their shelf life is often shorter than top quality players at other positions. In five years they will be counting the days until Spiller hits the wall. In 5 years a stud LT likely isn't half way thru his career.

3) In the modern NFL, the individual impact of RB's is not nearly what it was 10 years ago and they often need to be rotated out a lot because if they aren't rested enough they wear down. See Adrian Peterson this past season, he was a shadow of his early season self come playoff time.

4)I know some teams end up being successful drafting RB's in round 1, but I think the poor track record of the Bills in acquiring OL/DL in later rounds might make the Bills an exception. Additionally, they've used 2 of their last 6 #1 picks on RB's but the starter is an undrafted free agent who is better than either of them.

6)They already have good RB's. Not great. But good. RB is not the problem with the Bills running game, and getting a 190 pound speed back isn't the answer, IMO.

7) Spiller is certainly no sure thing, either. He had a hard time separating himself from James Davis while at Clemson.

Just my opinion. I know rookie rb's often provide results that the average fan can see and they sell jerseys, but I don't think it's the right way to go.

Arthur Jones of Syracuse would be there at 4, and some see using George Selvie in that role. In this scenario we probably wouldn't take Cam Thomas AND Linval Joseph so we might take Rahim Alem of LSU. You might remember the Auburn game where his sack clinched the victory. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMGSvD1ChE...feature=related shows Alem the best in pass rush; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryng2aKm31Q...feature=related shows him the best vs the run.

5 140 Buffalo Mardy Gilyard WRS Cincinnati -- "water bug" player Nix talks about

I'd be surprised if Gilyard dropped to the 5th... :rolleyes:

I think that in the long run Wood will be the better player for us. I like his skill, his maturity, his leadership and his attitude. Lets not base the trade results on one season and a random event like the broken leg. Had Peters broke his leg would you be ready to declare that the Bills got the best of the trade? Lets look at this trade 5 years down the road and see.

Nelson looks like a good TE to me. How can you criticize a fourth round pick for not cracking the starting line up? When Nelson did start start he graded out well. He needs work on his blocking but I like what I saw overall. He knows how to get open and he has excellent speed and hands. He could be great in the red zone if we can ever build a complete offense.

Look forward.

I hear this unfounded optimism all the time. The truth is we don't know what Wood will turn out to be. I think at the very least he will be a starting caliber guard. Making pro bowls at his position though I have no substantive evidence that would support that. I like the kid and wish him well for his and our team's sake but I haven't seen a thing yet to make me believe he will be better than Peters was at LT not that the guard and LT are even at the same level of importance to a team. I also hope that he takes over his natural spot at center too. Drafting a center in the first round and then making him a guard was kind of silly if he doesn't eventually become our center for the next 5+ years.

I liked the Nelson pick perhaps even better than the Wood pick. That being said I do still criticize the fact that with our crappy TE's and the injuries they suffered he couldn't crack the starting lineup. A 6'6" TE with 4.5 speed and athleticism? How could he not start over the other crap we have?